Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cast Iron Cooking Grate Replacement for Weber Kettle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Cast Iron Cooking Grate Replacement for Weber Kettle Reply with quote

Am working on a review for Meathenge on Craycort's new cast iron replacement grill for the weber kettle. I had planned on doing just one review, but after using this past weekend, I need to let everyone know how fantastic it is. It is as awesome as it sounds.

I know it sounds odd, but my first use wasn't in my kettle, but over a hole I dug at a friend's place up in Calistoga. Figured I had the weekend and a perfect time to goof off and see what it can do. It's preseasoned, ready to go. I tossed chicken, sausages, bacon (cooked directly/indirectly), country style pork ribs and a good sized beef tri-tip on the sucker and it was absolutely delightful! I'd forgotten how nice it is to actually grill using cast iron. It's well made, the cast looks solid with no imperfections. The preseasoning was complete and works as it should. After I was done cooking, used a grill brush and cleaned it right up.

There are 4 removable sections so you can get access to the fire below, or buy an additional griddle for it. There's a few things you can buy in conjunction with it, here's their web site: http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/

I had a few email conversations with the owner/inventor and he's a really nice guy and contacted weber directly along with many other big players. Nobody wanted anything to do with it, so he set himself up and is selling the rigs himself. Personally, I think they really blew it. While the basic 22.5" rig costs about 85 bux, it's a great way to breathe new life in to an already fantastic charcoal fired pit.

I stopped by here because I want to make sure this guy is able to get his new product and company off the ground and because it's a great grate.

Biggles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the review Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to review this. Very interested in it. David
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the review Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to review this. Very interested in it. David

You should be, I'll be doing another review on Meathenge here in the next week or so. They sent me the griddle insert and chicken cooker rack thingy a few weeks ago. It's a perfect holiday gift. So far, it's one of the few things you can buy for the kettle that will make it oh so much better than before. Or breathe life in to a neglected rig.

Speaking of which, the kettle I'll be using couldn't possibly be more neglected. It's red, more than 20 years old and hasn't been used in maybe 10 years or more. The bottom vents have seized, grates have more than rusted beyond use, the wooden handles are a shambles. It'll be fun making it all go!

Biggles
JFDavid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am also glad you reviewed this product, i will definitely be getting one for myself!
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFDavid wrote:
i am also glad you reviewed this product, i will definitely be getting one for myself!

You're welcome, am still impressed. They sent me the griddle insert and the upright chicken cooker thingy, haven't had a chance to check that out yet. The weather is picking up, time to give them a shot!

Biggles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum