Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is addition easier than subtraction?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookling

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Why is addition easier than subtraction? Reply with quote

Why is addition easier than subtraction? Just curious..
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Why is addition easier than subtraction? Reply with quote

cookling wrote:
Why is addition easier than subtraction? Just curious..

It isn't, you just think it is Wink

Psychologically, we are "programmed" to accumulate rather than divest. As such, we start with accumulating and then learn to take away. Algorithmically, i.e., arithmetically, there is no difference.

Also, remember Mrs. Addalot's first grade class? She taught that the number line goes to the right for positive numbers and to the left for negative. Left in Latin is sinistra, which is the root for sinister, or evil. Ask a lefty if this is a right oriented world. So, we associate adding with what is right and subtracting with what is wrong. Examples abound...
cookling

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, sir! I suspected it only seems easier. Yet most children see it that way, I know I did. Maybe teachers today have better ways of presenting these two first tasks.
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cookling wrote:
Thank you, sir! I suspected it only seems easier. Yet most children see it that way, I know I did. Maybe teachers today have better ways of presenting these two first tasks.

Yes, indeed it seems easier. In fact, we make it easier by assuming that a quantity is positive, where we must annotate a negative with a minus sign. As soon as that negative appears we panic! Our minds have to readjust to that "sinister" side of the number line and we find it uncomfortable. Teachers are far from immune from this effect and even serve to maintain it--after all, they are only human Wink
eltonyo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes...indeed.

this would explain the simple fact that our national deficit keeps growing and growing and growing. its much simpler to just "add" on some "borrowed" (red) money.

of course, this may also explain why democrats (who have a brain that functions on a higher evolutionary level), do a much better job at something we engineers call... "subtraction!"

history (in america)... is clear on this matter:

http://www.lafn.org/politics/gvdc/Natl_Debt_Chart-2004an.gif
http://zfacts.com/p/318.html
http://zfacts.com/p/480.html

yeah.... uh huh.... it all makes sense now.

(warm poopy "leftist" smile... with a large developed frontal lobe... that has developed the concept of "subtraction".... in this thing we call..... LIFE!!!!!)

Smile

p.s. my opinions... of course.... are trans-fat free and contain 3 grams of fortified omega-3 fatty acids.
youngcook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addition is easier. With addition, no carrying over( whatever the heck that stuff is called) as with subtraction in: 323-128=195 compared to: 123+123=146 Big smile
robinbolt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: interestring Reply with quote

interesting... its human nature we are greedy we like to take more and more and we dont give Big smile ""Mrs. Addalot's first grade class? She taught that the number line goes to the right for positive numbers and to the left for negative.""" this take me back to my golden days love them Smile
Dude111

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site Smile

Quote:
Psychologically, we are "programmed" to accumulate rather than divest. As such, we start with accumulating and then learn to take away. Algorithmically, i.e., arithmetically, there is no difference.

I also believe this may be why (Easier for our brains to manage)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum