Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maltodextrin Blues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nasuent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: maltodextrin headache Reply with quote

I don't know the medical implications of how maltodextrin causes headaches, but I know with 100% certainty that I get massive headaches whenever I consume products with it. It may be it's connection to MSG, as I also get headaches from MSG. I drank a Kemper's Rootbeer, not knowing that it contained maltodextrin and I instantly got a headache that lasted all day. These companies should consider that there are millions of people that are adversly affected by maltodextrin.
mtkoren

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Yeah Thor I understand the MSG issue - I'm radically severe Reply with quote

Thor

Read your post about your wife and saw the various responses.

Back in 1968, before anyone knew about MSG and while I was feeding it to my mother and adding it to foods because the taste seemed more alive, my folks and I went out to a Chinese restaurant in Brooklyn NY and I noticed people there were tired (heads on tables etc). While I was finishing the 1st course soup, suddenly and violently I felt as if my head was simultaneously in a vice, my eyes popping out, my ear drums imploding, and I was taking off in a rocket. In moments I lunged out of my seat and was on the ground. Little did I know, while this was happening, my sister and my mother were going through some form of reaction like mine.

A year later, "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" with publication in "Science" of a study done at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in which baby Rhesus monkeys were fed exactly 4 times the amount in ONE jar of Gerber baby food and a "nucleus" in the hypothalamus of the brain (the brain stem) had the entire region controlling appetite completely destroyed by the MSG. Published! And the food industry went into a panic, withdrawing baby food and so on that contained MSG.

I know immediately when I have the stuff. I am the liability that you take with you when I am the guest at the Asian restaurant and I NEVER have the soup. Yeah - when they say "we don't use it", they are not usually telling you they are using spices that may have it blended in. They just don't use it by itself.

It is easy to tell you've had some - just notice if the flavor is more "alive" than logic says and, more importantly, notice if the flavor LINGERS for more than a few seconds or minute. Flavors don't on their own. But somehow the MSG stimulates our taste buds to keep the flavor going. Even enhancing it.

Before I had that reaction, I always noticed that when I went to Chinese restaurants I felt sweaty. I also notice that people why "say" they don't react, have also noticed that they sometimes think that they feel hotter in Chinese restaurants and have noticed the sweat, thinking they were just warmer places! hehehe Yeah - in a perverse way!

I spent an entire year after the experience having daily repeat episodes - like hallucinogenic flash backs. I would do anything to find a way to tire myself out enough to somehow pass through the drifting place without noticing it, because drifting triggered the response.

FUnny thing is that was just a precursor. Many years later starting in the mid-to-late 90's, I started picking up other allergies - gluten and dairy. Gluten makes my head ring, get foggy, and make my body feel rusty. Dairy causes my muscles, joints, tendons to get painful.

Good news!? I eat incredibly healthy! Deal with some issues. But have slowly moved, through awareness, into an organic diet with high Omega 3's, no gluten, home-made bread from rice and millet flours (yummy!), a fannow of Elana's Pantry - you have to go there on line! - and love Coconut Milk ice creams, yogurts, beverage (thank you Turtle Creek and Coconut Bliss! and Whole Foods!) and so my life is far from the norm ("I can't take you anywhere"). Thai restaurants are often very safe - but you need to check first.

I check all ingredient listings! Know all the MSG pseudonyms! The list goes on. I sometimes wonder if I am nuts! That I'm creating this and could uncreate it. But haven't yet figured out how to uncreate this cause the penalty always seems too great.

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Maltodextrin Reaction Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I normally don't post on blogs but when I found the original post about someone experiencing a reaction to Maltodextrin, I felt compelled to add my two cents.
For many years I suffered from daily attacks of nausea and panic attacks. I was brought to many doctors and after extensive testing, I was diagnosed with IBS. As far as I'm concerned, IBS is a general diagnosis that is given to patients who have a problem but the doctors don't know what it is. Thank goodness it is not life threatening, but it is not very pleasant to say the least. To make a long story short, one day in January, about a year and a half ago, I came down with a nasty cold. My husband brought me a large container of chicken soup from Whole Foods. I downed the whole thing that night. Within moments I felt like I had come down with a horrible stomach flu with an added symptom of an anxiety attack that wouldn't go away. I was in such a bad state, that my husband drove me quite a distance so that my parents could watch over me while he went to work. It wasn't until the next day that I started coming back to normalcy. I was beyond curious as to what it was that gave me some a reaction. So, I went to Whole Foods and looked at the ingredients of the chicken soup I had eaten and found Maltodextrin listed. It was the only artificial ingredient so I concluded that it was the culprit. From them on, I read every nutrition label and eliminated anything that had maltodextrin. I am happy and relieved to say that my nausea and anxiety attacks have gone away. I don't know why I have this reaction. Yes, it is a pain to always do research before going out to a restaurant. But, I am eating much healthier and cooking more which probably saves money Smile Good luck to all of you who have the same issue to either maltodextrin or anything else.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Maltodextrin Reaction Reply with quote

I too am sensitive to Maltodextrin. With age, I've had increased allergies & sensitivities to food. I began having a severe GI reaction- severe flatulence and diarrhea, uncontrollable, including lack of bowel control & leaking. My Pharmacist stated, "Are you sure? They're adding maltodextrin to everything, and he is correct." I don't know about the flavor enhancer thing nor low fat because they've added it to all the multivitamins. I have the same problem from Malitol and Sucralose (Splenda).

I had a brief casual chat with a woman at our local Cooperative Extension who stated she has the same issue. I've read and she verified that Maltodextrin is causing a reaction in people with Spastic Colon/Irritable Bowel/IBS. I had been diagnosed with this when in my teens but dietary changes and lifestyle changes resolved it.

All literature states Maltodextrin is safe and non-reactive for human consumption. There is a smattering of people around the internet looking for answers and reporting the same issue. Organic and natural food generally do not contain Maltodextrin. Eating out is difficult and I am horribly worried about institutional food- being hospitalized, a nursing home when I'm older, jail, God forbid. Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: ...another voice singing maltodextrin blues - cont. Reply with quote

Sorry I hit a wrong key and I may have posted an incomplete message.

Over the years I have had to do major sleuthing to discover food ingredients that make me react as if I had just consumed milk protein, to which I am allergic. My BAD list now includes anything with an lact- both milk (lactose) and non-milk substances (such as sodium steroyl lactylate, a very common dough conditioner). Also on the list are aspartame as well as bananas and annato. The most recent addition to my list is maltodextrin. By far, it is the worst of the offending additives for me and it is the most difficult to avoid in daily life.

I have no idea what might be similar about these various substances that could cause such common reaction. Anyone have any insights? Thanks.
cookaholic55

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: sick Reply with quote

Iwas very interested in reading the posts about MSG's and maltodextrins.
I have a niece who has been diagnosed with cyclic vomiting syndrome-vomiting and stomach pain. The doctors can not help her. I feel that her body is allergic to something she is eating. Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject?
jessica

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: maltodextrin blues Reply with quote

I wonder if your wife has the same allergies that I have.

I have an allergy to wheat only when eaten in combination with salicilyates.
I am also allergic to soy.

Maltodextrin can be made out of wheat.
MSG is made out of soy.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: sick Reply with quote

cookaholic55 wrote:
Iwas very interested in reading the posts about MSG's and maltodextrins.
I have a niece who has been diagnosed with cyclic vomiting syndrome-vomiting and stomach pain. The doctors can not help her. I feel that her body is allergic to something she is eating. Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

I would have her tested for delayed food sensitivities -- and just plain allergies. Maybe you've done that already...

As for maltodextrin -- since it's most often made from corn (and sometimes potatoes) the reaction people are having could be due to the molds that are so common with corn and potatoes.

And Splenda? That should be outlawed, yet it's even in BABY food. It's made from sugar...and CHLORINE.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: sick Reply with quote

[quote="Guest"]
cookaholic55 wrote:
. . . .And Splenda? That should be outlawed, yet it's even in BABY food. It's made from sugar...and CHLORINE.

So is table salt!

Artificial sweeteners will do less damage to your body than sugar.

As with most things, some degree of moderation is the key.
sickofit

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: msg and maltodextrin Reply with quote

Last night I fixed a great meal for my husband and I which included fish and veggies. I almost always use fresh veggies but for some reason I used a bag of frozen that already had some "pepper seasoning". Immediately after finishing the meal I knew I was in trouble. It felt like my food had morphed into an alien! I was sick from 7 pm til 3:30 am. At one point I realized there must have been some msg because my reaction was so violent. I had my husband get me two benadryl as I was laying on the bathroom floor with hives. It gave me relief within about 10 min. but I still had to "get rid of the alien". This morning I looked at the bag and it said Maltodextrin and other spices. I hate when I feel this way because I'm worthless all night and then wiped out all the next day. Thanks for the info on maltodextrin--I'm sure fresh and natural is the only way to go to avoid this, but it sure is difficult when I entertain or go out with friends.
Jen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Maltodextrin discussion Reply with quote

Maltodextrin kills my digestive system - plain & simple. I thought I had a disease - diarhea, cramping for over 2 months. After tests & doctor visits couldn't diagnose my problem, I started looking around the house. I finally discovered that a nutrional supplement I was using had recently changed it's ingredients (keep checking those labels!). The new formula's second ingredient was maltodextrin. After 1 week w/out it, I was cured.

I've since learned that maltodextrin is a main ingredient in many diet products. Well I guess if everything you eat leaves your body in a matter of minutes, that would help you lose weight! It's frustrating to see so many food products labeled "low fat", only to have the fat replaced with bad ingredients, like synthetically manufactured ingredients like maltodextrin (yes, it does have a natural beginning, but that's where the "natural" part ends). Lowfat cream cheese, cookies, peanut butter - all contain maltodextrine. It's cheap - so the food companies push it as healthy!

Please do the world a favor & eat real food! Good fats are just that - good for you! Good carbs are good carbs. The chemical companies have done a great job of brain-washing us into thinking their products are healthy. Don't buy it. Eat well & exercise - that's all you need to remember.
Desi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Maltodextrin Reply with quote

Two years ago I quickly developed an allergy to corn, possibly to wheat, and maybe to dairy. I get huge hives all over my body immediately after I eat anything that has corn in it, but corn on the cob is OK (so I have wondered off and on if it's something in processed corn products that I'm actually allergic to). I can eat some breads, but not others. Bread often has corn products in it. Dairy seems to be OK most of the time, since I have it every day, but I've also been wondering about it.

My reactions started with daily swollen and uncomfortable lips, then my throat began closing up when I had brazil nuts. I avoided the nuts, but the hives came next. Every single night I had giant hives, and swollen itchy feet. It took some time to figure out it was corn and that I was reacting to a drink I was having every night with high fructose corn syrup in it.

For the past couple of years I have been avoiding corn and mostly avoiding wheat, but all of a sudden I've been getting hives and swollen lips and feet regularly again. I have had a few processed foods lately, and one that I very obviously reacted to was a grocery-store rotisserie chicken. I ate it over a few days and noticed I reacted to the spices on the skin but not the chicken itself. It turns out those spices included MALTODEXTRIN -- the third to last ingredient. Because it seemed the only questionable ingredient, I looked it up and found all of your posts. Wow! You may have helped me finally, and once and for all, find the culprit. Thank you so much!

I will now avoid all corn products, maltodextrin, MSG, and "natural flavors."

One last thing: I have rheumatoid arthritis, and if you look at the foods most commonly associated with being the cause or a contributing factor of the disease -- corn is number one.
B1vantage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Maltodextrin Reply with quote

I generally eat well; a while back I bought some apple juice at walmart. I had a glass of this juice yesterday afternoon. A couple hours later I was so tired I had to lay down. I figure I fell asleep about 6pm I just woke up I slept 16 hours. Since it was the only unusual thing I had ingested I looked at the ingredients for the apple juice. It had to be some kind reaction to maltodextrin. I usually read labels in this case it said not from concentrate apple juice on the front, so I assumed it was just apple juice.
Guest SW

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Maltodextrin Intolerance Reply with quote

I'm not sure of the problem but the propogandizing regarding MALTODEXTRIN INTOLERANCE runs deep.

I do have other food intolerances but am not corn. I began having extreme GI reactions to maltodextrin - not as severe as others who react immediately but several hours following ingestion of small amounts. My symptoms include extreme flatulence, diarrhea and rectal irritation resulting in a very bloody, excoriated rectal area. This is following ingestion of a small amount on one occasion only. Regular consumption causes the same flatulence with severe diarrhea and frequent oozing of stool. Exercise makes matters worse. During the onset of symptoms and recognition of the problem I ran a half marathon. I did not stop to use the bathroom as soon as I should have. When I did stop and had massive diarrhea, the entire perineal area was bloody and raw, abraded and mixed with sweat, blood, and stool. I walked awhile and did finally finish the race. I was in excruciating pain and unable to bathe for several days. My doctor had no idea what to do. I bathed with Avino, kept the area clean and used some hydrocort as directed but that didn't help much.Sorry for the graphic details. I felt they should be stated.

There appear to be desperate attempts to whitewash the symptoms some people are having with maltodextrin intolerance. As a Pharmacist told me - "They are adding it to everything." Indeed they are. Purchasing food is very difficult and frustrating. Doctors refuse to believe what they are told.

Maltodextrin is sucralose and SPLENDA brand is sucralose is maltodextrin. Organic and health foods often are free of maltodextrin, but labels must be read to be certain. Maltodextrin is found in a majority of vitamins today, meats, just about anything processed. I don't understand why.

I plan to start a Facebook group called Maltodextrin Intolerance, if anyone is interested in joining. I am curious how many of us there are. The problem needs to be recognized and accepted, not whitewashed to protect the food industry. I myself am afraid. I do not feel that an institution could handle the diet I need (also dairy allergy/lactose intolerant and yeast bread intolerance causing Asthmatic Bronchitis). I am told there are no Allergists in my area who deal with food allergy. I'm on my own here.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Maltodextrin Intolerance Reply with quote

Guest SW wrote:
Maltodextrin is sucralose and SPLENDA brand is sucralose is maltodextrin. Organic and health foods often are free of maltodextrin, but labels must be read to be certain. Maltodextrin is found in a majority of vitamins today, meats, just about anything processed. I don't understand why.

Maltodextrine is C6nH(10n+2)O(5n+1) (where n>3) while sucralose is C12H19Cl3O8. Maybe you meant that sucrose (table sugar) is maltodextrin which although not technically correct (because C12H22O11 is the same as maltodextrin where n=2 and that's called a disaccharide instead of a polysaccharide which maltodextrin is) is closer to the truth than calling sucralose (Splenda and other brands) a maltodextrin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum