Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Features: What I Ate Search

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooking For Engineers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: New Features: What I Ate Search Reply with quote

For over a year now, I've been photographing every major meal (usually lunch and dinner) that I've eaten - both in restaurants and at home - and posted them on my personal blog, Orthogonal Thought. Recently, I decided it would be interesting if there was a way to pull up all the pictures of a particular type of food (let's say "pizza") and see all the pizza pictures. Also, the blog's search tool worked okay, but it would be really nice to search by a restaurant name and immediately see which dishes were ordered and be one click away from the original post (and review).

So, I present this new tool at http://www.cookingforengineers.com/what_i_ate to quickly search through pictures of What I Ate. Just type in the search term like "Driskill" or "San Tung" or "Steak" and select "Restaurant" or "Dish" and hit the Search button. If there are ten or fewer results, then the pictures will load automatically - otherwise, just click the "show images" to load the pictures.

Some of the dishes are marked with a recommendation level. The levels are: Avoid (seriously, you don't want to order this), Not Recommended, Recommended, Highly Recommended, and Amazing (this dish is good enough that I would recommend you come to this restaurant just to have it). Middling quality dishes won't be marked with any special statement - only the ones that stand out as needing a recommendation or a warning. I haven't had a chance to go back and score most of the dishes, but I'll try to do that over time.

Here are a few examples:
What I Ate - Dish: Baby Back Ribs
What I Ate - Restaurant: Coi
What I Ate - Crab Cake

Sue

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Delete this post

That is seriously neat. I looked at all your pizza pictures and Chinese food ones too. I guess you have to be an engineer to figure out how to do that.

http://foodnetworkmusings.blogspot.com/

PS Your "Confirmation code" thingie is A LOT more difficult that the normal word verification.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: