Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Roasted Asparagus Spears
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finely sliced garlic (use a hand-held garlic slicer for very fine slices) tossed in with and roasted with the aspargus is wonderful. The garlic browns and is slightly crunchy which adds to the flavor.
Wei Tseng

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My housemate Paula and I (Wei) enjoy a leisurely blanching of our asparagus in Kingston's finest H2O. The toxic waste upstream from Toronto gives it a certain je ne sais quoi. The phospherous dichlorofluoride gives it that distinct Ontarian flavour.
With a spread of butter and a dash of NaCl, it is a creamy heaven.

Wei & Paula
Dr ObviousSo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of rolling food around in the oil with your hands, and getting them messy, I keep my oils in spray bottles.

I've got corn, olive and cheep vegie oil ready to go depending on what I'm making. Not only does it keep me clean in cases like this, I've completely done away with that horid lipid known only as "pam".
qIuQuN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this website!

Anyway, I will normally, roll the asparagus with bacon and roast it. hehe! yummy!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Men: This kind of recipe would really impress a woman. Its just so subtly sexy. I suggest either a few sliced almonds on top OR crumbled boiled egg yolk (not both) - both are traditional and very elegant. Serve it to me and I'll make out with you!
anjali

I sometimes toss a little sesame seed on the top. I am definately going to try the onion/garlic additions.

I have aquick trick using the Ziplock. I just toss in how much asparagus I want to cook in a ziplock bag add some salt, pepper and a pat of butter. Just seal the bag almost shut and toss it in the microwave for 3 min. or so. The asparagus is done crisp tender and ther is no mess to clean up, just toss the bag.
eiresicilia

I agree a very sexy dish to prepare....a light sprinkle of seasoned breadcrumbs then freshly grated cheese, is wonderful!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a little carmelization on my asparagus so I roast at 450 degrees instead of the recommended 350. They're also great grilled providing you keep them aligned perpendicular to the grates. Smile
David

I just tried roasting asparagus with a little soy sauce, sesame oil, and sesame seeds. Excellent!

Tip for grilling -- make "rafts" (think what you would do if stranded on a desert island) out of the asparagus by putting toothpicks through a couple. Two toothpicks for each raft will keep all the spears stable. A raft won't fall through the grill, and you can turn a whole bunch in one fell swoop!
Bryan

I grill the asparagus with the Reynolds Wrap non-stick grilling sheets. It saves me the trouble of making sure that the asparagus does not slip through. At the same time I add red bell pepper slices and onion slices.

I've found the results from grilling to be much better than from oven-roasting. Well, except for the time that I got caught up in that basketball game.

in mexico we grill beside asparagus some yellow, red, green and orange pimientos (the ones that aren't spicy but sweet) to add some color. olive oil salt and pepper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made this one tonite, together with the apples, and it was wonderful. Had some polenta and fennel with it, and a nice salad. Many thanks!

I make mine the same way, but always use kosher salt and drizzle a little lime juice.
Brenda

Washington State is known for its asparagus and we have been experimenting. We use the plastic bag method with koshher salt and roast 4" stalks for 16 min. and 1/2" stalks for 20 min. This is about when the color turns
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: