Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone out there sort the mysteries of braising?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Can anyone out there sort the mysteries of braising? Reply with quote

I just followed a recipe for "braising" lamb shanks from recipezaar and was disappointed with the results. The first thing that felt wrong was that the shanks were "under water" so to speak, submerged in the wine/stock/veggies. I thought braising was cooking long and slow at a bare simmer, with just about an inch of liquid/vegetables, (replenished as needed) uncovered in the oven. So here are my questions for the adorable and super-smart engineers: how much liquid? covered or uncovered? dredge meat with flour before browning, or not? Is there an ideal temperature for the oven? And finally, in general, what determines whether or not one covers the pot when long slow cooking meats in the oven?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>how much liquid?
undefined except by recipe - but you're right, not submerged.

>>covered or uncovered?
covered, usually - prevent evaporation....

>>dredge meat with flour before browning, or not?
technically, not part of braising per se. browning the meat makes for flavor and color; flour becomes a thickening agent, with some color / taste added if you get to it's toasting temp.

>>Is there an ideal temperature for the oven?
dunno about "ideal" but 275-325'F is about my max for braising - elsewise you drive off all the moisture.

>>And finally, in general, what determines whether or not one covers the pot when long slow cooking meats in the oven?

there are "wet" cooking methods and "dry" cooking methods.
wet methods most often used for tougher cuts of meat - allows time & moisture to break down the fibers. boil, poach, braise, stew...

dry methods - baking / roasting / broiling / grilling - work best where the dish itself has enough fat / moisture to avoid it drying out to shoe leather.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum