Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Shepherd's Pie (Cottage Pie)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use a slice or two of bacon with this dish and cook the vegetables (usually just onion) in the grease. Then brown the meat and put the crumbled bacon in with it before putting the mashed potatoes on top. I'll also generally use a bit of spaghetti sauce (or even pizza sauce, it depends on what we have left over) in lieu of gravy, and whatever leftover vegetables we might have (e.g. green beans or corn).

Cooking the flour in oil ahead of time makes what's called a roux. It can take a while to brown and you need to keep a close eye on it, stirring it often, to make sure it doesn't burn.

I like the roast beef hash idea.

And yes, kids do love this dish.
AZPHAM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Shepherds' pie cook off Reply with quote

Thanks for the wonderful information. Our neighborhood is getting together on the 26th of September for an Iron Chef Shepherds' Pie cook off. There are going to be five or six different pie recipes. I will post the result after the contest.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: About the recipe Reply with quote

I see so many responses about what is shepardess' & what is cottage pie. The fact of the matter is...that this is a good recipe no matter how it's made, and whatever you put in, it will be a tasty treat for the entire family. Also, a side of "Garlic Bread always makes a fine, tasty companion to the meal. Enjoy everyone, and God Bless. Cool
sharoni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: PIE~! Reply with quote

When I am feeling adventurous I make Mexican cottage pie by just turning the mince into a sort of chili and putting some plain cornchips on top of the mash. I've also done a stroganoff cottage pie by making a normal stroganoff but instead of beef pieces or strips I use beef mince. You just have to be careful not to make the mince too watery.

The stroganoff cottage pie is probably the fave in my house.
respite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any way to make that recipe flow chart thing printable?

I love that format!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

respite wrote:
Any way to make that recipe flow chart thing printable?

I love that format!

There should be a Link at the top right of each recipe article that says "Recipe Card". click it and it should be a printable version of the recipe table.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Another version of Shepherds Pie Reply with quote

I brown 2 lbs ground beef, add onion and garlic to season it, drain off the excess grease. Add can of corn, peas, green beans and sliced carrots to the pot. Add 1/4 cup sugar and a few splashes of Worchestershire sauce. Layer that mixture into a glass baking dish. Prepared box mashed potatoe flakes, spoon that over the top of your mixture. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of potatoes. Cover with tin foil. Pop in oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
schwaigen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Shepherds Pie Recipe Reply with quote

Great photos for anyone who hasn't cooked Shepherds Pie before.
I am a british girl and also have a nice easy recipe for shepherds pie.

http://www.tasty-german-recipe.com/shepherds-pie-recipe.html

No photos I am afraid but it is tasty and foolproof.
British Gal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Cottage Pie vs Shepherds Pie Reply with quote

These Meat Pies started out as the poor man's food in the British country side where potato was also a common part of the hardworking man's diet. The ratio of the meat mixture to potato should be around 1:2. What most people don't know is a shepherd herds sheep. So it is more correct to say Shepherd's Pie if your meat base is mutton or lamb. Cottage Pie on the other hand is made from beef. With all else the same, these meat pies are very hearty and tasty.
British Gal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Cottage Pie vs Shepherds Pie Reply with quote

Here's an additional tidbit of information: Typically, the meat used in these pies were from leftover meat. Nowadays, it's easier to use ground meat instead. And even though these meat pies started out as the Poor Man's food, that is no longer the case.
Skitzoidlady

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Limiting the number of pans Reply with quote

I've done this recipe in a cast iron skillet, cooking the meat and veggies, then tossing the potato mix right on top, then into the oven. I hate messing up extra pans.
Dave Harvey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Cottage Pie Reply with quote

I Love anything with minced beef in it. I'm getting on in years and find that most of the mince recipes are very simple Smile .
As far as Cottage Pie goes I agree with a lot of what has been said but would just like to add that in mine I always add frozen peas, Oxo cubes and Worcestershire Sauce, but only add a few drops of the sauce because you also need half a teaspoon of Marmite.
I am using this filling today (without the mash topping) in shortcrust pastry to make the classic Mince & Onion Pie. Lovely!!!
sarahschmara

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Shepheard's pie! Reply with quote

I use a couple spoons of beefy bovril in my "gravy" and, instead of making a whole pan at once, I portion them out into 1/2 pint canning jars (after much success with chicken pot-pies adapted from http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/09/single-serving-pie-in-jar.html protip: don't line the jars with pastry or the filling to crust ratio will be off) so there's at least a dozen easy dinners waiting patiently for me in the freezer. Is it time consuming? Sure! but it beats anything you can buy in the store hands down.[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Yukon Gold Potatoes Reply with quote

Great variations! We have homegrown lamb and mutton that tastes fabulous in Shepherd's Pit. I especially like Yukon Gold potatoes on top. Will be putting corn and/or peas in the pie next time.
S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Family Variations Reply with quote

This recipe looks very legitimate to me, being British. I know there are various family additions and changes to the recipe. Personally, I have never heard of adding sweetcorn, and the prospect I find positively ghastly. In our family, adding a diced red pepper is the norm, and cheddar cheese is mixed into the mashed potatoes, as well as sprinkled on top. We also tend to run a fork across the top in a style similar to freshly ploughed fields. This also aids the crisping of the potatoes. And yes, the addition of Worcestershire Sauce and tomato paste/puree are a must. As to Marmite in the cottage pie, I am intrigued and will definitely try it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: