Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Food Storage Containers.... Tupperware?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KinkyFishHead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Food Storage Containers.... Tupperware? Reply with quote

I was looking for peoples opinions as to what is a good form of food storage containers. Tupperware comes to mind as an example. Before anyone else recommends them, I do not like the Hefty Serve and Store plates. They often times take up far too much room and I would prefer something more permanent.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a lot of Rubbermaid mainly because they seal well and go on sale at Costco.
SirShazar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of Glad containers and a couple of Milan classic containers. I wouldn't recommend the Glad containers, and the Milan containers have a rather tricky lid.

Eventually, I plan on getting a set of square restaurant type containers like these:
http://www.galasource.com/products.cfm/Food-Containers.428

What's nice about them is that their shape allows for maximum usage of fridge space, while being relatively cheap and durable.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^I looked at those and it seems you hit the motherload for food storage containers. I had one concern. Everything has to be purchased by the case.
Auspicious

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Lock-n-Lock containers. QVC (<shudder>) seems to be the best source in the US. A little care will get you bunches of containers of various sizes with mostly interchangeable lids.
Billzum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking the lock-n-lock idea. Gonna keep looking but I think I may have found my answer =D
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lock & Lock containers are presently polypropylene with silicone seals. A polycarbonate "premium" container described on the company site is going to be produced soon.

Link for Lock & Lock containers:

company link http://www.locknlock.com.au/lock/

Amazon link http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=lock+n+lock+containers&tag=yahhyd-20&index=aps&hvadid=17804512011&ref=pd_sl_1q3r8xmebr_b
CookNewb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aack! Polycarbonate! I thought polycarbonate was on its way out because of the BPA leeching! Someone should tell them about Eastman Tritan!

http://www.eastman.com/Brands/Tritan/Introduction/Introduction.htm
Billzum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CookNewb wrote:
Aack! Polycarbonate! I thought polycarbonate was on its way out because of the BPA leeching! Someone should tell them about Eastman Tritan!

http://www.eastman.com/Brands/Tritan/Introduction/Introduction.htm

Ok... but does anyone make food storage containers out of it?
donnadm87

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have switched to glass mason jars, various sizes, for food storage. They fit nicely on the shelves, and you can easily see the contents.

We are eliminating plastic as a food storage solution.

We are looking for a good source for four litre glass jars, and need suggestions on possible sources in Ontario, Canada. Perhaps a source in the US will ship to Canada?
home chef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Milan CASSIC Reply with quote

COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHERE TO AQUIRE SOME MILAN BOWLS I CANT FIND ANY? tHANK yOU pATRICIA
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...milan bowls

the square plastic thingies?

google turned up a dozen sources - or are you looking for something else?
cbread

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirShazar wrote:
I have a bunch of Glad containers and a couple of Milan classic containers. I wouldn't recommend the Glad containers, and the Milan containers have a rather tricky lid.

Eventually, I plan on getting a set of square restaurant type containers like these:
http://www.galasource.com/products.cfm/Food-Containers.428

What's nice about them is that their shape allows for maximum usage of fridge space, while being relatively cheap and durable.

-------------------------------------------

the carlisle squares from your page are what I have:

www.galasource.com/carlisle--kitchen/food-storage-accessories/food-containers/ProdDesc-10740-08-49165.aspx

are really good. Lid is tight. Close packing. Rational lid sizing so you don't have ten to the nineth lids clogging up your kitchen.
TupperDawn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: food storage Reply with quote

I have been sold on tupperware so much that I am now a consultant.
I have tupperware dated back to early 70's that still looks better and works better than any rubbermaid and ziploc containers. Plus it has a lifetime warranty.. if by some miracle it cracks or breaks you can replace it free.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubbermaid storage containers are reasonably priced and high on quality. They keep my food fresh for days and are easy to clean. I purchased them online and have had no problems with them. The website where I got mine is listed below. You should have no problem with these handy reusable storage containers!

http://rubbermaidfoodstoragecontainer.com/rubbermaid-premier-food-storage.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum