Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

infusing hops into cocoa butter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: infusing hops into cocoa butter Reply with quote

Any ideas? I want to infuse hops into chocolate that I am making from bean. I thought I would try to get the hops into some cocoa butter and add that to my conch.
Any suggestions?
thanks
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macerate the hell out of the hops and don't heat the cocoa butter much beyond 150° F?

Sometimes when I make an infusion I'll put the contents in a coffee filter and staple it shut, then add to the dilutant.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>get the hops into some cocoa butter

some experimenting may be in order.

from chemistry, some compounds will dissolve in water, some in oil, some in both, some in neither. . . .

the question is: the desired flavor compounds in hops will dissolve into what?

hops being oft used in beer, there's some evidence that - if the beer hop flavor is the one you're after (an not something else in the hops) - it dissolves in aqueous solutions. could be problematic working the water into chocolate . . .

perhaps a alcohol solution? dissolve / carry the flavor compounds, dissolves in fat, (mostly) goes away when heated . . .

shouldn'y take a lot to heat/soak/(..?..) hops in clarified butter and see if the flavors extract.
pbone

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Charley! It's me, Mom! Glad you discovered this fab site! xoxo, ma
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum