Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie requires Cinder Toffe help...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ollk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Newbie requires Cinder Toffe help... Reply with quote

Hi, Here's a problem I am sure must have a 'scientific solution', but I haven't come up with an answer myself and it is driving me crazy!
I have recently been attempting to make cinder toffee (you know, that delicious golden honeycomb you get in chocolate bars) and I am getting mostly mediocre results and the odd decent result. Basically I use the following recipe..

200g Caster Sugar
100g Golden Syrup
1 TBS Bicarbonate of soda
1/2 TS vinegar

Method

Mix sugar and syrup and heat gently in pan until everything melts. Heat up to 138°C (bubbling).
Now remove from the heat and stir in Bicarb and vinegar. I have found it is very important NOT to over stir at this point just get everything mixed together then immediately poor into a grease proof pan with a layer of butter - I find the sugar continues to rise after pouring which is generally a good sign.

Problem.

In the cooling phase the whole thing is deflating. I have tried rapid cooling, covering with cling film and other things but can't get the desired effect.
It is worth mentioning that I did get a good finish once but the inside was slightly burnt!!! So maybe I am not getting things hot enough? Maybe boiling the sugar solution longer will help?

So could anyone work out how I can somehow strengthen this mixture and stop it collapsing, which I assume happens once the bicarb has stopped reacting?

BTW is the vinegar really necessary?

Olly.
alison - uk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, your recipe seems to be missing some components. Scroll down this link for a good recipe. Have to say, for the best results a sugar thermometer is the way to go. Once you have one you'll be able to make all sorts of toffee/candies properly.

http://www.gastronomydomine.com/2007/07/cinder-toffee.html
ollk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Alison. I think through your link, and here (link below), I have worked out that I haven't been heating the sugar up enough. The original recipes I used stated 138°C but your link suggests the Hard-Crack Stage, which seems to be between 148° C – 154°C!

I think I will stick to my recipe but try the higher temperature and see what happens.

BTW I am using an Infra-Red thermometer, which I suspect is good enough and being non contact doesn't require cleaning afterwards!
alison - uk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Olly,

Here's yet more links, although it seems every recipe is different, I've never made it without water before.

So you have an infra-red thermometer - how fancy shmancy is that Cool You're cooking with the big boys! I have a rather nice 30yr old brass one!

You're right - hard crack is 154*C, & I think that's right, as it's meant to be a 'very' hard crispy candy.

Good luck with your next attempt, be sure to report back.

Alison

http://icecreamireland.com/2007/11/14/honeycomb-toffee/
ollk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison - uk wrote:

So you have an infra-red thermometer - how fancy shmancy is that Cool You're cooking with the big boys! I have a rather nice 30yr old brass one!

hehe I use to fix ovens & stuff so I am not that fancy a cook, believe me! They are pretty cool if you know their limitations though!
danicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes actually vinegar would be necessary. I actually love this recipe. Good luck with your toffee..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danicamoore wrote:
Yes actually vinegar would be necessary. I actually love this recipe. Good luck with your toffee..

And yet I've seen many recipes without vinegar. There's even a video of a chef at a restaurant making ginger cheesecake w honeycomb toffee, and he doesn't even use a thermometer.... (just granulated sugar and water plus the baking soda) I am finding mine puffs up so much that it won't settle down into breakable chunks. I was wondering if eliminating the vinegar would stop that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum