Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Lemon Iced Tea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haintblue

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: I just want the taste near the Snapple Lemon Tea..... Reply with quote

DO NOT STEW THE TEA
tea bags brew in less than a minute, loose tea no more than three minutes, this REALLY makes a HUGE difference in how the tea tastes, and try using the lemon zest instead of the juice, if what you are going for is the flavor of Snapple, try Typhoo tea, use a vegetable peeler on the lemon, probably one good slice of peel should do it, you dont want any white (pith) remove tea leaves or bags first, then drop in the lemon zest, its the oil from the outside of the peel that has the lemon flavor you are looking for, three quarters cup sugar for two quarts tea should make it sweet as Snapple, and refrigerate for a couple hours, ice will only make it taste like melted ice, yuck
lucy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: just a little bit different Reply with quote

This is what i do. when i make tea i do everything but add the sugar and lemon juice. instead i make a simple surip with fresh mint springs. i'll add that in and use the left over surip at night for juleps.
rich.bronson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like what I do too. I like to make it as healthy as possible but try to retain the good taste of the tea.
Naomi

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Lemon iced tea Reply with quote

Goodness, I never thought iced tea meant so many different things to so many people.
How I make iced tea depends on the quantity I need. For Mock Sun Tea I use a gallon sized glass jar, 18-20 regular sized lipton or Red Rose tea bags. Add 2 quarts boling or almost boiling purified water, let steep for 5 minutes, then fill the jar to an inch from the top with cool water and let it sit for at least 1 hour. Remove tea bags, do not squeeze, add 1 cup of sugar stir to dissolve. At that point I transfer it to my gallon size tupperware pitcher and refrigerate it. My family members add lemon slices or juice and/or mint when they serve up their ice filled glasses.

I prefer to add mint to the jar after adding the cool water, but not everyone loves mint as much as me. I also LOVE to serve my tea over crushed ice with sliced Meyer lemons and plenty of mint from my garden.

I have used loose teas of all different varieties, most take 4 tablespoons to the gallon of water. Using loose tea gives more body to the tea, a almost creaminess. Bottled or purified water does matter. I never use tap water as it leaves a bad after taste from minerals.
Alex

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I prefer lime to lemon. It's more bitter and less sour, and I think it tastes better.
pamreardon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: quarts are different in US and Canada Reply with quote

Hi. I enjoyed the Lemon Ice Tea recipe which I've been reading some years after it appeared.
Did you know that in Canada a quart has 5 cups, i.e. it is 40 ounces, and not the same in the US where it is 4 eight-ounce cups and = 32 oz.

The confusion only occurs if you do not include the actual number of ounces you intend or a metric quivalent in your recipe.(You have done that for the lemon juice ingredient.)

Remember,the same problem occurs with pints. Two pints equal one quart in both countries but in Canada a pint or half-quart equals 20 ounces.

Most of this doesn't matter since Canada went metric years and years ago but in recipes it really can still count - your Nestea re-creation would be quite different and paler and weaker with 25% more water to start.

Engineers, can you include

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Non-nutritive sugar Reply with quote

Hello, I'm bumping this post up for the sugar amt. In the recipe, it states 3/4 cup sugar. How much would that be for non-nutritive sweeteners (saccharine) which are much stronger than plain sucrose. Does anyone have any experience?
m3ggan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: conversion Reply with quote

On the bags of Splenda, it has a conversion for you.
yogiman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Sun tea Reply with quote

We all differ on our tea desires. I use a gallon size glass tea jug, place 8 teabags in it and let it set in the sun all day. Some times I use 5 or 6 regular tea and add 2 or 3 mint tea bags. I use 1 1/2 cup sugar and 4 oz bottled lemon juice for personal flavor. Then enjoy!
blondeaccountant.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: makin tea Reply with quote

I'm southern but my dad was English so I like ice tea and hot tea. I've always been a tea addict but I can't take the caffeine, so I use naturally decaffeinated for both.

I also can't use white sugar cuz of arthritis (it's poison), so I use either a little raw sugar or dark brown sugar just to take the edge off. With hot tea I'll use honey. I add it after I take the bag out, dissolve it, then I'll pour it into a 10-12 oz glass for iced & put ice in to fill the glass.

I agree, a coffee maker makes great tea concentrate and filtered water tastes the best. I use 1 teabag to 6 oz, steep 5 mins. For a quart I use 6 bags. Only use glass, no metal so there's no leaching.

I can add ice cubes to my concentrate and it doesn't get cloudy. Amazing--it's the sediment in the tap water that makes it cloudy. Since I use filtered water, there's no sediment.

If it's a little strong or weak, then I might add a little juice to flavor it--like mango or peach, cranberry, etc.

I love lemon but I just read something that said never add lemon to tea for health reasons, but it didn't say why & I didn't want to buy the report, so I'm searchin the net for info and that's how I wound up here! I also have added a little bit of Koolaid lemonade mix to flavor it when I didn't have any liquid or the real fruit. Maybe that wouldn't have the same health issue.

Isn't it great that everybody loves makin tea--hot and cold?! I collect teasets--esp. hand painted ones--have since I was a little girl; my Cuban grandma turned me onto it. We used to have tea time everyday.

One year I gave my sister a handpainted Russian teaset from St. Petersburg--just beautiful. When I come to visit and she's stressed I make her bring it out and we have tea time to relax. I also bought a handpainted teaset from a Polish concentration camp survivor who wrote a book about his experiences there--Julius Tomsit and his wife. Lovely set, lovely couple.

Well if I find out anything about that lemon health issue I'll come back and post it; maybe someone else will find it too.

Have a good day!

blondeaccountant
Timothy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lame larh eyy . haa . it's iced lemon tea . not lemon iced tea . don't know english urh ? ishk ..
Bruce Hodgson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Iced Tea Receipe from an Engineer Reply with quote

Hi,
Internet is global. I have picked up your receipe from New Zealand.

We use Metric measurement as does 90% of the world. As an engineer you will understand units of measurement. Could you please convert the strange units 'Quarts, ounces, cups' to litres, millilitres or grams.

Cann't wait to try. Sounds good.

Thanks Bruce Hodgson.
Megan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: This is amazing! Reply with quote

This is the best kind of tea I have stumbled upon,
Everything was perfect.
Thank you so much!

It tastes just like Liptions Iced tea with Lemon to me!
My favorite tea, so, pretty awesome.
(:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: The key to good iced tea is to use good tea. Reply with quote

The crap they put in tea bags isn't fit to drink, warm or cold, sweetened or unsweetened.

Personally, I prefer my iced tea unsweetened. I normally use a Formosa Ooolong of good quality, and make it in batches of 2 1/2 gallons. The Ooolong is great, because you can pretty much boil the water, dump the tea into the water, and then just let it sit. It won't get bitter, even if you leave the tea leaves in overnight. Usually, I let it sit for up to an hour, then fill up the sink with cold water, put the pot with the tea into it to cool it down. Add some freshly squeezed lemon juice once the tea is cold, pour into pitchers (I got two of the model you got in your picture), and stick them in the fridge.

I go through 1-2 batches a week, more in the summers. Great with most types of food, and guilt-free. :-)
Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: better ice tea Reply with quote

Here is the best recipe.
2 quarts water
10 organic green tea bags
2/3 cup sugar
1 small fresh squeezed lemon
1/8 teaspoon baking soda

bring water and tea bags to boil and remove immediately from heat. Add baking soda ( The baking soda neutralizes the acid or tannin in the tea making it smoother to drink. This cuts down on bitterness from accidental over-steeping and reduces cloudiness in the tea.) Add sugar to the pitcher and then the hot tea and stir well. Stir in lemon juice. Put in refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Enjoy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: