Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Kellogg's Rice Krispies Treats
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: question! Reply with quote

should i turn off the stove when i put in the cereal? actually, when should i turn it off at all?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: question! Reply with quote

guest wrote:
should i turn off the stove when i put in the cereal? actually, when should i turn it off at all?

When I wrote the article, I didn't bother turning off the heat until I picked up the pot to pour/scoop its contents into the pan to shape and set. The last several times I've made the recipe, I did turn off the heat once the marshmallows were melted.
www.ascendiac.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: sRKT Recipe Reply with quote

When I saw the cost of the "energy bars" my wife was eating as a snack, I decided to see if I could massage this recipe into a reasonable substitute. Call it sRKT, for superRiceKrispieTreats.

INPUT:
3 Tablespoons butter
4 Tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 cup chocolate (chips, chunks, candy bar pieces, etc.)
1 cup chopped nuts. Any type will do.
10 oz. marshmallows
6 cups puffed rice cereal

TRANSFER FUNCTION: (It's for engineers, right?!?)
In a large (preferably non-stick) pot, warming on the lowest stove top heat setting, place the butter. Wait for it to melt. Add the peanut butter and mix them together (convolve). When mixed, convolve chocolate. When mixed, convolve nuts. When mixed, convolve marshmallows. When melted, convolve cereal. Put in wax paper-lined baking pan. Cool to room temperature, cut, and eat.

OUTPUT:
Protein-enriched, choco-peanutbutter rice treats.

If you want to help out, visit my Web site and buy a copy of my non-cooking-related novel. Yes, I have too much free time. -W

http://www.ascendiac.com
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

note to readers:

the above is a blatant advertising post for a diet book.

before you invest, go to any authority of your choice and search the author or "miracle drug"

note that the US FDA does not regulate dietary supplements or snake oil, so it's strictly buyer beware.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Ascendiac Reply with quote

REGARDING ABOVE POST:
The book, Ascendiac, referenced above is a NOVEL. It's a MADE UP STORY for entertainment purposes only. There's absolutely NOTHING in it about how to diet, diet plans, or anything else. It's fiction, pure and simple.
Regards,
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Correction to sRKT recipe Reply with quote

sRKT recipe correction:

Sorry, that should read 6 cups TOASTED rice cereal (Rice Krispies-esque), not puffed rice.

So much for trying to avoid registered trademarks....
Deb

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took these to a department Christmas party when I was a graduate student. Among the other contributions were Chex Mix and oatmeal cookies.
All the food was well-received, but some of the international students asked if using breakfast foods was a tradition for Christmas in the US. . . Maybe it is?

My favorite variation on the basic recipe is to throw in a small handful of oatmeal with the cereal -- more flavor and the texture is still good.
imnokid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: kelloggs rice crispie treats Reply with quote

Found this forum while searching for an explanation why my treats came out hard as a rock for the first time. Saw the recipes and thought I'd share this.
It has an ingrediant left out these days, but my mom always made them this way. She also used some extra butter. ;-)

I have a full page add with Howdy Doody advertising
Kellogg's 9 Minute marshmallow crispie squares

1/4 cup of butter or margarine
1/2 pound of marshmallows(about 2 1/2 dozen)
5 cups of Kellogg's rice crispies
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla flavoring.

That vanilla adds just the right touch.

BTW, I am 56 and they are STILL my favorite food! ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda(guest),

I know this is really late but I've used coconut oil in place of butter with good results. Of course they taste a bit like coconut but thats a plus for us.
joyful

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Crispy treats Reply with quote

Fun to add in colored sprinkles! I use wax paper to press mixture into 13x9 pan. Works GREAT and no messy hands, spoon etc.
mooncrater308

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Leave Marshmallows Partially UnMelted Reply with quote

I like to stir in the Rice Krispies cereal before the marshmallows are entirely melted... this allows a more tasty, gooey, chewy finished product. Not so dry and... hard.
irene

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: colored marshmallows? Reply with quote

how do you think it would turn out if i used lets say green or pink marsmallows?
mooncrater308

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Try Less "Cereal" AND Less "Mixing Reply with quote

I like the idea (of green and/or pink marshmallow)... but also the LESS mixing and cereal bits, the better. Perhaps use substantially less krispies than marshmallow so that it's easier to mix without crushing the bits. Know what I mean?

When the stuff is either overmixed or too much cereal it's hard, flavorless, and the color is wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: 150 comments??? Reply with quote

Dang, I counted all these comments one-by-one, then later i noticed that tally was noted at the top of the thread. I thought I'd counted 150, but the counter said 149, so I am leaving this comment to bring the total to 150.
Ahem!...
krispie baby

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: a lifetime Reply with quote

Y'all, I was born the same year that rice krispie treats were. I first learned to make them when I was so small I had to stand on a step stool to reach the stove. Don't guess I've made them much more than a thousand times in my life-the most recent batch three days ago, and I'v never thought of some of the clever ideas posted here. The peanut butter/ choc roll ups will make my grand children love me all over again, the cranberry ones are to die for and the Milkyway idea is going to be my next attempt. And all because I put cereal in my search engine because I had to get up early with the DH this AM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: