Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hot&sour = pepper &vinegar?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: hot&sour = pepper &vinegar? Reply with quote

i seek factual evidence that any of the dozen or so things that get thrown into a vegetarian version of suan latang ("hot and sour soup").... have enough flavorstrength to make themselves noticeable in the taste/aroma dominance of pepper&vinegar.

i did mention ==factual evidence==. We are engineers here.
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Most of them aren't there for the flavor... Reply with quote

Hot and Sour soup (vegetarian or not) isn't all about just the flavor, it's about the sensations as well. For instance, bamboo shoots aren't about the flavor, they're pretty mild in any dish -- they're about the crunchiness they provide to the soup. Likewise, the tofu is about the texture as well, and not the flavor since it doesn't add much to the party.

There are a couple of ingredients that are about flavor, but things that you'd taste in addition to the pepper and vinegar. Wood ears or other mushrooms are there to provide an umami component to the dish, especially in the vegetarian version. Soy sauce is there for both umami and saltiness. Even through the heat of the pepper and sourness of the vinegar, you'll taste the saltiness, or miss it -- same for the umami -- these all work on different taste buds, and even if your sour receptors are activated, and your pain receptors are locked in, you'll still get, or miss, the other components.
Hanson

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually pepper and vinegar are good for North Carolina barbecue. Most people use apple vinegar and hot peppers (usually dried flakes) to make a sauce for pulled pork. It's actually quite good and definitely unique and different from most barbecues that use tomato based sauces and marinades. I just wish I could find it in grocery stores or find some coupons for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum