Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hashbrowns please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamaqtpoo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: hashbrowns please Reply with quote

Smile I am not really sure of what I am doing wrong, I am a good cook BUT...I cannot get hashbrowns right, any ideas??
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, absent any clue of how you're doing it and not happy with . . .

I parboil my potato chunks first. no quite to the fall of the fork stage.

that way I'm only pan frying for color & crisp - the innards are mostly cooked before I start the pan and I get finished innards in the process.

seasoning in the dry pan . . .
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried rinsing the grated potatoes and then squeezing out the excess water in a coarse muslin dish cloth? That does it for me: not gummy and they get nice and crispy.
twoblink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer is, there's too much water in the potato for you to make good hashbrowns.

Cheapsheet version:

1) Grate
2) Salt
3) Rinse and dry
4) mix and smash
5) Make sure you have enough oil

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Non-cheatsheet version:

So.. here's what you do..

1) Grate the potatoes. (You can peel them first or not, up to you) If you aren't using Russett, you should be.

2) pour a little salt on them, and mix it around. The salt will flavor the potatoes and also make them "sweat" out their water. This is very important. But don't over-salt, you'll find out the first time you cook how much is oversalting.. Let them stand for about 5 minutes. you'll see water coming out.

3a) Some will just squeeze the water out with their hands, or with a muslin cloth.

OR (What I do)

3b) I always rinse the potatoes under cold water first, then dry them on a paper towel. As this is a nerd forum, I get to explain why without people bitching at me. The reason I recommend rinsing is that there are excess potato starch on the outside of the potatoes, so when you try to cook them, they will brown on the outside before the insides have had a chance to cook. So when you rinse, the starch content on the outside is less than on the inside. So I personally think it critical to rinse the excess salt off, and the excess starch off... Then I dry it on a paper towel, doesn't have to be too dry, but not soaking wet.

4) Depends on "how together" you want your hashbrowns. If you need them to be totally tight and packed... then you have several choices, one of which is mixing a little corn starch water into it, and then smashing it into a ball before smashing it on your CAST IRON SKILLET. You are cooking with cast iron for this aren't you?? If not.. why bother? If you are ok with slightly loose, then just take some grated potatoes, squeeze it into a ball (tightly) and then smash it on your oiled pan.

5) What kind of lubricant are you using? I have switched to ghee (Clarified Butter) for almost everything now, the high flash point makes for easy cooking and super non-sticking, and very very good flavor! Make sure the heat is not too too high, or else you'll char them before they are done. If possible, try to flip them only ONCE. don't flip until they are brown on the underside.. or else they will fall apart.
jwhooper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved all of my hash browns problems by switching to Yukon Gold potatoes. I haven't used a Russet in years, for anything. I can grate a golden potato right into the hot oil and get good hash browns. They are far less starchy, more nutritious, thinner skinned, and better tasting in my opinion.

To each his own, but I like them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum