Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the professional way of cutting sheep meat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anuj_entpren

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: What is the professional way of cutting sheep meat? Reply with quote

Hello,

I have newly joined this group. I have a meat shop where till now I was selling meat just by cutting using knives and cutting boards without thinking much on professional way of cutting. I want to know what is the professional way of cutting meat into small pieces in ready to be cooked form. Also if there are any automated or semi automated machines which I can use so that when I cut it in front of my customer it looks decent and more hygienic.

Looking for making my business better with your suggestions. Cool

Anuj
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Do what other butchers do Reply with quote

Well, all our local butchers have both food-grade band saws and slicers that they use to cut their meat into manageable chunks or slices before placing on a foam tray and wrapping in plastic wrap or wrapping in butcher paper. I watch them use these a lot since I tend to request special cuts fairly often.

I would suppose most restaurant supply stores would sell these.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking to find a simple way to cut meat into chunks for curries, you might want to enquire here:

http://aci-europe.net/uk/outillage.htm

Seems it wouldn't be too hard to manufacture your own, either.

Other than that, I think a band saw is the de facto standard after the intital butchering by knife has been done.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the professional way of cutting sheep meat? Reply with quote

Cutting meat professionally is a pretty generic term, no matter what beast you're dicing up or trimming. You need to find out who your audience is, who are you cutting for? Meat cut for Americans is completely different from cutting meat for someone who's from or family is from Greece, Pakistan, France and you get the idea. Once you know who you're cutting for, then either find books or an online source for the cuts they're looking for. Search for someone who can show you the way the people of Hungary cut up their sheeps, that would be the finest way. Apprentice. It's all different, it's never the same. Cater to your customer's need. Once you know what they want, it's all downhill from there.

xo, Biggles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum