Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My kingdom for a quickie fried egg.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boilerplate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: My kingdom for a quickie fried egg. Reply with quote

I cook on electric because I have no choice. Even if I knew how to cook, I would view electric as an abomination. I'm so sick of waiting for my pans to heat up I can spit. Because I don't know any better, I take to heart all the crap I read about heavy, thick bottomed pans. There are times when I want to fry a quick egg and not wait all day for my skillet to get hot. I love my cast iron skillets, but there are times when I just want to eat now and not rhapsodize about the even heat in a half inch thick pan.

I would love for a savvy cook to advise me on how to buy an inexpensive skillet that cooks now, not later.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bp -

as you point out, there's a time lag from ON to HOT - and there's really no pan that can over come that.

have you considered an induction style hot plate? they heat very quickly
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also going to suggest going to an induction stove. They heat extremely rapidly and efficiently. They also have immediate heat adjustment and don't throw a lot of wasted heat into the kitchen like a gas stove does. Virtually 100% of the heat goes into the pot or pan.
boilerplate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't too keen on the "induction" idea, but I think I stumbled on to part of my problem watching a cook show last night. I noticed that a cook in an impressively equipped kitchen was using a cheap looking, flimsy frying pan to quick saute some minced garlic and chopped onions. The metal in the dented pan looked thin enough to be heated up to speed with a zippo lighter. That cook looked like he could prepare a four course dinner in the time it took my cast-iron skillet just to get hot.

I'm going to look at some more cheap frying pans without built-up heavy bottoms — then all I have to wait for is the electric burner to get hot. I've already looked at a few. They come with straight, slanted, and rounded sides. Life is so tough for a dumb guy in a kitchen.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bad news is the time it takes for a pan to heat through is prolly one fifth the time it takes an electric coil burner to get hot.

on the upside, you will have little problem finding an el'cheepie thin pan - and it will not be a particularly expensive experiment!

well, lots of butter required, but it's not all that expensive either.
Gravesy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is any good for you but you can make quick fried eggs in a flat-bed panini machine with a pastry ring.

Brush a little oil in the bed, put a pastry ring on the bed and crack the egg in the pastry ring. Close the lid on the panini machine and the egg cooks very quickly. The panini machine goes from cold to ready in no time at all as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum