Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is your favorite TEA variety?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: What is your favorite TEA variety? Reply with quote

From the "What's your favorite coffee" thread, a guest wrote in telling her favorite tea. I thought I would start a thread on that topic beginning with a quote of her post:

magenta wrote:
I like tea more then coffee. My fave is Earl Gray (natural). I also like tea with different herbs.

I saw that the guest, "Magenta" likes NATURAL Earl Gray Tea. Until the early or middle 1970's, Twinings Earl Gray Tea was what I would call "Natural" and I drank that a lot of it. After that time, they started adding Bergamot oil (a type of orange) to their Earl Gray Tea, and I haven't liked it since. I miss the old Natural Earl Gray.

So, for now, my favorite teas (hot or iced) are black teas, mostly Twinings Irish Breakfast, English Breakfast and Darjeeling. I like my hot teas with a tiny amount of cream and sugar. I take my iced teas "straight." When I was a teenager and wanted to be a little obnoxious, I would brew a pot of Lapsang Souchong. (If you've had that one, you know what I mean!)

Does anybody know which tea company makes Earl Gray tea that does NOT have Bergamot oil???
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Ummm.. doesn't the bergamot kinda make the tea Earl Grey? Reply with quote

I can't think that I've ever had Earl Grey (from any tea company) without Bergamot oil. According to Wikipedia, the addition of Bergamot to black tea is what defines Earl grey.

Are you sure the recipe didn't just have less of the oil of Bergamot? I've definitely seen variations in how much different vendors add.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ I'm positive (99.999%) that there wasn't any Bergamot in the old Earl Gray Twinings made in the early 1970's. I had a display in the pantry of about ten different tins of loose Twinings teas when I was in high school. Later, when I went to college, I saw the tin had changed and it then said "with Bergamot oil". When I saw that, I had to look up what a bergamot was when I got home. At first I thought it might have been just a reprinting of the label on the can, except the tea tasted completely different and I only had a couple of cups of that tea. I never finished the can and I had previously liked Earl Gray a lot.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>there wasn't any Bergamot in the old Earl Gray Twinings made in the early 1970's.

alot of people seem to think otherwise - as suggested earlier, seems bergamot oil is part of the definition per:

http://coffeetea.about.com/cs/typesoftea/a/earlgrey.htm
http://www.number10.gov.uk/output/Page154.asp
http://www.foodreference.com/html/fearlgreytea.html
http://www.globalgophers.com/UKfoodarticles/earl-grey.htm
http://www.geocities.com/lgol27/HistoryTea.htm
http://www.teainfusion.com/brands/history-of-twinings-tea.html
ERdept

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like white tea, and nam matoom. One's chinese and the latter is Thai. It has such a complex set of flavors. You toast the fruit, then boil and drink.
NeiNastran

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yerba Matte! If that counts.
ducttapesmarts

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm super fond of mint tea, left to brew forever either unsweetened or with a touch of honey. Either that or Basil, crushed up with some Meyer lemon in hot water. Not sure if either qualify as proper tea... Smile
Paul79UF

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm easy. I drink the regular Lipton tea that can be bought at Costco in huge boxes for cheap.

My better half has fancier tastes. She likes the Good Earth Green Tea with Lemongrass and Tazo White Tea.
absoluteherb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy the blue label TEA from africa especially served with honey its so natural and with a good flavor
Jaheab

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Oolong w/ lemon. No specific brand. The supermarket brand is what I usually buy (Meijer) but I think it stacks up pretty well. I buy their whole bean coffee as well.
curryman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darjeeling, Silver Needle( white tea ) and High Mountain Formosa( a Taiwanese oolong of which the leaves are harvested only after being attacked by a kind of green fly. )
Marco

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
^^^^ I'm positive (99.999%) that there wasn't any Bergamot in the old Earl Gray Twinings made in the early 1970's. I had a display in the pantry of about ten different tins of loose Twinings teas when I was in high school. Later, when I went to college, I saw the tin had changed and it then said "with Bergamot oil". When I saw that, I had to look up what a bergamot was when I got home. At first I thought it might have been just a reprinting of the label on the can, except the tea tasted completely different and I only had a couple of cups of that tea. I never finished the can and I had previously liked Earl Gray a lot.

I think the confusion is the fact that some Earl Grey Teas have lavender in them, like this Earl Grey Tea here. I believe that Twingings used to advertise the lavender part of their tea decades ago because they felt that Bergamot sounded too foreign for their customers.

Make no doubt about it, earl Grey has to have Bergamot included by definition. An Earl Grey without Bergamot would be like cooking a Coq Au Vin without red wine.
Gareth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very varied taste when it comes to Teas, and tend to drink whatevever I fancy from the cupboard at the time; Brooke Bond PG tips is almost a staple,,but my cupboard also contains the following; Asda roll back round Tea bags, Twinnings Chia Tea, Lidl Fairglobe fairtrade Tea, Red Bush Tea and many vararity of the berry and natural leaf Teas.
tpowell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big fan of early grey, especially the lavender variety.
stiffanbond

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fruity kind like cherry & cranberry, apple & pear, or citrus blend. I like green tea too, but I prefer it iced with 1 1/2 spoon, sugar and a squeeze of lemon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum