Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Browning Onions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Browning Onions Reply with quote

I made a batch of Chicken Vindaloo a couple nights ago which required browning 3 large onions to dark browness -- like for French Onion Soup, only darker.

I did it in a large saute pan with some oil, but it took forever and the line between dark brown and burnt is about 1 minute.

Anyone ever tried browning a large batch in the oven in a roasting pan, with minimal oil?

I'm thinking 300° -- or should I crank it up to 400° or so?

What's happening is that the sugars in the onions get carmelized, but not burnt. I want to reduce the amount of oil, too.

Thought I'd throw this out there for any suggestions you might have to offer.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......... it took forever
ah-yup. roger that; confirmed in spades.

....browning in the oven
nope. not tried that, but sounds like a reasonable thing.
I'd go with your 300'F guess - certainly not more than 350'

what happens is - from my observations... - onions have a fair amount of water. you heat, cook, boil, toil and trouble but then suddenly all the water is gone and they go from "translucent" to "burnt" in nearly a flash.

low and slow may be the ticket!
SirShazar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you constantly stir the onions in the oven, you're gonna have dry, burnt tips. What I suggest you try if you don't mind the extra pot and a lot of oil, is to first deep fry the onions for about a minute, and than saute them in the pan to caramelize.

It seemed to work pretty well for me when making home fries.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of deep-frying, but it's such a hassle and mess. You're right about the browned tips, though.

I think I'll combine both your suggestions and try a batch at 300, stirring every 15 minutes, for an hour...or more. At least with such a slow heat I won't have to watch it like a hawk.

Here's the recipe: http://www.recipe-ideas.co.uk/recipes-6/Chicken%20Vindaloo.htm. Came out great! (I skipped the potatoes, though)
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Browning Onions Reply with quote

Jim Cooley wrote:
I made a batch of Chicken Vindaloo a couple nights ago which required browning 3 large onions to dark browness -- like for French Onion Soup, only darker.

I did it in a large saute pan with some oil, but it took forever and the line between dark brown and burnt is about 1 minute.

Anyone ever tried browning a large batch in the oven in a roasting pan, with minimal oil?

I'm thinking 300° -- or should I crank it up to 400° or so?

What's happening is that the sugars in the onions get carmelized, but not burnt. I want to reduce the amount of oil, too.

Thought I'd throw this out there for any suggestions you might have to offer.

When browning large batches of anything, you must do it in smaller portions. Too much moisture is released and you end up boiling your food.

The only way I've been able to get around that, to some degree, is to use a large tin-lined copper fry pan. Man, what that does to mushrooms is outright amazing.

Biggles
IDontUse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the onions staying in the soup? or is it for flavor/color. A common method for some soups, such as Consomme, is an Oignon Brulee. You can simply put a half onion in a saute pan or grill on high heat with no oil until it gets a dark brown, somewhat black color on one side.
alexzeevy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree that you should keep the heat on the low side. My trick is to always use a non-stick pan and to add a little sugar right about half way through cooking. It works like a kickstart for the onions to caramelise. Strangely enough, it seems to me that caramelization takes longer when there's a lot of oil.

Cheers!
celdd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: browning onions Reply with quote

I recently discovered that the crock pot (slow cooker) does a good job.

For mine, the basic Rival standard size pot, I just peel and slice 6 onions and put in the pot with a little salt. Let cook on low overnight. No water or oil needed.

In the morning you have carmelized onions to use for whatever you like.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: browning onions Reply with quote

celdd wrote:
I recently discovered that the crock pot (slow cooker) does a good job.

For mine, the basic Rival standard size pot, I just peel and slice 6 onions and put in the pot with a little salt. Let cook on low overnight. No water or oil needed.

In the morning you have carmelized onions to use for whatever you like.

Brilliant! (now if I only had a crock pot...)
celdd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Browning onions Reply with quote

The crockpot I have is the very cheapest one, like this: http://www.amazon.com/Crock-2dPot-Slow-Cooker-Black-qt-2e-29/dp/B0012US88I/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1268604758&sr=8-23

I got it for $20 a year or two ago at Target or Big Lots or something.

By the way, the cut up onions pretty much fill the crockpot up to the top. When cooked, they reduce to fill a one-quart Ball jar.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I just tried that recipe again, but used a pressure cooker to pre-cook the onions.

First time was a bust: I let them cook for 3-4 minutes.

2nd time was perfect: bring to full pressure (over, not IN) an inch of water, take off heat and cool rapidly.

Then brown them. Goes very quickly, and YES, less oil is better. You still have to stand and stir them for a few minutes, but it takes far less time than doing it the old-fashioned way.

Watch the heat! Don't want it too hot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum