Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: African Horned Melon or Kiwano
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimboJam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Cup O' Tea Reply with quote

I got some of this a couple of days ago while at a grocery store. I saw it, and the label said" Kiwano fruit imported from New Zealand". I was intrigued and brought it home. My evil sister cut it in half almost immediately after I brought it home and I got half. The fleshy part of the fruit had seeds inside it(Each seed was surrounded by eatable looking stuff) , so it was hard to use for juice. I tried straining it and the seeds went through the strainer over time. I usually just put water soaked in the fruit in my tea, and later cleaned the rind out, froze it and used it as a festive cup of tea. The rind was Orange( one of my fave colors) but I probably won't buy it again unless I can get it local.
Martina

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Kiwano Reply with quote

I grow them in my greenhouse.
Yesterday my dog run in and stole one still green kiwano off the bush and ate it all...
So I pulled the few biggest to try them. Sure it must have something to it when even the dog likes it?!
I tasted a bit of the unripe thing. I tastes like a cucumber with a drop of lemon on it... and as i thought of it as of a cucumber when i planted it, i was quite happy about the taste.
So today, i'm looking around searching what to do with them - should i use it as an ordinary cucumber for salad or as gherkin and pickle it or prepare it somehow different - and i feel very confused.
I read on at least one occasion to avoid eating them unripe but in most cases the unripe state is not mentioned or where it is, they say to let it ripen the possibility of consumption in that state not considered...

Does somebody _know_ if it is edible unripe / WHY should you not eat them unripe?
lilbitsuny

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: kiwana-horned fruit Reply with quote

hello, My dad gave me some seeds and I knew that it was a vine. It has taken over about a 12 foot section of fence about 4 foot tall. It is a very pretty vine with yellow flowers and as of now 9-28-09 in tennessee I have about 40 to 50 fruits on it. I cut one open yesterday that was a dark yellow and it was pretty good. It did have a taste between cukes, lemon, and maybe a hint of kiwi. I will try some with sugar. I have read that the fruit is better when it is orange. I will have to try that and let you know. It goes from a dark green to orange then yellow. You don't ever know til you try Right?
Victoria

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Cool Fruit Reply with quote

I am 13 years old and I really like buying weird fruits at th grocery store. I just got one today but I didn't cut it open yet (I'm waiting to see if it ripens) Anyway over the summer my family went to New York and my sisters and I LOVE China Town. There is some really cool fruits there. So anyway I really like trying new fruits so if anybody has any suggestions I'm open. Oh by the way, what is the easiest way to get the seeds out of a Pomagrante? Thanks Smile
lisa48317

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: good info! Reply with quote

I just bought one of these last night - just to try something unusual. The sign said the flavor was banana / cucumber / lemon. My 12 year old daughter was both intrigued and disgusted by how it looked ("eeew the inside looks like snot!!") but she was right there with a spoon as soon as I cut it open.
I had to google exactly how to eat it and it even said you could eat the peel with salt or sugar and was a good source of fiber & Vitamin A. I'll take their word on that!
I scooped the insides out with the intention of mixing with yogurt at lunch today. I haven't had it yet, but I succeeded in grossing out many people in the office with it - LOL!
Sooo, it was interesting as a one time thing, but I doubt I'll be buying any more - unless to use as a decoration.
Helen

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: African horned melon Reply with quote

I just ate my first one of these and I will definitely buy them again. As soon as I split it open (lengthwise) I thought of a pomegranate. The horned melon has more payoff, though, because the seeds in their little jelly sacs squirt easily out of the fruit fibers, which are not as woody or bitter as the flesh of a pomegranate.

There seems to be a wide variety of interpretations of the taste on this website. I did find mine to be cool and refreshing (at room temperature) and the flavor seemed to me like a cross between kiwi fruit and pomegranate, with a hint of cucumber. Also perhaps a suggestion of lime.

I thought it was delicious, easy and quick to eat, and a perfect snack for a warm spring or summer evening after a walk. Smile
Jeanette

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: kiwanos Reply with quote

For ages I have been trying to find out what the thing is that is growing rampant among my fruit trees, strangling them. Strange fruit which I gallently tasted a small amount of (in case it was poisonous ) and found it was similar to cucumber. My comment is that this vine is so hard to get rid of and anyone trying to remove it should wear extra thick gloves.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parrot LOVES them. Its a shame they cost so much, personally I think they are an aquired taste, not bad but weird.
marni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Kiwano melon Reply with quote

There just weird. I found these melons several years ago and loved them, I buy them whenever I can find them, they cost about $4-$5 dollars. They really aren't bad, most people have a problem with all the seeds, the taste and texture is similar to jello, each seed is in it's own pouch, think of it like you're eating a sunflower seed only your going to do the opposite, when you eat them you scoop out the fruit and you can eat the seed or squeeze them out with your teeth.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Ouch Reply with quote

My dad and I were in publix a few years ago and, as he was single at the time, we tried new things for dinner all the time. We saw this funky fruit and picked it up, but decided not to get it. As we continued walking around the store we began to notice that out hands felt weird when we touched things. we then noticed that there were little hair-like spine things covering our hands where we touched the fruit. it wasn't particularly painful just unusually unpleasant. this couldve been because we live in Alabama and don't get good fruit but just a warning to everyone: wipe it off with a damp paper towel before you start messing with it just in case![/b][/i]
fruity

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: YUM! Reply with quote

Just bought 2 of these this weekend...$2.49 each, not bad. Tried one this morning & it tasted a little like a banana with a hint on honeydew melon. It was so good!! I will definitely buy more of these.
hbrock1998

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i have the same feeling about the kiwano. To me it has a taste like under ripe banana and the consitancy of a star fruit. It also smells like freshly cut grass. Me and my family will always go to the store and pick 1 exotic fruit to try when we go grocery shopping. The 1 fruit you really need to try is the star fruit. It has a very small hint of grapes and a little bit of pear. Surprizingly i like the taste very much.
kriketykatnip

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: kiwano fruit Reply with quote

personally i like the fruit and everything about it but my family didnt like the slimy feel so i just turned it into lemonade sort of strain the seeds out and add sugar and water or in my case lemon juice to accentuate the lemon flavor kiwi juice cucumber juice or water and pureed banana with milk all yummy and better than water. im gunna grow them in my garden this year. i think theyll sell well if i process it into a juice. the slimy texture is what throws most people off in my experience. my husband absolutly adored it after i made it into a juice. Smile try it if you dont like them fresh.
Perpetual

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Horn Melon Reply with quote

Was given the fruit from a local market did know what to do with it, threw it in the garden and when the rains came was surprised at what I saw, now wondering the commercial and healty benefits from the fruit
Dragontreasures

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: We grow Jelly Melon in Missouri Reply with quote

We grew these for the first time this year and in their green state they make a wonderful cucumber with no bitterness or burping. In their ripe state the flavors vary with how ripe they are. I do not find them bitter but rather sour as in eating a lime with a hint of banana.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: