Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Buttercream Frosting (American)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herwil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: BUTTER CREAM FROSTING Reply with quote

On the 12 of Dctober in My Commercial Food Preparation Class our butter frosting was weeping. What we did to over come the problem was to do the icing outside the kitchen. I live in the Caribbean where it is very very hot, so i do the icing when the temperature is very ,very cool and I do not have a problem. Cool
Pete

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Here's a real winner and its easy to make! Reply with quote

4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup Butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
Food color, if desired

Combine all ingredients except food color in large bowl. Beat at low speed until well mixed. Increase speed to medium; beat, scraping bowl often, until light and fluffy. Tint frosting with food color, if desired.

Enjoy
dan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: butter cream Reply with quote

american butter cream is what you get a Gaint and so on. Its not real butter cream Real butter Cream has eggs in it. ANd yes it taste buttery thus butter cream. There is French,Swiss Italian and German. i live in Europe a long time. If your consired about raw eggs use intant pudding. I use Dr. Ockter its German less sweet. That will give you the custard. Just let it cool and thicking but not set.
just me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: american buttercream recipe Reply with quote

I'm a BIG fan of real butter. I use it in everything I cook or bake. I made this today and it turned out as it was supposed to, however, the butter and egg flavors were just too much for me. I was looking for a less sweet buttercream (I usually just make the quickie version). I know most of you really seem to like it, but I just wanted to say it wasn't what I was looking for. I need a better balance of flavors. Not extreme sweet, but not this buttery either. Bon appetit, my quest continues....
Marxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Yummy! Reply with quote

I am now a buttercream convert. I hate buttercreams made with butter and a ton of confectioner's sugar. Something about the texture and taste just grosses me out. Maybe it's the cornstarch in the confectioners sugar? Whatever it is, I can't stand them.

After making this, I will never eat that crap again! This recipe inspired me to make all sorts of buttercreams - French, Swiss, and Italian. The French recipe I found (using just egg yolks) and the American recipe given here are my favorite - they taste like creme brulee icing! The Swiss and Italian buttercreams are nice if you want really white icing. They are also bit lighter in texture so they work well for icing cupcakes 9I like to make a sort of mound). I threw a bit of cream of tartar into the meringue when I was making Italian buttercream and it was the perfect consistency/stability for piping/decorating. Thanks for the great recipe.

I've been playing with these recipes trying to make a perfect chocolate buttercream. I am not quite there yet, but I am enjoying the process Smile
Maja H

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Buttercream Novice Reply with quote

This recipe is totally on par with what "America's Test Kitchen" cookbook has. I am off to make a half-batch for some cupcake frosting.

nom-nom-nom

I'm already salivating over how good it's going to be. I love your recipes!
Desi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: add more eggs? Reply with quote

I love your buttercream-it perfectly fits my lifestyle.I personally don't mind the raw eggs(neither does my family),because I try to consume my food 60%raw, and I know that the eggs are healthy only when consumed raw-the same thing with the milk,butter...but that's another issue...
My question is: can I use 4 eggs,but cut the butter from recipe in half(4 eggs and 1/2 pound butter) or will it mess up the whole consistency?I really like to use more eggs,because it will feel less buttery and heavy,but do you think it will come up to the correct consistency with half of the butter?
Thank you in advance!I'm waiting for your response and will make the cake this weekend.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cutting the butter in half is pretty drastic - never tried it but I suspect the mix will be too dry to cream well.

aside from the vanilla, the liquid in the recipe comes from the egg and butter (which has about 10% water by weight)

you've probably seen many buttercream recipes with milk - if you opt to go with 50% of the butter, you may need to add a bit more liquid (I'd try the milk) which by my rough calculations would be 2-3 tablespoons. go slow on adding additional liquid - once added, if the mix is too thin, the only solution is to add more and more sugar.... [I goofed up my measurements once - wound up with enough icing for the cake and both cars . . .]
Desi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,Dilbert!I will try to add some milk-it goes in the egg mixture, right?Just before I start to add the pieces of butter?Do you think that I can add some honey instead of the sugar-is it considered a liquid, so can I opt out the milk?Thank you again!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>milk

I would start creaming the butter and sugar, and as it may appear "too dry" add a bit of milk until you get the "conventional" lighten creaming result with no gritty sugar left in the mix.

>>honey
sorry, we're out on a limb here - definitely into "experiment" territory.
honey, although it does contain water - it is also a lot of sugars - that would not be my first option.

not sure that Mother Nature intended "icing" to be a health food - cake is pretty much just an excuse to spoon down a good tasting mixture of sugar and fat . . . .
Heather

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: buttercream Reply with quote

CAn I use liquid egg whites (pasteurized and in a container) to make buttercream?

thanks for any help on this!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>egg whites only

worth a try - but be aware the yolk contains both fat and emulsifiers - the result may not be quite a smooth as with whole eggs.
weezie58

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Amazing buttercream Reply with quote

I used this to frost my daughter's wedding cake. Everyone raved about it. I baked a 6 layer 16 x 16 inch graduated square cake styled to resemble a sand castle with four corner turrets and a central tower, then used the buttercream in constructing and frosting the cake. I then flocced the cake with Nilla Wafer crumbs to resemble sand, and studded the tiers with white chocolate sea shells. I draped the towers with a pearl garland, and voila-- folks raved.
It is now my favorite icing. I am just about to make a double batch for my granddaughter's birthday cake.
Thanks for this lovely recipe!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Bringing it back! Reply with quote

At the request of a friend, I decided to give caramel cake a try. Or really, if you're from the area, a yellow cake with caramel-y icing. All of the recipes I found in family, church, school sponsored, etc., cookbooks didn't really seem to include an actual caramel icing like I wanted. Often they would call for a brown sugar cop out, or some concoction of condensed milk. Not necessarily bad, just every caramel cake I've tried, the icing has been too dense and oversweet. I decided to make up some caramel and try a few different methods for a caramel covering and I've gotta say that this semi-Swiss, semi-Italian I suppose, caramel buttercream Frankenstein is awesome. I don't know what the hell to call it except tasty. Plus, if/when your butter, sugar, egg whites starts to "curdle," a just warm enough caramel being drizzled in while the mixer chugs along, brings it back in a snap. I didn't use the recipe here, but folks have been following this for years and I wanted to share my experiment. Hell, who needs an excuse to make caramel anyway Smile
Wally

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Optimum Buttercream Reply with quote

When a cake is iced with a traditional French Buttercream and refrigerated, how long should you wait before serving after removing from the refrigerator? When does the optimal texture and flavor occur? Thank You
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: