Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Ratatouille
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laurenist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make this all the time now, so thank you. I usually mix the juices from the can of tomatoes and white wine in place of the stock. I'm going to have to try the red wine like someone above me. I also eat this as bruschetta and it's, well, amazing. Thanks!
CivilSarah

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Substitution for Eggplant? Reply with quote

I realize this may be slightly sacrilegious, but I am not in the habit of keeping eggplant stocked in my fridge on a regular basis, nor am I a fan of the taste. Is there a veggie that would suffice as a substitute without compromising the flavor and texture of this dish? I have never tried it, but would love to use my husband as a guinea pig!

Thanks.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>without compromising the flavor and texture of this dish?

hmmmm, perhaps texture but in the flavor department,,, not really [g]

there's a lot of of flavors in the dish - it does not turn out like "egg plant puree" so to speak - I would encourage you to try it. I don't stock eggplant either - I buy one when I want it.

buy small ones - bigger is not better in eggplant - it should be firm and have a smooth skin - no dimpling / wrinkling - that's past its prime.
I always peel mine - I don't care for the skin strips in my dishes.

for substitutions the first thing that comes to mind is zucchini - I suspect fairly thick slice (half inch or so) and watch the cooking time as zucchini goes to mush pretty quick when overcooked.
JULIETTE and boys

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFTER READING THE MAJORITY OF COMMENTS I HAD NO IDEA HOW MANY OPPINIONS PEOPLE HAD ABOUT A SIMPLE YET NOT SO COMMON RECIPE. IT WAS SO DIFFICULT TO FIND IN 10-15 COOKBOOKS I SEARCHED THRU. ONLY ONE HAD IT AND I WASNT GOING TO BUY THE BOOK JUST FOR ONE RECIPE. JULST LIKE A FEW READERS I WAS ASKED BY MY TWO BOYS 9 AND 12 TO MAKE THIS RECIEP AFTER WATCHING THE MOVIE. THEY PROMISSED TO EAT IT NO MATTER HOW IT TASTED THEIR NOT BIG ON EATTING VEGIES ESPECIALLY EGGPLANT SO I JUMPED ON IT. I WILL HAVE TO GET BACK TO YOU ON THE RESULTS. JULIETTE AND BOYS.
ssarryo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

This is easily converted into a vegan dish. Hmm.
G33ksquared

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Just wanted to let you know thanks to you I had a very hearty meal if ratatouille!
I had to improvise a little as I recklessly assumed tomato paste and sauce were the same deal.
ews

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: garlic before onion Reply with quote

Julie the "good" chef wrote:
Quote:
But, why would anyone ever saute their minced garlic before their onions? Any good chef will tell you that your garlic will be apt to burn especially in an olive oil which boils hotter than some other oils (like vegetable, canola, and others).

This bothered me when I read it, but I didn't respond because the comment wasn't worth dignifying with a response. Any good chef would know how to saute their garlic before onions without burning the former. My mom often cooks this way--its gives the garlic time to release a deeper flavor, as my chef-instructors in cooking school taught me. And if there need be anymore proof, I give you an excerpt from the venerable James Beard's Beard on Food as he delivers his own Ratatouille recipe to his readers:

... very gently saute 5 finely chopped garlic cloves. Add 1 1/2 cups chopped onion, and let that melt down and blend with the garlic ...

While James Beard was a prolific author, entertainer, and promoter, he is not often held up as an authority on chemistry or terminology. The words "saute," "melt," and "gently" do not in any sense go together. The first poster is quite correct that if you saute garlic first and continue at that heat, it will burn. It should be clear that the author of the article was merely using the wrong word, and was actually sweating in oil.

Perhaps instead you could have found fault with the original poster's suggestion that olive oil "boils" hotter than canola--I assume that he meant flash point--as only the vilest grade of olive oil has a higher flash point than canola, and if we're sweating, we're not close to the flash point anyway. As any good cook would know.
Eyetalian Cheesehead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Wine with ratatouille Reply with quote

Regarding the question about inexpensive wines to go with this dish, I have a few suggestions, all of which retail for about $20 or less. First off, if you're looking to pair a wine with a cuisine form a certain area, it's never a bad move to choose a wine from the same region. Since this dish is Provencal, any number of rhone varietals (syrah, grenache, mourvedre or a blend thereof) would probably work well. IMHO, neither cabernet nor merlot would complement the flavors of this dish -- but to each their own. Juan Gil Jumilla (~$17/bottle) might be a good choice. French Rhone wines are a little too expensive for my pocketbook since the Euro started clobbering the dollar, but the Aussies do a pretty nice job with the shirazes -- just expect them to be a little more fruit-forward than their French counterparts. Layer Cake Shiraz '06 or '08 is a little on the heavy side, but would work well at less than $15/bottle; If you are not easily offended, there is a good grenache bottling called "B-tch" that might work well for ~$11/bottle (and it makes a great gag gift). A nice Cali Zin would also be a good fit -- Seghesio, Murhpy Goode, Murietta, Dry Creek, Eberle, Midnight Cellars are frequently good bets. Don't like reds, or it's warm out and you're eating cold food? How about a nice Tavel Rose (sorry, I don't know how to make the accent aigu appear here)? I've also had good roses made from sangiovese, syrah and malbec. Perhaps my favorite rose ever was Pipestone Grenache Rose, but I think the price was over $20. Their syrah was prestty solid, too.
For a white, I would suggest viognier -- Yalumba makes a good bottling for about $10/bottle. Their Eden Valley is even better.
Looks like I got a little carried away...
Big Jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Rattatouille town hall Reply with quote

I'm impressed with the vigorous flood of comments and suggestions this recipe has invoked. I know the movie was very popular, but I think the great taste and healthiness of Rattatouille is the common vector here. My experience with Rattatouille is from Pelican's Wharf, a restaurant in Austin Tx, (sadly gone now) where my girfriend (now wife) and I would split an order with our main courses. It was a delight and I will attempt to cook it now, post haste. Thanks for the lively discussion! Viva Rattatouille!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this recipe. It's easy to make, and you can be pretty flexible with the ingredients. I've made it several times. Last night I made it and then found out a friend was coming over for dinner, and he's really picky about stuff he hasn't tried before. Even he enjoyed it, though.
cyndi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: great dish for my diet! Reply with quote

I looked all over the web and my cookbooks for a simple ratatouille recipe that I could adapt while on a calorie-restricted diet. This was perfect! I reduced the oil down to a tsp but sprayed some olive-oil spray as necessary to keep from sticking. I used more fresh herbs - some oregano and thyme - and added a splash of balsamic vinegar at the end. Thanks so much and I really liked the format you used, too...and I'm no engineer!
renee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was wondering if i would leave the skin on the eggplant.. i have never used eggplant before and have no idea about it.. thanks for any help Smile
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest peeling the eggplant. some folks do leave it on, but I find that makes for "stringy UFOs" in the final dish . . .
Carol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Cooking for Engineers website Reply with quote

I’d never run into your site,
Til one long and frustrating night
When, driving myself screwy
To find a good ratatouille,
Your site popped and I saw the light.

Then I noticed a whole other list
Of your dishes that I almost missed,
Now my repertoire’s grown
With your help alone –
And this cook is constantly kissed.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooking for Engineers website Reply with quote

Carol wrote:
I’d never run into your site,
Til one long and frustrating night...

That was an awesome poem/compliment! Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: