Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Chocolate Truffles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: oil layer Reply with quote

I also got a miniscule layer of oil after i transfered it to a small bowl for cooling. I used, 4 - 4oz ghiradelli 60% caocao baking bars and 1 cup of lucerne's heavy whipping cream. ATM, it's cooling and has hardened quite a bit. For that thin oil layer, i just skimmed it off and am left with perfect ganache.
Mina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: truffle trouble?! Reply with quote

im making truffles for my birthday but my problem is i can't seem to find heavy cream here in nz, or at least where we are. can i substitute fresh cream to heavy cream? thanks! great site by the way! Smile
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: truffle trouble?! Reply with quote

Mina wrote:
im making truffles for my birthday but my problem is i can't seem to find heavy cream here in nz, or at least where we are. can i substitute fresh cream to heavy cream? thanks! great site by the way! Smile

If double cream is available try that. You're looking for something with high milk fat concentration. It is possible to whip regular cream, but it takes a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: whipped cream. Reply with quote

i just made these and i wasn't sure if their would be a difference because it turned out fine so far, i used redi whip but i was messing around with the bottle before i used it and all the air went out and it came out straight liquid which was fine.
but would redi whip work?
just checking because their in the fridge now.
and i have other things to use a different reicpie.
because just eating the ganache would be fine with me Big smile.
aanchal.sodhani@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any idea where to get selbourne chocolate in delhi - preferably south delhi?

please tell aanchal.sodhani@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'VE BEEN MAKING ALL KINDS OF TRUFFLES, PROFESSIONALLY, FOR OVER 20 YEARS. I'VE ALWAYS ROUGHLY CUT THE CHOCOLATE INTO 1/2" PIECES AND PUT IT IN A FOOD PROCESSOR, PULSING GENTLY, SO AS NOT TO OVERHEAT THE CHOCOLATE, REDUCING IT TO A COARSE "GROUND NUT-LIKE" TEXTURE. TAKE YOUR TIME SO THE CHOCOLATE DOESN'T START TO MELT. I'VE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE CHOCOLATE NOT COMPLETELY MELTING WHEN I POUR THE CREAM OVER IT. I ALSO RECOMMEND ADDING 1 TBS OF UNSALTED BUTTER TO EACH POUND OF CHOCOLATE. I ADD TWO MORE OUNCES OF CHOCOLATE TO EACH POUND THE RECIPE CALLS FOR. THIS RESULTS IN A SMOOTH, FIRM GANACHE, MAKING IT EASIER TO SCOOP AND SHAPE. WHEN YOU'RE READY TO COAT YOUR TRUFFLES, STICK A TOOTHPICK (NOT ROUND, BUT FLAT OR FOUR-SIDED) 3/4 OF THE WAY INTO EACH TRUFFLE CENTER. DIP IN MELTED COUVERATURE AND LIFT A BIT ABOVE THE MELTED CHOCOLATE AND SPIN THE TOOTHPICK BETWEEN YOUR FINGERS UNTIL THE EXCESS CHOCOLATE HAS BEEN REMOVED. USE A TALL ENOUGH CONTAINER TO HANDLE THE SPUN-OFF CHOCOLATE---2"-3" INCHES OF SPACE ABOVE THE CHOCOLATE IS USUALLY SUFFICIENT. MAKE SURE YOU DRIZZLE A DECOR CHOC OVER THE TINY HOLE LEFT BY THE TOOTHPICK. THIS IS A VERY FAST AND EASY METHOD.
smellyummy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Thinkened Cream Vs UHT Whipping Cream Reply with quote

i tried this delicious recipe this afternoon and it was easy to follow. However, as i can't get Heavy Cream in the place i stay, it was replaced with Bulla Thickened Cream. Can anyone advise me if Thinkened Cream or UHT Whipping Cream is best for truffles? Thanks
sad face

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: my truffles didn't work Reply with quote

I had used a different recipe. I had used 8 ounces of semi sweet chocolate, 3/4 cup of whipping cream, 2 tables spoons of butter and 2 table spoons of kalhua. It had been in my freezer for over a day and a half and it is still not firming. I tried to roll one in coacoa and it just flattened. should I add something different or just give more time!?
tenorposaune

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Viennese truffles (whipped ganache) Reply with quote

I made these truffles last December to great acclaim, and everyone requested that I do them again. I did, only for one of my flavors this year, I tried the whipped ganache method described by PastryChefAL. I highly recommend this technique. The ganache is easier to work with, goes further, and provides a pleasant textural contrast to the hard tempered coating. Note: make sure your ganache is cold enough when you put it in your mixer; if it's liquid at all, the structure will not be strong enough to hold the air you're trying to whip into it.
adria_hambrick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: chocolate truffles Reply with quote

I made these yesterday for Christmas and they're awesome. I used semi-sweet chocolate baking bars. I put about 2 tbsp of orange juice in once I melted the chocolate and got it stirred up good. I saw another post about not being able to cover the balls in cocoa and then dip them in chocolate but I did that and they turned out great. I've tried 3 different truffle recipes before this in the past week and these were the only ones I've had turn out right. None of the other recipes with butter turned out right. I'm having a hard time not eating them since they are wonderful.
Maiz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Tea truffles Reply with quote

These truffles are excellent! I made some with Earl Grey tea, which were amazing. I put a scoop of tea in the cream as it was heating and then poured it through a strainer into the chocolate. If you like the Earl Grey flavor, I highly recommend this. It is a delicious and unusual pairing with dark chocolate, and a nice alternative to the liqueurs.

I love Cooking for Engineers. I wanted to know more about tempered chocolate (not just the how-to, I wanted to know what was really happening to the chocolate), and I knew just where to look! Thanks for the great site.
sabrina

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to ask if whipping cream is used to substitute the heavy cream you are using would the amt used be the same?
& I saw the previous comment you said using regular whipping cream will do too but takes a longer time, what do you mean by a longer time?
Thank you(:
thebakingbuddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: truffels wont harden Reply with quote

I have tried this a few times. I used 1 cup of whipping cream and one pound of merkens semi sweet chocolate. However the mix never seems to harden. Even in the fridge for a while it seems to remain like thick frosting. I put some in the freezer to see what happens and will wait to see if that helps. Any ideas?
heg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i made these using milk chocolate and just used less cream, then topped with ground almonds, cocoa powder, icing sugar and crunchy nut cornflakes! great recipe Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: oil separation Reply with quote

For people with the oil separation problem (including myself) perhaps it is that we heated the cream too much and thus heated the chocolate too much causing this annoying reaction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: