Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Kellogg's Rice Krispies Treats
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psychmom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: half life of rct Reply with quote

What a great site. I still need to revisit the how long do they stay fresh as i have a bake sale 3 days from date of prep. Should I wrap each one individually or keep them all neatly cut near each other? So far I've learned about the 4 Tab. of butter and the keeping them in fridge or somewhere cool and using fresh ingredients. Any other tips. thanks.
rangermama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: rice crispie treats for construction Reply with quote

Lol... I am reading these posts trying to figure out how to make my rice crispie treats hard as a rock! We are stuffing the hold of our gingerbread pirate ship with rice crispy treats to help support the deck and masts... I want it to set up like a brick and last for a month or two. I've gathered that I should use stick butter and stale marshmallows, whereas I had originally intended marshmallow creme. I'll let you know how it goes. What a great website!!
BakedPuyo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: fruity treats Reply with quote

I tried the tradtional recipe using fruit-flavored marshmallows (which took quite a long time to find!), and it was quite a nice variation. I would like to make this and the Fruity Pebbles version (with regular marshmallows) simultaneously and compare the flavors. To my great disappointment, though, the marshmallow colors all blended together and the final product did not look any different than regular Rice Krispie Treats. (In my imagination, they were to be beautiful, multi-colored treats...) Huh?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Treats Reply with quote

I like to make the treat using golden grahams. Its wonderful, makes rice crispies look boring. Yummy!!
joan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you really help gave alot of ideas but im making a cake i wanted to uses the treats and put fondant over to make candy bars any ideas thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: with peanut butter and honey Reply with quote

The way I grew up with these was with peanut butter. I made some just today.

1 cup peanut butter (I use crunchy, but it's up to you)
1 cup sugar (white sugar is fine, brown sugar is fine)
1 cup honey

6 cups Rice Crispies

Combine the peanut butter, sugar, and honey. Cook just until the sugar has melted (you might see a couple of bubbles). Microwave or cooktop is fine. DON'T boil this mixture. If you do, the resulting treats will be rock hard.

Mix in the cereal, as quickly as you can. Spread in a 9 inch by 13 inch pan (I line with waxed paper and butter the waxed paper).

Optional: melt about 6 ounces of chocolate chips and spread on top.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Comments and Variation Sensitivity Reply with quote

Enjoyable site, especially all the comments. My son and I like the ingredient and process chart at the bottom. I recommend trying the toffee recipe (fun and enjoyable!).

I've been making crisped cereal treats for many years and some comments are:

-- Ratios of cereal, butter/oil/margarine, and marshmallows are not critical. You end up with a tasty, edible treat regardless. The result just varies the texture (gooey-ness, chewiness, crispness), a bit on the flavor (more or less marshmallow-ey) and minimally on enjoyment.
-- The marshmallow goo is a binder for whatever (you want to hold together. Experimenting is a fun parent/child activity. It exposes the kids to cooking as a fun experience and makes great teaching moments (energy, heat capacity, heat transfer rates, chemistry, humidity, phase changes, etc.)
-- Substituting stick margarine for butter gives a crunchier treat.
-- As with all candies, the temperature of the sugar mix significantly affects the final product. Heating the mixture longer (driving out more water) results in crisper (harder) treats. Not bringing it to a full melt gives a more gooey, chewey treat. My preference is to turn off the heat just as there are some marshmallows with a bare hint of being distinct objects. (I use small marshmallows.)
-- As noted in the toffee recipe comments, for any sugar mix, humidity is a factor. This recipe is much less sensitive than others. In more humid conditions, consider driving out a bit more moisture from your marshmallow mix before adding the cereal to counter the humidity effects. I usually don't worry about it since I'm not worried about texture and long term storage. I'm lucky if there are any treats remaining after a couple hours (I have teenage sons and their friends foraging in the kitchen...my wife calls them "the hordes" based on the similarity to hordes of locusts).
-- Smaller marshmallows work better for me since they don't take as long to heat through to the center. I tend to get crunchier treats when I use large marshmallows because the majority of the mix has been rising in temperature while I'm waiting for the centers of the large marshmallows to melt.
-- Always use a lower heat and be patient! It is very easy to burn the bottom while waiting for heat to transfer into the marshmallow centers. (The entrapped air acts as an insulator...think neoprene wet suits, Styrofoam coolers, double-pane windows, etc.)
-- Gas heat is definitely better (in my experience) for recipes that are sensitive to burning. Hot spots from electric coils are a pain to compensate for. I have not tried induction or the other methods of uniform heating, but expect them to be less prone to burned areas.
-- If you don't have gas, remove the pan from the heating element as soon as you turn off the heat. The stored energy in the element will continue the heating long after you think it should.
-- For easier clean up (I'm lazy), skip the pan for spreading the treat into. I put wax paper directly on the counter and dump the mix onto this. I pat with my bare hand. (Adding the cereal just as the marshmallows are barely melted gives me a mix that is not hot enough to be uncomfortable. Use caution and good judgment to develop your process.) Clean up involves nibbling stuck mixture from my hand, rinsing out the pot after soaking the it and the wooden spoon for 20 minutes in cold water (shorter for warm water) and stuffing the pot, spoon, and measuring utensils into the dishwasher.
-- Most any cereal will work as a filler. Crunchy cereals, harder treats, or if I eat a lot at once, seems to abrade the roof of my mouth.
-- Patting the treats to be about 25 mm (1 inch) thick is much easier for cutting and more comfortable eating (less prone to abrade against the roof of your mouth when biting a bit off).
-- Honey Nut Cheerios (tm) are my favorite substitute if I'm doing an alternate cereal.

---Matt
Debi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: I always thought... Reply with quote

I always thought that the variety with peanut butter and butterscotch chips was the original. Those are what I remember most from when I was a kid. I HAD the recipe from Kellogg's but lost it - the one with the peanut butter and butterscotch chips. Does anyone have it?

Also, I just discovered when buying the chips that they lost an ounce. They used to be 12 oz and now they are 11 oz. Will that be a problem?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make marshmallow beat vanilla essence, one egg white and 1/2 cup of castor sugar for 15 mins then put on top of saucepan of boiling water and keep on beating till goes marshmallowy Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good variation is to use "Fruity Pebbles", add a 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips and another 1/2 cup drizzled over the top after the tasty treats have cooled. I cut the New Year numbers into the dessert and served it for the new year.
Absolute hit!
Shannanigans

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: ????? Reply with quote

I have an event planning business with a friend of mine, we have a birthday party to plan for a two year old. This is way off from what we are used to planning for. I wanted to know if there is any way to make a train out of rice krispie treats and then cover with a marshmellow fondant? Is this something that might work? How do you even start???

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: spurtle Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of a spurtle to make these tasty treats? And where can I get one?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: substitution for marshmallows Reply with quote

I just made some treats with 1 cup white sugar, 1 cup corn syrup (no HFCS) and 1 cup peanut butter. Great stuff. It occurred to me that the only extra ingredient in marshmallows is the gelatine, which would be immaterial in a cooked syrup. The only reason for the gelatine would be to enable the syrup to be whipped to incorporate air.

Has anyone tried making treats with just white sugar, corn syrup, butter and vanilla? I could just bravely forge ahead and conduct this dangerous experiment on my own, but just wanted some input.

thanks all-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: rice krispy treats without marshmallows Reply with quote

I bravely decided to try this on my own. I combined 1 cup white sugar with 1 cup light corn syrup and heated it to 240 degrees F (soft ball stage) in the microwave. The mixture will bubble and boil. I then added 2 oz (1/4 cup) butter and 1 tablespoon of vanilla. Mixed together and poured over 8 cups crispy rice.

The taste and texture are a bit different. The syrup is a clear one and less viscous than the marshmallow mixture. The treats seem a bit sweeter than the regular recipe; I may add some salt in the next batch.

Works great if you have no marshmallows and don't want to leave the house.
Kieran Molkentin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Chocolate Crackles!!!! Reply with quote

Quote:
In Australia, we have Rice bubbles (kellogs), but out fav thing to make from them is Chocolate crackles! mmmm

I have to agree that Chocolate Crackles are THE BEST way to eat Rice Bubbles (rice crispies as you guys call them), and the second best way is Mars Bar Slice - hmm, might just have to go and buy some Mars Bars so I can make some. . . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: