Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do they make ice cream soft?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I totally forgot about that. I use a teaspoon to a tablespoon of vodka in my sorbets to keep it from freezing too hard.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing they put in the ice cream you buy from the store is called Colco. I don't know what it's made out of but I know it's not a very healthy product. Many of the people I've interviewed in a drug and alcohol rehab center said that they've tried drugs that contained this Colco paste. So it's not only bad for your health, it's also addictive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try adding karo syrup (corn syrup) to the ice cream mix as it is churning. A 1/2 cup per quart of ice cream is a good start. The corn syrup, much like alchohol, will prevent the ice cream from freezing rock hard as long as it is kept at normal freezing tempuratures ( 20 degrees or so) typical of a household freezer. Anything colder and it won't matter what you add it will still freeze solid.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A typical household freezer is 0 degrees F or below. If it was only 20 degrees, food would slowly spoil.
Tanizaki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How do they make ice cream soft? Reply with quote

pookel wrote:
I recently made a batch of excellent ice cream at home. As usual, it turned rock hard once it was in the freezer. I know this is normal for homemade ice cream. But I want to know how commercial ice cream is made softer, and if there's any way to replicate that at home. Even if it involves frightening chemical additives ... seriously. I'm willing to risk my health for soft ice cream.

I believe the reason is the size of the ice crystals in the commercial ice cream. They have facilities to whip the ice cream under conditions that are colder than those of your kitchen. You may have noticed that the commercial ice cream gets hard after the first time you have some. That is because once it's taken out of the freezer environment, some of the ice melts and when it freezes again, it forms much larger crystals.
JEFF

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: MAKING ICE CREAM SOFT IN YOUR MACHINE Reply with quote

If you use agave nectar instead of sugar your ice cream will be nice and soft. Very scoopable. 3/4 cup agave nectar = 1 cup sugar. Here's my recipe for cold processed ("raw") ice cream

1 pint raw cream (or any heavy cream)
1 pint raw milk (or any milk)
4 whole eggs
3/4 cup agave nectar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract or a third cup cacoa powder if making chocalate.

I also prechill the ice cream mixture for one hour in the freezer before I put it in the ice cream maker. It seems to help get more air in the ice cream and make it fluffier.

Good luck!
jamiescot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandmother has this old recipe that I always love when it comes to ice cream. She uses heavy cream and she says the secret is on the mixing. She uses hand mixer to achieve her desired output. For the commercially sold ice cream, I guess they are also using lots of cream and they have already perfected the time of mixing to achieve the desired texture.
jimmy1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: actual ice cream Reply with quote

I've always been told that the best and only way to get actual homemade soft and creamy ice cream (not gellato (eggs added) or sorbet (fruit juices)) is to add 1 packet of unflavored gelatin per each gallon of ice cream ingredients. (It's the trick that places such as ben and jerry's and cold stone creamery use...) It eliminates ice crystals and adds bonding agent for densely packed creamy soft ice cream Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Higher fat content prevents hardening. Reply with quote

Also, I use whole eggs, separating them and pouring hot custard over beaten egg whites prior to chilling. I also whip cream before adding to custard. When I have made recipe with more cream than milk, end result is ice cream that stays easily scoopable from freezer.
Dude111

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like SOFT ICE CREAM much better than hard Smile
snel afvallen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine was toooo soft Disbelief I didn't mixed them enough. Water Ice is also nice Teasing
Boldsep

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use to add a drop or two of rum. It's just delicious!
junkhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard they constantly churn the ice cream. I do not know if this is to make the ice cream really creamy or to make it soft.

If your ice cream is still hard, put it in the microwave for a few seconds. Kid you not that is what I used to do when I was a youngster at work. image putting 2 gallons ice cream block into a giant microwave. that;s right. it happened. along with taking a sledge hammer to the frozen block of concentrated orange juice. Smile
efficient88

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for sharing the info. Love it and will try it. Big smile
henryperez123

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the ice cream be made soft without using rum and with out any alcoholic stuff.

Last edited by henryperez123 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum