Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Shrimp Scampi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On November 07, 2005 at 07:46 PM, Alredhead (guest) said...
We aren't in Italy are we? I like the recipe as it is. If you don't, or you would like to change something, why don't you do that when you are making the food for yourself?

Alredhead
http://alredhead.blogspot.com

Asshole, he said IMHO. And Americans are idiots what do you expect
Chemist/Engineer's Mom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Awesome Reply with quote

I am surprised and happy this thread is still going! My daughter is an awesome student of chemistry and engineering - and reading some of your posts reminds me of how she would comment! It's a great, simple recipe - and I'm passing on the website to her. She's at Kettering in Michigan. Thanks!
dickrebel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Anonymous above is right regarding shrimp, tails, anuses... Reply with quote

Just chiming in.

You either must remove the tail or cook with it on because the digestive track dives deep into the tail and comes out the underside. It's not really possible to remove the vein past the last segment due to this.

The shells *do* add flavor. Shrimp stock is made from shells, feet, and tails of shrimp.

If you don't like the tails, you should peel and devein, then cut just at or just into the last segment.

Regarding naming: Isn't Gambero/Gamgerelli the name for shrimp in itallian? Isn't butter "burro"? And limone for lemon. Wouldn't the name be some combination of those? I don't wanna call my mimi and ask as she's almost 90 and it takes 20 minutes to get a straight answer out of her.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Anonymous above is right regarding shrimp, tails, anuses Reply with quote

dickrebel wrote:
Regarding naming: Isn't Gambero/Gamgerelli the name for shrimp in itallian? Isn't butter "burro"? And limone for lemon. Wouldn't the name be some combination of those? I don't wanna call my mimi and ask as she's almost 90 and it takes 20 minutes to get a straight answer out of her.

But asking an Italian would be like asking a person from China what the proper name for chop suey is...
Sara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Shrimp Scampi Reply with quote

Hi, would like to make one comment. I have seen the Shrimp Scampi under a different name, that is: Scampi Maison it has the same ingredients plus vermouth or white wine and a little bit of brandy but with no linguini.
Chet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Cooked Shrimp Reply with quote

I would like to know if it is ok to use cooked shrimp instead of raw shrimp when making this dish? I am referring to buying shrimp in the store that is already cooked and frozen. I was thinking that it would save time and work in the cooking process and there would be less shrinkage.

But if cooked shrimp is used, how long would you cook it with the other ingredients to give it the proper flavor for Shrimp Scampi?

Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>proper flavor

ah, there's the rub.

fresh(*) shrimp do not take more than 4-6 minutes to cook thru. after that they start getting tough.

(*) fresh is a dicey term - most shrimp you see in the seafood case have been caught, cleaned and frozen. they are thawed at the store - often right in the seafood case. . . . unless the shrimp boats dock in your backyard, it is unusual to find 'truly fresh' shrimp in the market.

not exactly sure how valuable the "time savings" of used pre-cooked, frozen and thawed shrimp would be under these circumstances, but could you use "pre-cooked, frozen and thawed shrimp" - yes - be sure they are thoroughly thawed - just put them in the pan to get hot, they're already 'cooked'

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Guys, about the tails Reply with quote

Yes, the tails have lots of flavour in them. However, since most people prefer not to eat them (for whatever reason, many people don't believe the shell is an edible part of the shrimp), I remove the full shell and the tail, then use all of that material to make a quick shrimp stock, which I then use to season the dish I'm making.

This way, you get the full depth of flavour that the tails offer, and you also have a bit of stock left over for whatever purpose you fancy. I usually just pull out the shells, dilute the stock as needed, and use the same pot to cook rice in, which infuses it with a nice shrimp aroma.
hellop

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: shells on Reply with quote

In my experience, leaving the shells on when cooking shrimp leaves them much plumper, juicier, and more flavorful.
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Scampi Reply with quote

Not overcooking the prawns is what makes them plump and juicy. A short 2 - 3 minutes is all that is needed unless you like the rubbery texture of overcooked prawns.
In the end I always pour the pasta into the saucepan and mix on the stove top transferring from the saucepan to the plate. Better sauce coverage, the flavors meld better and the food stays warm longer.
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Scampi Reply with quote

...and for a nice twist use Orzo instead of Linguini. Oh man!
darci.1990

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so who cares what it is called or if his ratings on his site when up or down due to pointless and idiotic comments.. i didnt know how to cook shrimp and now i do. thats all that matters. so thank you michael for the good and helpful site. Smile

and who cares if it is called shrimp shrimp, shrimp scampi or just plain shrimp... we are in america and almost every restaurant you go to here will say shrimp scampi.. so therefore, michael, it was appropriate to name your recipe shrimp scampi, as that was what i (and probably dozens of other people) had searched to find a recipe.

thanks again!!!
darci

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: the word scampi means shrimp or prawns Reply with quote Delete this post

how come they use the term Shrimp Scampi? Its like saying shrimp shrimp ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: