Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

poptarts (a warm, toasty, buttery, pastry, on a snowy night)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eltonyo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: poptarts (a warm, toasty, buttery, pastry, on a snowy night) Reply with quote

pardon me whilst i dream a good thought.....

* tony drifts off to memories of past,..... as a nice warm and toasty kelloggs poptart with cinnamon and brown sugar gets flooded with savory butter.... somewhere in a remote mountain village... with the snow gently falling... near a warm burning fire stove... as the smell of hot iron and black coffee color the scene... next to an old knarly pine tree... alongside a frigid creek.*

sigh....* sniff sniff*.... now this is living, people!

poptarts have saved my life.... more than once.

any poptart memories out there? Wink

as forrest gump would say........ "that's all i'm gonna say 'bout that".
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eltonyo, you're in very good company. Here's a NEW pop tart memory. Alton Brown just did a show on pop tarts, aka, breakfast pastries or handpies. He showed how to home make them. You'll have to check out the food network for the details. I missed all but the last several minutes.
youngcook

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice eltonyo. Yep, GP.
linda99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing like a good...warm..toasty poptart on a cold morning. I enjoy the strawberry with frosting ones. I have a certain way of eating them too. I take the crust off and eat it last. Oh so good!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen this post. Here in the UK they've almost disappeared from stores, & quite right IMO.

They're sugar & carb laden trans fat rubbish, & the UK just doesn't want to know about them & their like. We at least are trying to do something about promoting healthy eating, especially for our children & their future health.

We see TV programmes about obesity in America & honestly we're horrified. We also have obesity, but the government is aware of the problem & is taking steps to educate & motivate people to embrace a healthier eating regime.
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Just seen this post. Here in the UK they've almost disappeared from stores, & quite right IMO.

They're sugar & carb laden trans fat rubbish, & the UK just doesn't want to know about them & their like. We at least are trying to do something about promoting healthy eating, especially for our children & their future health.

We see TV programmes about obesity in America & honestly we're horrified. We also have obesity, but the government is aware of the problem & is taking steps to educate & motivate people to embrace a healthier eating regime.

Ahem. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. For instance, I found this link on the BBC which states that the childhood obesity rate in the UK is about 10% for 6 year olds. Now on the other hand, this link lists the childhood obesity rate for US 6-11 year olds to be... 10%.

Obesity has long been recognized as a problem in the ENTIRE developed world. And the US government is just as aware of the problem as the UK government and is also working to promote healthier eating.

But let's compare snacks, shall we? How about comparing a pop tart to, oh, say a bag of Walker's crisps?

1 serving Strawberry frosted pop-tarts (from the Kellogg's web site)

5g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat. 0g trans fat.

1 serving Walker's ready salted crisps (from the Walker's web site)

8.3g fat, 0.7g saturated fat, no trans fat information listed

Neither one looks particularly healthy to me.

So until you eliminate Walker's crisps (oh, and how about Cadbury chocolates) from every Tesco, get off your high and mighty horse and don't give me any bull about pop-tarts. In the end, it's not governments that make decisions about how children eat -- it's parents.
Fearless Kitchen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Ban Pop-Tarts? Reply with quote

I don't think that the obesity problem is entirely the fault of the Pop-Tarts (or the Walkers', honestly). I think it has more to do with an aversion to outdoor, energetic play. Kids would rather play Nintendo than go outside and play Tag. If kids are running around and, well, being kids, a Pop-Tart here or there won't hurt them.

It's been a while since I've had them, but my favorite was always the S'Mores.
Kathleen H.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose this is a poptart related memory lol
I'm a big animation/cartoon enthusiast and I can remember being very excited to learn that the same cartoonist who did the 'Rejected' shorts compilation (you may know it as the 'My Spoon is too Big!' cartoon) that swept Youtube a few years ago does the poptart commercials now. His name is Don Hertzfeldt.
I remember learning that and immediately going out and buying poptarts just to have the box with his drawings on them - and, obviously, the epicness of the poptarts within. Teasing
It was a good day. I heart Don Hertzfeldt and poptarts lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum