Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

buffalo chicken wings - PLEASE!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shlinki

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: buffalo chicken wings - PLEASE!! Reply with quote

i love these and would love to know if there's a recipe out there that involves baking the wings instead of frying them - and that had a real chillie kick! i hate it when you're lead to believe something will be firey, then you eat it and it isn't hot at all!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never baked wings for buffalo wings before, but I suggest parboiling them for eight to ten minutes, letting them drain completely, tossing in a little oil, and spreading them out on a sheet pan. About 30-40 min. in a 350°F oven should do it. (If you skip parboiling, you may need to bake for 1 to 1.5 hours instead).

For the sauce:
I use a 4:2:1 recipe as in 4 Tbs. butter, 2 Tbs. cider vinegar, 1 Tbs. brown sugar. Melt the butter and mix. Then I add hot sauces as desired. Typically, I'll start with a mild hot sauce to build up enough quantity for dipping (about 1/2 cup or so) and then augment with hot pepper sauces as desired.

Toss the cooked wings in the sauce and serve!
capstinence

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having lived in the South for quite some time, I'd advise against baking them... just fry and saute those mothers in some Crystals Hot Sauce and butter. Serve with a cup of ranch dressing for dipping.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in Buffalo, and the recipe I remember was to soak them in a mixture of 1/2 Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce and half melted butter, and to bake them in a shallow baking pan, turning occasionally
GarlickyGeek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made up my own thing, but everyone that tastest them thinks they are fabulous.

Get a bunch of wings ready (separate the two pieces)

Do 'em in a deep fryer a small batch at a time for just a few minutes so that are not quite done. Very hot oil so still nice and juicy on the inside. Whuile you are cooking up these batches of wings you can make the sauce below:

Sauce:
A bunch if finely chopped fresh garlic
A little oil
Your favorite BBQ sauce
A little brown sugar
Some bourbon
Habanero hot sauce. I make my own with a pile of habanero peppers; dice 'em, add a little salt, cook for a little while until soft, and mix with a little sugar and a little vinegar to taste. You can use any hot sauce you like if you don't want to be bothered making it. Some like Frank's, but there are over 400 kinds of hot sauces out there, so use what you like.

Saute the garlic in the oil just for a minute or so, then mix the next three above in a (big) saucepan. Once it is bubbling good, add hot sauce to taste. I add quite a lot...then throw in the cooked wings and bubble 'em all up for a few minutes. Then take the saucepan (I use all oven-safe cookware, so you may have to transfer to an oven pan if your saucepans have plastic handles) and put in it a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. The ratio of sauce to wings should coat the wings, but you don't want them swimming in the sauce.

Note I do not measure amounts or such things, I do everything by look and taste, so I can't tell you how much of any of this stuff to use. And I make a different amount each time. These wings are spicy hot, sweet, and garlicky with a hint of bourbon taste. I love 'em!
Steve-O

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grill them.

Get a bunch of wings. Cut at the joints and throw the tip away.
Wash and pat dry.
Grill on medium heat.
Brush on "hooters sauce" or the sauce of your choice. Hooters can be bought at most grocery stores.
Turn and baste many times till juices run clear.
Carolei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: buffalo chicken wings - PLEASE!! Reply with quote

shlinki wrote:
i love these and would love to know if there's a recipe out there that involves baking the wings instead of frying them - and that had a real chillie kick! i hate it when you're lead to believe something will be firey, then you eat it and it isn't hot at all!
Wink Es una receta facílisima, le sacas la grasa a las alitas de pollo, la pones en una asadera, le agregas un poco de sal, paprika picante, mantequilla, la llevas al horno hasta que esten bastante doradas aproximadamente 11/2 hra., y en ese momento le agregas salsa barbecue picante o normal, se les deja unos 10 minutos más, y verás que te comerás las mejores alitas del mundo, y sin ninguna fritura.
rexmo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: bufalo wings Reply with quote

Toss with Bufalo chipotle sauce & grill. easier still if you use those wire wing racks for the grill, no turning required. Left one batch on too long, were very dried out. Threw them in the oven covered with some good bbq sauce, and they were maybe better than the ones that were properly cooked.
DuxIl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Original recipe Reply with quote

Buffalo Wings originated at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York, hence the name. Here is the original recipe, as posted on their site. Anything else is a knock-off, or a bad copy. They are not supposed to be so hot that you cannot eat them; their appeal is in a balance between heat and vinegar-induced tang. As you can see, they may be deep-fried (which is the method commercial operators obviously prefer) or baked in the oven!

TO PREPARE:
2 1/2 lb. fresh chicken wings (12-16 whole wings)
1/2 cup Original Anchor Bar Sauce
If preferred, split wings at joint, pat dry. Deep fry at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes,
or bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes until completely cooked and crispy; drain.
Put in bowl, add sauce and toss until wings are completely covered.
Serve with bleu cheese and celery.

As for the sauce, here is what they tell us is in it:

The "Original" recipe ... Cayenne pepper, vinegar, salt, garlic and margarine. All blended together for a rich, smooth fully prepared sauce.

And the sauce has nutritional data posted, too:
Total Fat: 0 .4 g - .6% RDA
Sodium: 185 mg - 7% RDA (Salt is natural from peppers)
Total Carb .1 g - 0% RDA
Sugars 0 g - 0% RDA
Protein 0 g - 0% RDA
brueggjr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Original recipe Reply with quote

DuxIl wrote:
Buffalo Wings originated at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York, hence the name. Here is the original recipe, as posted on their site. Anything else is a knock-off, or a bad copy. They are not supposed to be so hot that you cannot eat them; their appeal is in a balance between heat and vinegar-induced tang. As you can see, they may be deep-fried (which is the method commercial operators obviously prefer) or baked in the oven!

TO PREPARE:
2 1/2 lb. fresh chicken wings (12-16 whole wings)
1/2 cup Original Anchor Bar Sauce
If preferred, split wings at joint, pat dry. Deep fry at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes,
or bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes until completely cooked and crispy; drain.
Put in bowl, add sauce and toss until wings are completely covered.
Serve with bleu cheese and celery.

As for the sauce, here is what they tell us is in it:

The "Original" recipe ... Cayenne pepper, vinegar, salt, garlic and margarine. All blended together for a rich, smooth fully prepared sauce.

And the sauce has nutritional data posted, too:
Total Fat: 0 .4 g - .6% RDA
Sodium: 185 mg - 7% RDA (Salt is natural from peppers)
Total Carb .1 g - 0% RDA
Sugars 0 g - 0% RDA
Protein 0 g - 0% RDA

My recipe is not the "Original" but it is darn tasty. Boil your wings for 20 minutes or until they have cooked through. Drain and transfer the wings to an oiled grill heated to medium heat and grill for 10 minutes. This seems to reduce the amount of fat in the wings while still giving a crispy exterior. I toss them with a sauce I stole from the "Best Recipe" cookbook. mmmmmm wings!
Smillie - OzFire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Tastes like the Original Buffalo Wings Sauce Reply with quote

Tastes similar to the Original Buffalo Wings Sauce
expect mine are much better.
Tell me if doesnt... please ... and why you think so
Great with fish, Pork Chops and Chicken
Use fresh herbs and fresh spices and yours will taste like mine.

SMILLIES WINGS
INGREDIENTS
Fats

5 tablespoons butter, olive oil or duck fat (Duck fat is fantastic, tasty and healthy)
NEVER USE Margarine - It is not a food - even cockroaches avoid it, Shock they will go for any real food stuck in it though. Anger

Fresh Ingredients
1 green onion (chopped up real fine like, some of the green top and all)
2 Clove of garlic
1 table spoon of chopped Sage
1 table spoon of chopped thyme
1 table spoon of chopped parsley

WET Ingredients
1 cup water
1 cup tomato sauce or concentrate
1/2 cup plus molasses
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

DRY Ingredients Refresh these in a dry hot pan before you grind them up for best results
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground Black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon five spice powder
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice

Method
1 - Fry off the onion and garlic till just over translucent.
2 - Throw in all the dry ingredients and thoroughly cook but not burn.
3 - Mix in all the fresh & wet ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer for 40 Min.
4 - Place in blender till very smooth add arrowroot or water chestnut flour (1 Teaspoon) in a little water and simmer till thick.
Keeps well in freezer

Makes 2 1/2 to 3 cups.

I find it hard scaling recipes down to home quantities but this should work fine, When I say 1/4 Teaspoon I realy mean a pinch or big pinch... but if you are going to all the bother why not make up a gallon of the stuff... You will use it far faster than you will imagine

Add a few roasted jalapenos if you like it real hot....
Top and tail the jalapenos Lay out flat under a flame till all burnt on top, Place in plastic bag with olive oil and crushed garlic in it... Fill up bag with charred jalapenos seal and squish the oil around... And let cool. I wrap the bag up in a few towels and leave to cool in a warm corner.

When cool open the bag strain the oil off (it has a wild flavor by now) peel of the skins and discard. Store in the oil if you want or add to your sauce at stage 3.

THE CHICKEN
I steam my chicken wings till cooked, when warm I flour them (some onion power and black pepper and salt in the flour) then chill in the fridge till needed. At least a couple of hours... it needs to rest.

When needed I toss them in very hot oil till golden and heated through, covered in sauce, then a couple of min under a hot flame to set the sauce down then plate up. Taste great without the sauce also.

Less fat than frying totally moist, and more flavor than any customer could ever ask for..

The hotter the oil is the less the food will absorb. If its smoking almost no oil will be taken up at all
ktexp2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only recipe I've liked for baking is to boil the wings in Franks (yes, that's right, unadulterated Frank's Red-hot, they sell it by the gallon in a lot of places, I suggest getting one and doing about 50 wings!) until cooked and then bake them in the oven at 400 F for about 10 minutes. Its a lot like the grilling recipe that was posted; which by the way is the only way to ever do barbecue-flavor wings!

The meat will fall right off the bones and the skin will be crunchy yummy good, and they'll have quite the kick!
brueggjr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktexp2 wrote:
The only recipe I've liked for baking is to boil the wings in Franks (yes, that's right, unadulterated Frank's Red-hot, they sell it by the gallon in a lot of places, I suggest getting one and doing about 50 wings!) until cooked and then bake them in the oven at 400 F for about 10 minutes. Its a lot like the grilling recipe that was posted; which by the way is the only way to ever do barbecue-flavor wings!

The meat will fall right off the bones and the skin will be crunchy yummy good, and they'll have quite the kick!

I might have to try that next time. I love Franks and that seems like a god combo. Thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: bake or grill them Reply with quote

I always bake the wings...and I am from the deep south.

If you bake them hot enough, they will get crispy. Not as crispy as frying them, but still good.

Bake them w/o the sauce, and when they are done toss them in your sauce.
crawdadmax

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: baked wings Reply with quote

I've found that baking only seems to work in a covection oven. Otherwise, wings really don't get crisp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum