Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooking Tests: Eggplant Taste Test
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Eggplants Reply with quote

I had the impression the salt was to draw out some of the water content.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unknown eggplant in the upper left corner looks like the variety "Listada de Gandia" an heirloom variety that has recently become popular for its taste and color. The picture here (seedsavers.org, an heirloom seed distributer) doesn't do the color justice. From what I have grown, it looks exactly like the one in your picture. Sadly, my harvest this last summer was very poor so I did not get nearly as much as I would have liked, but I will be growing again next year.
JasonTrue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salting is only partially for extracting bitterness and for adding flavor to eggplant.

The more important contribution it makes to preparing eggplant is controlling how the cell walls collapse during cooking. If eggplant is salted before it is cooked, the texture is much more desirable, regardless of whether the eggplant is fried or braised.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a Fanatical Eggplant Salter for years, I would always cover the sliced eggplant with liberal quantities of salt for a quarter hour or so before cooking. That was until I had kids and didn't have quite as much time for those sort of shenanigans. So one day I just bunged them in the pan as they came, and they were fine. I've never salted again.

I've found that the only difference between salted and unsalted eggplants is that the salted ones are.. saltier.
Another Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Eggplant Salting Reply with quote

Based upon all the books and cooking shows I've read and seen, salting is used to "extract" any excess moisture from the eggplant.

Also, I've found out recently that salt "dulls"/blocks the bitterness in foods (at the taste buds???). So the perception that salting draws out the bitter compounds may be a misconception... Instead the salting mask the bitter compounds... I need to do more research on this.

I personally don't salt eggplant... too much time and effort... and obtain good results.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: to salt or not to salt - that is the question Reply with quote

It is my understanding that the bitterness lies in the skin - not the flesh - so removing the skin of older eggplants will cut the bitterness. Salt has no effect on bitterness - it is used to pull out the moisture.

It is important to get firm, shiny eggplant. If your eggplant is a little older - peel them - and proceed.
vanklimt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: eggplant bitterness Reply with quote

in my 25 years of professional cooking experience (oooh ahhh) it seems to me that undercooked eggplant is bitter, properly cooked it is not. eggplant is not one of those vegetables that you cook "al dente".
caromish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: eggplant taste test Reply with quote

The best way to prepare eggplant is to roast over charcoal until the skin blisters, and the flesh has softened; failing the barbecue a flame on the gas hob will do. Place eggplant in paper bag for five minutes to remove bitter skin the more easily, alternatively rinse under running tap but this renders the flesh slightly slimy and dilutes flavour; a few bits of charred skin are acceptable in the finished dish. Mash peeled soft eggplant with lemon juice which returns grey flesh to white again, add several tablespoons of taheina (sesame paste), salt, pepper, and crushed garlic, then mix thoroughly. Cover finished dish with a thin film of olive oil to prevent crust from forming. This dish is common throughout the Middle East, and has various names including motabbel and babaganoush.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome blog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I've found out recently that salt "dulls"/blocks the bitterness in foods (at the taste buds???). So the perception that salting draws out the bitter compounds may be a misconception... Instead the salting mask the bitter compounds... I need to do more research on this.

It is my understanding that the bitterness lies in the skin - not the flesh - so removing the skin of older eggplants will cut the bitterness. Salt has no effect on bitterness - it is used to pull out the moisture.

No both of these comments are incorrect. The bitterness lies in the flesh, there are specific and known alkaloids causing it and osmotic pressure from salting removes most the alkaloids. The Alkaloids are not beneficial to either taste or nutrition.

Also not only does variety affect alkaloid level, but so does gender of the eggplant, age, and size. look at base indent to see if it is round or ovoid to determine sex. You want round which is male and has way fewer seeds and lower alkaloids.

Best salting method is to grab a grate, such as the grate from your microwave or toaster oven, put it in the sink, cut the eggplant into 3/4 inch slices, salt one side with kosher or table salt, let stand on grate for 15 minutes, turn over salt the other side, wait 30 minutes, turn over salt again wait 30 minutes. Then rinse thoroughly and AFTER rinsing squeeze slices like a sponge under running water (so when you let go alkaloids are rinsed off and not reabsorbed).
danicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
soaking in salted water for about 20 minutes will remove the bitter taste

probably yes. you can also toast eggplant though then mix it with some egg, then deep fry fatty yet delicious. my friend cook it and i love it.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bitterness showed this time for the first time in all the times I have ever cooked eggplant using my familys secret recipe and after reading the above I realize it is also the first time I have ever undercooked it! Thanks mr/ms 25-year chef!
ron

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: eggplant Reply with quote

I love eggplant parmigiana, this blog and it's posted comments have helped me to understand this mysterious fruit. The idea of grilling it intrigues me. I tried it for a lady friend who a vegetarian and thought that worcestershire sauce would be a good flavoring, turns out that the eggplant slices (0.5") soaked it up like a sponge and made it inedible.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eggplant to the right most edge of your photo, that you don't have a name for might be a variety called Ichiban.
But don't quote me on it, I wouldn't know for sure without actually seeing it
Barb B.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: my favourite aubergine Reply with quote

Personally if I have a choice I always select the Sicilian eggplant--
light amethyst colour and shaped like a butt! The lighter colours seem to have more tender skin because they probably reflect more light off of them then the darker varieties. Oh, and if you've never made moussaka from scratch you have a real cooking experience ahead of you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: