Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Banana Nut Bread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nearlydawn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: To make your bread more moist Reply with quote

To make your bread more moist, and more flavorful... Do as I do, cook the bread until everything is ALMOST done (2-5- mins less than recommended). The bread will be done on the sides and the center, but the top of the center will still be slightly gooey. The bread will continue to cook when you take it out of the oven - just set it aside for 5 mins or so to finish cooking!

Using this method DOES cook all of the ingredients fully, but you will not dryout the outsides of the bread. I hate it when I get good bananna bread and the outside is all dry and tasteless.

Happy cooking!
cheer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: question Reply with quote

just curious,my mom used to make banana bread,very very good but she added sourcream to the mixture,i dont remember how much but is it healthier and does banana bread taste better without sourcream?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried your banana nut bread recipe and it was awsome! You are right, not to dry, not to moist. A glass of milk went great with it, but it wasn't required. Great site, keep up the good work.
aliallen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Banana Nut Bread - terrific! Reply with quote

I substituted pecans for walnuts. Also have used rum instead of vanilla when I ran out, and then used half vanilla and half rum. With or without the flour dusting, the bread has come out of the pans perfect after following your instructions. I will make this every week!
imacactus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Prepare Pan Bottom Only Reply with quote

The best trick I've ever learned for quick bread (those not requiring yeast) crusts is to prepare (that is, grease and flour) the bottom of the pan, plus maybe just 1/4 to 1/2 inch up the sides, only. This makes the bread easy to remove from the pan but does not overbake or dry the sides. Yum.
Kraup E. Poet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: An ode to Chu-ing Reply with quote

Never cooked much in the past.
Back then I never knew
That I'd be cooking all the time,
Once I learned to Chu.

Wink

Just finished a couple of perfect loaves of banana bread; probably the fifth recipe from this blog that I've successfully served up. Can't think of any better way to say it, "Cooking for Engineers rocks!"

Thanks Michael!
Rosaline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Topping Idea Reply with quote

Quote:
I didn't add walnuts at his request but was wondering if there is anything that can go on top, like a crumble mixture that would add a bit of zip to this loaf. Any ideas?

My kids hate nuts, so I put the following topping on banana bread.
This is great, straight out of Better Homes & Gardens:

In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup packed brown sugar and 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (Optional: Stir in 1/3 cup chopped walnuts.)
Sonali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This is the 2nd recipie I am trying from your site. (first one was orza risotto....very good).

I havent eaten banana bread in a long time so I have almost forgotten how the texture/taste is...I think mine came out yummy but a bit tough & not so sweet....did I bake too long (after 55min it was still gooey in the center so I baked for 10 ) ? or is it because I beat the eggs mixture for too long ? is banana bread supposed to be sweet like say a regular cake (without icing) ?

Thanks,
Sonali
Sonali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continued from above comment :

But it does look similar to the posted pic...well defined brown outside & not crumbly on the inside.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My banana bread is sweet, but not heavily sweetened (like most cakes). The texture of the bread should be a little chewy but not as dry as regular breads. I think it should also stick to your teeth just a little as you chew, but not too much - but that's how I like my banana bread...
Sonali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess mine turned out pretty ok then....not tough tough, as I said earlier but a little chewy tough. & lightly sweet. Yes it was not dry, definitely not like a regualr bread. But next time I will bake only for the given time (55min) & remove & it should carry-over-cook due to its own heat. Thanks for the recipie again !

-Sonali
aeasyfashezie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: it was off the heezie Reply with quote

my bread was off the chain fa real for real it was good as mug son u know Laughing Out Loud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: apple sauce substitution for butter Reply with quote

Substituting apple sauce for the butter works very well -- it adds moisture and sugar and is healthier. You can also reduce the amount of sugar.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: works well as muffins Reply with quote

I baked the bread in buttered muffin pans, filling 5/6 of the way up for 20 min. Worked very well. Increasing banana also helps keep it moist and flavorful. Brown sugar as a topping made for an excellent sweet crispy flavor.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: yum! Reply with quote

i love this recipe...it's so easy and fool-proof...i'm planning on trying some other recipes from this site soon...that was the best banana nut bread i've had
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: