Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laboratory Digital Display Refrigerators

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CookNewb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Laboratory Digital Display Refrigerators Reply with quote

I remember reading in a culinary article (from Wired.com maybe? Can;'t find it anymore) that high end restaurants use sometimes laboratory fridges that have digital displays so that you can control the temperature down to the degree. Usually they use them to store wines in.
Since there are many engineers here, does anyone have a suggestion as which is the biggest one I could possibly get if money were no object?
Thank you.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you go a-goggling for 'environmental chambers' you'll find desktops to walk-ins.

digital temp control/display is pretty common place for mid-hi end residential refrigerators - altho they may not have the temp range needed for wines.

don't be fooled by 'digital' - it's not all too tricky to set a thermostat - digital or analog.

the tricky bit is actually maintaining the set point temperature _everywhere_ within the box, and secondarily the 'dead band' of the thermostat - ie how far off the set point does it go before it 'signals' for heating or cooling - and how the temp varies in various spots while that is happening. getting an extremely accurate thermostat with a very narrow band is not difficult - designing the heat/chill system that can react properly is difficult.

the digital display is nice to dazzle the customers but I really seriously doubt any wine needs and accuracy of plus or minus half degree storage.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
if you go a-goggling for 'environmental chambers' you'll find desktops to walk-ins.

digital temp control/display is pretty common place for mid-hi end residential refrigerators - altho they may not have the temp range needed for wines.

don't be fooled by 'digital' - it's not all too tricky to set a thermostat - digital or analog.

the tricky bit is actually maintaining the set point temperature _everywhere_ within the box, and secondarily the 'dead band' of the thermostat - ie how far off the set point does it go before it 'signals' for heating or cooling - and how the temp varies in various spots while that is happening. getting an extremely accurate thermostat with a very narrow band is not difficult - designing the heat/chill system that can react properly is difficult.

the digital display is nice to dazzle the customers but I really seriously doubt any wine needs and accuracy of plus or minus half degree storage.

Thank you! This was the info I was looking for. Environmental chambers are definitely not priced to compete with refrigerators. lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum