Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

boiling pasta: splash of oil or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter grimes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: boiling pasta: splash of oil or not? Reply with quote

This is an argument my wife and I have monthly. To add a splash of oil to the boiling water before putting the pasta in, or not?

I think not:

1. the oil does not in fact coat the pasta, as the folklore suggests. The pasta slips right through the bubbles of oil, sinking below the surface of the water; this happens too fast for the oil to bind with the surface of the pasta.

2. countless times the pasta has started to cling together despite generous amounts of oil having been added to the boiling water before dunking the pasta.

Thoughts?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oiling the water for boiling pasta does not seem to achieve any purpose. Oil the pasta immediately after it has been removed from the boiling water.

I've read a whole bunch of other reasons for oiling the water (none of which are true) when authors or cooks agree that oiling doesn't help lubricate the pasta. These include "it lowers the boiling point of water", "it raises the boiling point of water", "it prevents boil over", "it provides flavor to the boiling liquid", etc. In the end, I think it comes down to tradition.

Water and ample amounts of salt are all you need.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

methinks it's as suggested, a 'traditions' thing - I've not been able to prevent (carelessly induced) clumping except by a couple of quick stirs in the first 4-7 minutes of pasta cooking.

there is also a theory that should you indeed succeed(!) in greasing up the individual strands, chunks, pieces, sheets, shapes [whatever] of pasta, a sauce won't 'stick' / 'cling' very readily to the pasta.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: boiling pasta: splash of oil or not? Reply with quote

peter grimes wrote:
This is an argument my wife and I have monthly. To add a splash of oil to the boiling water before putting the pasta in, or not?

I think not:

1. the oil does not in fact coat the pasta, as the folklore suggests. The pasta slips right through the bubbles of oil, sinking below the surface of the water; this happens too fast for the oil to bind with the surface of the pasta.

2. countless times the pasta has started to cling together despite generous amounts of oil having been added to the boiling water before dunking the pasta.

Thoughts?

Absolutely not. By pasta's very design (a starch), it holds sauces to it. Adding oil to the water will cause your sauce to slide right off, this is a bad thing. Add after, if that's what you're up to, not in the water.

Cheers!
Ravi Shanghavi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: to oil or not to oil Reply with quote

oh my.. I've been doing oil in pasta for years.. and I have seen on occasion clumping occur.. only the times when we've not added it. I'll give a go at no oil to see how I make out. Thanks for the input guys. - Ravi Shanghavi
Tuscan Chef

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: no we don't do that Reply with quote

here in tuscany with our cooking class we don't do it.
What I believe started this is that if you drain pasta and you don't have the sauce ready, to avoid clumping then add some il and stir.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum