Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Basic Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceharbert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Vinaigrette - container Reply with quote

I have enjoyed all these comments! I am searching for the perfect salad cruet and have been very disappointed as to what's available! I am looking for something that seals so the dressing can be mixed and that has a little strainer so the herbs (and garlic) can stay in the dressing but not go into the salad when they are all wilted. Engineers- I challenge you to invent it! Thanks!
christenmu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: My version Reply with quote

I add a few green olives in the blender along with Balsamic vinegar, garlic, grey poupon mustard, honey, olive oil and salt. This makes a thicker dressing. Smile
tweemy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Different Version Reply with quote

I was raised on a vinaigrette very thick in mustard, and I love it. This is my basic vinaigrette.
Start with mustard, dissolve it with your choice of wine or basalmic vinegar until you've got a nice liquid paste, then add a blend of roughly 1/3 olive oil, 2/3 sunflower oil until it has the consistence you wish. Add any spice you want after that.
For a lighter version, you can replace half of the sunflower oil (1/3 of the oil mix) with warm water, it doesn't kill the taste but makes it fluffier.
Another variant of it if you don't like mustard is to replace it with some greek yogurt, but then it's got to be eaten right away. You also can't use basalmic vinegar with it.
Lintballoon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Oil/vinegar balance Reply with quote

I make vinegrette up in small batches and then doctor it as I go.
I smash garlic and add to oil, let it sit and also add other seasonings which are oil soluable, for example rosemary will impart it's flavor to oil better than to vinegar. Basil is best infused in the vinegar, or even sprinkled (dried) directly on the lettuce.
I only use balsamic in cases where I want that specific flavor. It does meld really well with blue cheese.
Usually I want a closer ratio between oil and acid. To prevent the acid from being overwhelming, I might cut the vinegar with white wine, or with smashed fruit, such as strawberries, or with straight juice (try mixing apple cider and balsamic) for a sweeter taste.
For a quick dressing on good fresh greens and veggies, at the table, all you need to really do is sprinkle olive oil (first) on the greens, toss, and then splash on some cheap white vineger, toss, then S&P for an on the spot dressing. Simple, cheap and nice.
And mustard really does magic to emulsify the oil and vinegar.
Joan Wade

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: garlic press Reply with quote

The fabulous cook/teacher/chef, Paula Wolfert, taught us years ago never to use a garlic press because it turns the garlic bitter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Garlic Reply with quote

I prefer to let the garlic sit in the vinegar for about 5 minutes before I add the oil. I find that it takes ameliorates the raw garlic harshness.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Mustard and Fish Sauce Reply with quote

I don't care for the taste of mustard in salad dressing, but it serves as an emulsifier, so I use a small amount of mustard powder. About 1/4 tsp in 2 Tsp of oil/vinegar will emulsify nicely, but I can't detect the taste.

I also use a dash of fish sauce for the saltiness. It is rich in free glutamates, which enhance the other flavors, and tastes a little like parmesan cheese in low concentrations.
jmcharry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re mustard fish sauce Reply with quote

That was my post, but I made an error. It should have been 1/8 tsp mustard powder. I use a 1/4 tsp measure , but only fill it 1/2 way.

By the way, mustard powder is dirt cheap at an Indian foods store, and excellent quality.

Golden Boy is probably the best fish sauce, but Squid brand is good also.
serrahgee@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: vinaigrette dressing Reply with quote

i blend onion,add gherkins and parsley together and mix with oil and vinegar.
dujon mustard emulsfies in well and gives a sweet and sour taste which when pour on a grean salad it's really tasty,
last but not least add some salt to neutralize the acidity,black pepper an d mixed herbs last,
i keep the dressing overnite to make sure all is well mixed and to enhance the taste for later use.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other secret to a great vinaigrette is to use hot water in place of some of the oil...generally about 1/3 of the required oil content. For example, if your recipe calls for 3 tbsp. of oil, use 2 and add one tbsp. of hot water.

This helps the emulsification process and brightens the flavors.
dhg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: sal Reply with quote

I like to mix only amount I plan to use for the planned salad. I start with a wood bowl and add all non oil stuff, then mix, then add oil and mix again, then add salad leaves and just turn and coat leaves. The idea is to add just enough to get a good coat and nothing more. Then add extras.
Jenny

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: yum Reply with quote

I also try to stick with only making the amount that I need. I can't stand when I have leftovers because I have to throw it away and it's such a waste! It stores pretty well in a canning jar though.
-Jenny
celestial seasoning

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: basic vinegarette dressing Reply with quote Delete this post

I use a little dijon mustard, fresh minced garlic, a splash of soy sauce for saltiness and balsamic vinegar and evoo. It is pretty yummy just the way it is!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: