Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hamburger Recipes & Tips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thedoubtingt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Hamburger Recipes & Tips? Reply with quote

Been looking around for some good hamburger recipes, but without a whole lot of success. I've found some good tips, though. Thought I'd share some of what I've found before it's too cold to BBQ anymore:

1) Use ground beef chuck, which is about 20% fat (ground beef tends to be near the 30% range). And all this time I've just been using ground beef...

2) Know what part of the animal your meat comes from. Different parts will bring different textures, fat quantities, etc.

3) If you can't find ground beef chuck, buy your beef chuck and simply ask your butcher to coarse grind it for you. One of my buddies insists it's best to grind your own meat because then you can cook it less without worrying about food poisoning/contamination. I think that's a little over the top and I don't have time and energy for that when grilling for such a large group (football parties) anyway.

4) I recently learned from watching some show on the Food Network a while ago (don't recall what the show was. Some guy was on it, though), that if you handle your meat too much it can melt the fat and make the patty too dense (not good. That'll leave your burger too dry).

5) Don't press too hard on patties when cooking. This just pushes out the fat you want to keep in to help keep them moist. In fact, avoid pushing on them at all if you can.

Any other tips my fellow BBQ-ers are aware of? I'd also like to find some good hamburger recipes, if you know of any, so please share. I'm really hoping to ditch the mediocre burgers with this weekend's football parties.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>>Any other tips

uhmmmm, yeah.

"moister" hamburgers are those with more fat, so
"Use ground beef chuck, which is about 20% fat (ground beef tends to be near the 30% range). And all this time I've just been using ground beef..."
is a problem.

next, your local supermarket probably has ground beef in various grades from 10% to 30% fat content.

then again, I would not quibble iwth the idea of having a nice chuck roast ground up.

BBQ - methinks you me "grilling" - no?

>>over mixing/handling the meat -
yep, definite truism there.
>>squeeze not thy patty on the grill
yep, definite truism there.

>>recipes...
it's all about the beef.

hamburgers with 25,000 ingredients ?
not really a hamburger anymore, eh?

salt
pepper
diced onion
minced garlic
soy sauce
Worcestershire sauce
minced hot pepper

some of the above, to taste, not all of the above.
that's it - past that you're talking meat loaf, not burger.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hamburger Recipes & Tips? Reply with quote

thedoubtingt wrote:
Been looking around for some good hamburger recipes, but without a whole lot of success. I've found some good tips, though. Thought I'd share some of what I've found before it's too cold to BBQ anymore:

1) Use ground beef chuck, which is about 20% fat (ground beef tends to be near the 30% range). And all this time I've just been using ground beef...

2) Know what part of the animal your meat comes from. Different parts will bring different textures, fat quantities, etc.

3) If you can't find ground beef chuck, buy your beef chuck and simply ask your butcher to coarse grind it for you. One of my buddies insists it's best to grind your own meat because then you can cook it less without worrying about food poisoning/contamination. I think that's a little over the top and I don't have time and energy for that when grilling for such a large group (football parties) anyway.

4) I recently learned from watching some show on the Food Network a while ago (don't recall what the show was. Some guy was on it, though), that if you handle your meat too much it can melt the fat and make the patty too dense (not good. That'll leave your burger too dry).

5) Don't press too hard on patties when cooking. This just pushes out the fat you want to keep in to help keep them moist. In fact, avoid pushing on them at all if you can.

Any other tips my fellow BBQ-ers are aware of? I'd also like to find some good hamburger recipes, if you know of any, so please share. I'm really hoping to ditch the mediocre burgers with this weekend's football parties.

Hi! First off, the myth of not pressing on your meat so it doesn't squeeze out juices is just that, a myth. Of course you don't want to take your spatula and press the bejeezus out of your patty, but if you use a bacon press or similar, you'll get a nice even browning that can't be reproduced by just letting it sit there. In fact, a local chef here in the San Francisco Bay Area just released his own presses. They're stackable so you can adjust the weight for the cut of meat. It's especially good for pork chops of any cut, perfectly browned meat from side to side.

It's not so much that you're handling the meat and melting the fat when you press your patty, it's the fact that you're condensing it and removing the fluffy air that the grinder put in. Patties don't take so long to form that you actually melt anything that much. Julia Child talked about this a few times in the past, that's where I'm getting this information from.

If you're really in to the patty making, you do actually need to get your own grinder and try doing a tri-tip beef roast or a London Broil. Grind in to it either bacon and/or fresh chile peppers. A tri-tip beef burger with jalapenos and bacon will leave your crew begging for more. Oh yes!

Biggles
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hamburger Recipes & Tips? Reply with quote

thedoubtingt wrote:

Found it! Chef Bruce Hill is the one I'm remembering with the presses for the meat. Here:

http://bunrab.com/dailyfeed/2009September/dailyfeed_september-09_p2.html

Am friends with the authors of this blog and they're far more solid than most with the information.

Cheers
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, but cooking under a weight is different than smashing the thing half way through and making the juice run out.
michle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi to all, The recipe of huma burger is really goods and tips about it also work well. here i also add some Burger Recipes for you people and hope you like it.

Stuffed Jalapeno Burgers

Timings
Preparation Time:15 min(s)
Cooking Time:12 min(s)
Total Time:27 min(s)
This recipe can be serve by Four Persons

Ingredients

1. 1 lb beef ground
2. 1 small onion diced
3. 1 Tbsp cream
4. 1 clove garlic crushed
5. 1/2 tsp salt
6. 1/2 tsp pepper
7. 4 tsp salsa
8. 4 tsp japlapeno slices, chopped
9. 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Method

1. Mix ground beef, onion, cream, garlic, salt and pepper; form 8 thin patties.
2. Top 4 patties with 1 tsp. salsa, 1 tsp. jalapeno and 2 Tbsp. cheese.
3. Top with remaining 4 patties; press edges to seal in toppings.
4. Grill over medium coals 12 minutes, turning once after 7 minutes.
danicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was a pretty interesting you got one there. great post. Smile
SpencerB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Hamburgers Reply with quote

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
2 serrano chiles, seeded and minced
3 canned chipotle chiles, minced
pinch of salt

4 hamburger buns
This is one of my favorite Hamburger Recipes (yeah I have a lot of them...) Plus it's fairly easy (most things come prepared in a can) The only thing is you have to be careful when multiplying it up. (It serves only four) or you end up making the same recipes over and over again.
michle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky Burgers

Timings
Preparation Time:10 min(s)
Cooking Time:20 min(s)
Total Time:30 min(s)
This recipe can be serve by Four Persons

Ingredients

1. 1 lb. beef extra lean ground,formed into 4 patties
2. 8 rye bread slices
3. 4 lettuce leaves
4. 4 sharp cheddar cheese slices
5. 4 green apple slices, sauteed
6. 4 red apple slices, sauteed
7. 12 almonds sliced , toasted
8. 1/2 cup hot-sweet mustard
9. 1 Tbsp. prepared horseradish

Method

1. Grill or pan fry ground beef patties until no longer pink and the juices run clear.
2. Combine mustard and horseradish to make spread.
3. Toast bread slices. Spread 2 tsp. of spread on four bread slices. Top with a lettuce leaf, a beef patty, a slice of cheese, 3/4-ounce red and 3/4-ounce green apple slices and 2 tsp. almonds.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
ah, but cooking under a weight is different than smashing the thing half way through and making the juice run out.

I agree completely. If you cook the burger with the press on it from the start, you won't squeeze out any fat or flavor, you'll just be keeping the nice flat round shape and the entire patty in contact with the heat. Squeezing it after it is half cooked will render the fat out onto the coals.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michle, your burgers look absolutely delicious--great presentation. . . . . SHOWOFF! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

. . . and is that exactly 12 almonds?
Auspicious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ground beef
pepper

grill

Everything else is for toppings.
robertras

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
Michle, your burgers look absolutely delicious--great presentation. . . . . SHOWOFF! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

. . . and is that exactly 12 almonds?

I have to agree with you on that one. Those looked very very good. And, whenever I do burgers for game nights, if they're somewhat small, I use the hamburger recipes here for BBQ mushroom burgers, they are delicious.
anniewhite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered Bison burgers? They are sooo very good. Bison is excellent all around, it's much better for you than beef & has 3 times the omega 3s that salmon does. Other good point, it doesn't matter how much you cook it or not as compared to beef, and actually the rawer they are the better.

I used to grill Bison burgers when I lived in Texas, we would add this pepper jelly a friends mom made. I can't explain how delicious this combination was but dang if I'm not going to cook a trip back to Austin soon thinking about them. Yum!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum