Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cherry jelly: time to set fully?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Cherry jelly: time to set fully? Reply with quote

Washington has had a bumper cherry crop and I took on the task of making jam/jelly. Not quite jam because I ran it through a colander (china cap), but not quit jelly either because I didn't use cheese-cloth.

I've made jams/preserves before but only using blackberries. I know the boil point, duration and the essential sugar+fruit+pectin ratios, and they always came out good.

But the cherry jam/jelly I made yesterday have me stumped. They are sitting there on the counter in their nicely tight sealed jars, but they look like they haven't jelled very much at all!

The Sure-Jell insert said it might take a few weeks, but I don't want to wait that long because I'd like to make another batch and improve it, if necessary, before the crop runs out. 97 cents a pound is a good deal!

So the question is: does cherry jelly/jam take a while to set up after it's been canned? How many days?
danicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried making jam actually. But me friends does. It depends on how you make it though. I forgot to ask but I'll ask him if you want. Probably 4-6days I guess..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum