Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freezing scrambled eggs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Freezing scrambled eggs Reply with quote

I want to make a batch of "breakfast burritoes" I can freeze and subsequently pop in the microwave when I need a quick breakfast.

Wondered if anyone has tips for cooking the scrambled eggs to improve their re-heatability.

Just a guess, but I suspect I'll want them on the 'wet' side?
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Freezing scrambled eggs Reply with quote

Jim Cooley wrote:
I want to make a batch of "breakfast burritoes" I can freeze and subsequently pop in the microwave when I need a quick breakfast.

Wondered if anyone has tips for cooking the scrambled eggs to improve their re-heatability.

Just a guess, but I suspect I'll want them on the 'wet' side?

If you're making food to eat ahead of time, it's better to do that and just put them in the fridge to reheat later. This would be something that would be eaten within the next week or two. Or, you're making something to heat and eat 3 months from now. In either case, moisture/oxygen content is your worst enemy so cook them a little on the dry side. The problem is that when you freeze something, the moisture crystals form during freezing and break the cell walls. This makes your food suck.

If you have or have access to a "food-saver" machine that removes oxygen from your packaged food, this is a good thing. It will give you more time in the unfrozen and frozen state of things.

That being said, eat your food fresh and only cook a few days ahead of yourself. Just because you can freeze food doesn't mean you should.

xo, Biggles
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBiggles,

Thanks for your thorough, if not prejudicial, reply.

However, it doesn't answer my immediate question:

When cooking scrambled eggs for "breakfast burritoes" to be frozen and then later re-heated by microwave --

Does anyone have any tips? Should I cook them wet or dry?

And yes, DrBiggles, I have a FoodSaver and I'm NOT going to use it for mundane things like breakfast burritoes. StretchTite is the eighth wonder of the world as far as I'm concerned, and I'll leave it at that.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum