Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Differences in cookie sheets Reply with quote

When I make the regular Toll House cookie dough and bake it on standard cookie sheets, it spreads a LOT, and makes a very thin, crispy (crumbly!) cookie. However, if I bake the same dough balls in a cake pan with high(er) sides, the cookies barely spread! They stay thick and round, which I prefer.

Anyone know an explanation for this phenomena??

Elisabeth
psalm1002 at gmail dot com
cecilia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Chocolate chip cookies Reply with quote

Hi

I live in a city located 2,000 meters above the sea level. Whrn I make the cookies they get vey thin and the borders get burned, maybe you know what ca I do about it.

Thank you very much
Danelle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Flat cookies still Reply with quote

I live in the bay area. My grandmother lived here too. I have made 100s of dozens of chocolate chip cookies with her, and have never had a problem...until the 90s.

I have changed the fleishmans margarine back to butter. I have tried crisco, which she also used sometimes.

I have added more flour.

I have used only 1 egg.

FLAT FLAT FLAT.

I am even using the same flour brand.

Same baking soda/powder too.

I want the harder on the outside, softer in the center, drier rather than chewy, crisper rather than cakelike cookie from the 70s.

They stored well in a metal tin or cookie jar.

You could dunk them in milk and they held their shape.

They could last for weeks in the tin with no flavor or texture change.

Now they taste salty, and are chewy, and crumbly at the same time.

Could it be both the flour AND the margarine/crisco/butter has changed since the 70-80s? Or maybe the baking soda/powder?

I even tried extra walnuts.

UGHHHH!

Any other suggestions? I read the whole set of posts here. Only a couple are actually looking for the same thing. Thanks.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Flat cookies still Reply with quote

Danelle wrote:
I live in the bay area. My grandmother lived here too. I have made 100s of dozens of chocolate chip cookies with her, and have never had a problem...until the 90s.

Oven temperature maybe? Did you guys get a new oven during the 90's? Oven temperatures at the same setting vary widely from oven to oven (even same model) from my experience.
SUZL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: flour measuring Reply with quote

Thank you, M. Chu for your experiments with sifting/not sifting flour for Tollhouse cookies! As a child, I always packed my flour to measure it for cookies, just like I packed my brown sugar. I never knew if it was the right way to do it but my cookies came out great. When I made the cookies as an adult, years later, I packed the flour again and got a different result (flat, greasy cookies). Not sure yet what caused the difference, but nice to know that I was "doing it right" all those years, by not sifting the flour. As a fellow scientist of a sort (surgeon), I appreciate the idea of testing various measurements of flour. I just never had the patience to do it myself.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: flour measuring Reply with quote

SUZL wrote:
Thank you, M. Chu for your experiments with sifting/not sifting flour for Tollhouse cookies! As a child, I always packed my flour to measure it for cookies, just like I packed my brown sugar. I never knew if it was the right way to do it but my cookies came out great. When I made the cookies as an adult, years later, I packed the flour again and got a different result (flat, greasy cookies). Not sure yet what caused the difference, but nice to know that I was "doing it right" all those years, by not sifting the flour. As a fellow scientist of a sort (surgeon), I appreciate the idea of testing various measurements of flour. I just never had the patience to do it myself.

I don't remember advocating packing the flour to measure. I think you should use a scale whenever possible.
Risha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Don't have baking soda Reply with quote

Due to an extraordinarily limited ingredients pool, I've only got baking powder available, not baking soda. Do you have any recommendations or explanations on how I can substitute this in? Possibly alternative recipes?
jnblack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: cakey cookies Reply with quote

I used the amount of flour called for in the thin and chewy recipe. I slightly underbaked them. Still they came out very "cakish". Not the nice thin, chewy ones from my youth. What am I doing wrong??? BTW, I used one cup of chocolate chips, 1 cup of Ande's mint pieces. I doubt this is the issue as my friend has made the same cookies and hers were thin and chewy. HELP!
perplexed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: I just want the type cookies I remember as a child Reply with quote

I baked many a cookie growing up. Got married and my husband thought my chocolate chips cookies were the best...Over 38 years later, not matter what, my cookies come out to 'cakey'. He always make the comment, what ever happened to the flat ooey gooey cookies you used to make. From what I'm reading, it's gotta be the flour. Next batch, I'll be sure to sift and may use 1/4 less. I'll let you know. Thanks for all the post, been interesting to read.
Sad Cookie Girl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Nestle Recipe Reply with quote

I think they must have changed the recipe printed on the Nestle package. I baked cookies a lot when I was a teenager. But it has been literally years, since I baked cookies last. I'm on my 4th package of morsels, and they are flat. Not AT ALL like the ones I made years ago. They must have changed their recipe, in some way. I will try adding more flour, so they are thicker. Thanks for the tips Smile
Cookielover

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: HELP Reply with quote

i did the thin and chewy recipe i did exactly how the recipe stated and they still turn out hard and not thin they are delicious but Ive been searching for the perfect soft and thin chocolate chip cookies. Did anyone else have a problem like this? Can anyone help out on how to get the exact same cookies as in the pictures? if you could give me tips on how to make these cookies that would be great. thanks!
Guestie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Reply with quote

The way to make them using butter, real butter, is this: Make sure to use unsweetened butter. Make sure the eggs and butter are at room temperature. Don't sift the flour. Cream the butter, vanilla, sugars by hand and stop at that precise moment comes when they are all incorporated. Add in eggs one by one. I don't use a mixer for any of this. I don't use cookie sheets, I bake them in a 13 x 9 inch glass pan for 20 minutes. (I spray the pan with Pam and wipe it before the dough goes in.) When they come out of the oven, I then put the pan on a rack in the freezer to cool for another twenty. Then I usually sample an edge. The cookies live in the pan less than 48 hours because they are all rapidly consumed, usually only stored covered with plastic wrap on top. The neighbors son commented on how the edges were not hard or burnt. I took some to work to a meeting and the first three people that arrived at the meeting tried them and wanted to hide the remainder from the rest of the folks who would be coming to the meeting. We used to buy the break off kind in the package, but I remember making these with my mother. She used Crisco, but I started using butter when I moved out and it was just better. I had stopped baking when I got married, but recently started again. My current partner, takes a huge square almost immediately. You have to use semi-sweet chips, once I tried the ones from Trader Joe and they were still great. However I tried them with milk chocolate chips and they were a little too cloying for my taste.
BakingLady

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Stupid FLAT WIDE Tollhouse Cookies!!!!!! Reply with quote

Ok, I've read all the comments here, and there seem to be a few folks having the same issue as I do with this confounded recipe. I'm an experienced baker and I've had this same problem with the Nestle recipe ever since I was a kid and tried making this recipe for the very first time, no matter where I lived, and I've lived all over the dang place, so I don't think it's an issue of climate for me. In fact, just the other day at a friend's house, being a proper hostess, she offered up some home baked goods. After sampling her chocolate chip cookies (ok, ok, gorging to my embarrassment) I asked her for the recipe, and was surprised when she snickered and said I could get the same recipe on the back of any Nestle's choc chip bag. I harumphed and said she must be altering the recipe, because mine never came out this good, and she claimed that no, she followed the recipe to the letter. I do the same, each ingredient carefully measured and added and mixed at the appropriate time. However, my cookies come out tasting like baking soda cookies and are so flat you have to scrape them off the pan. Gross. Same results every time at every phase in my life where I decided to try this recipe again, and never any luck!!! What the heck am I doing wrong? How can I come up with these poor excuses for cookies, while others follow the same recipe with such great results??? I want that Tollhouse flavor!! Thanks!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try refrigerating the dough for min. four hours before baking.

if the dough has warmed up, it spreads too fast and goes flat before it 'sets up'

you can also try baking on parchment vs something slippery - a bit more 'resistance' to the spreading....
C Ragsdale

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Original Toll House Cookies Reply with quote

I would like to make a comment about the recipe on the package. It is not the same recipe that my mother made for me 60 years ago. I cannot figure out what was changed, but the cookies are not the same. Years ago the cookies were delicious and we could not stop eating them. I have been baking for years and I know how to follow a recipe. I have tried the recipe a couple of times. My sister has tried it and other people in my family, but with no success. To the Nestle folks, please bring back the real Original recipe.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: