Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooking Tests: Soft Boiled Eggs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: even easier Reply with quote

I put any size eggs in as small a pot possible to fit the number of eggs and cold water to just cover. I add about 1/2 tsp of salt and turn the fire on high. I set the timer for 10 minutes. If I happen to notice that the water has started boiling, I turn the fire down so the boiling is less energetic - less chance of cracking. The eggs are always peelable soft: solid or nearly solid white, semi-solid yolk.

Whether or not the membrane sticks has to do with freshness. The fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel cleanly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: forgot to mention Reply with quote

In "even easier", I forgot to mention that I cover the pot for all 10 minutes, and that I cool the eggs in ice water when the 10 minutes are up.
c0uchtime

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: soft-boiled egg cups Reply with quote

The reason why a soft-boiled would require peeling: Often people eat their eggs, British-style, from an egg cup. Proper etiquette suggests tapping the egg (to crack the shell) and peeling a hole large enough to eat the egg from, using a teaspoon. Finger use is allowed. I believe there actually is a device for slicing the top off, but they are even harder to find than an egg cup.
danicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: even easier Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I put any size eggs in as small a pot possible to fit the number of eggs and cold water to just cover. I add about 1/2 tsp of salt and turn the fire on high. I set the timer for 10 minutes. If I happen to notice that the water has started boiling, I turn the fire down so the boiling is less energetic - less chance of cracking. The eggs are always peelable soft: solid or nearly solid white, semi-solid yolk.

Whether or not the membrane sticks has to do with freshness. The fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel cleanly.

I am agreeing with this one. By using cold water you are enable to control the egg from breaking it. But I prefer hard boil than soft boiled.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: what about hard-boiled eggs that have been in the fridge? Reply with quote

Does anyone have difficulty peeling eggs after they've been in the fridge for a few days -- or tips for avoiding these problems? I never have trouble with the ice-water plunge technique when I peel right after cooking, but after a few days in the fridge, the eggs stick furiously to the shells, and the peeled egg looks pretty ratty.
Chickens Rule

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Quit guessing and use a sensor Reply with quote

As a city chicken owner, the reason for difficult peeling of an egg is due to the freshness of the eggs. Store eggs are usually at least a week old, and eggs are not easily peelable until they are a week and a half old, uncooked. Some people find that a vinegar dip will "age" the membrane and make peeling easier. With fresh eggs (less than a week), peeling is a tedious task.

As for cooking to a soft egg, try using an in pot egg timer. They are an acrylic resin "egg" that uses a color changing dye inside that is linked to temperature. You just place it in the pot with the eggs, and as temp inside the timer progresses inward you can simply see how far it's cooked.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone peeled a soft boiled egg and deep fried it for two minutes?
Rac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: PERFECT SOFT MEDIUM OR HARD BOILED EGGS EVERYTIME Reply with quote

If you ever tried to boil an egg soft, medium or hard you've probably slipped up more than once.

What started out as a nice fresh raw egg often ends up overcooked. Sometimes to the point that the yolk is grey and rubbery.

If that sounds familiar then the Egg-Perfect Egg Timer is for you.

The Egg-Perfect Egg Timer is small, made of plastic and egg-shaped. It tells you when your eggs are soft, medium or hard-boiled by precisely sensing heat instead of time and this distinguishes this gadget from other egg timers.

You place it at the bottom of the pot with your eggs and as the eggs cook the timer darkens towards the middle and when it reaches the right line for you, your eggs are done to perfection.

It's one of those ideas that are so simple you wonder why it took so long for someone to think it up.

Most people love boiled eggs but not when they're overcooked.

Soft-boiled eggs always go down well with the children because they love to have them with toast soldiers. Dipping them into the hole at the top of their eggs and smothering them in warm creamy egg yolk.

If you find getting your boiled eggs the way you want them hard for you then check out Egg-Perfect Egg Timer at www.eggsyourway.com They cost £4.97 each.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you insist on posting your spam every week you'll likely get your keyboard slapped.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
if you insist on posting your spam every week you'll likely get your keyboard slapped.

Since the advertisement seemed relevant and might actually help some people, I left the first one in... but I don't understand why they felt it necessary to post a second one.

Let's see if next week we get another one - if so, even that first one is going to be treated as spam.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: egg helpers Reply with quote

Now that we know how to get a well cooked egg like we like them. (when things work right) Now does anyone know how to get the perfectly done steak to go with them?
Maria

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Peeling soft boiled eggs Reply with quote

Any tips on how to peel soft-boiled eggs?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Peeling soft boiled eggs Reply with quote

Maria wrote:
Any tips on how to peel soft-boiled eggs?

uhmmm, very gently. a soft boiled egg is going to be gooey inside - we call them "gooey eggs"

depending on how 'soft' is soft, it could be quite a trick.

why do you want to peel a soft boiled egg? I'm serious - I'm a big soft boiled egg on toast fan, what other goodies can I fix with them?
Guest1234

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: LOLing Out Loud Reply with quote

9 minutes? I'm not sure if you are on Mt. Everest, or talking about emu eggs, or need a new battery for your timer, but you are off your rocker. Such a well documented and photographed post, but please readers, do not waste your eggs. If you are looking for a softboiled egg ignore this guy.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Why I would peel a soft boiled egg Reply with quote

The reason for peeling a soft boiled egg is because some recipes call for it. I have a recipe for a Spring Salad with 4 minute soft boiled eggs that has you peel the egg and put the whole egg on top of the salad and the cut it open so the yolk runs down through the salad. So, I need tips on how to peel the soft boiled egg.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: