Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oven baked or roasted pork ribs w bbq sauce

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: oven baked or roasted pork ribs w bbq sauce Reply with quote

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:52 pm Post subject: I hate my ribs! (btw, where are they))))) oven bbq pork ribs
Recipes for oven baked or roasted bbq pork ribs are all over the place. Mine always come out disappointing. I've got some pork spare ribs marinating now in bbq sauce, but what next? I usually try long and slow, 200 is fine by me, but brown first? Covered casserole? Sealed in foil? Open roasting pan? Open foil at last 1/2 hour? Temps recommended go from 185 to 400! Sitting in a pond of sauce or lightly basted? Help!
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: oven baked or roasted pork ribs w bbq sauce Reply with quote

pbone wrote:
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:52 pm Post subject: I hate my ribs! (btw, where are they))))) oven bbq pork ribs
Recipes for oven baked or roasted bbq pork ribs are all over the place. Mine always come out disappointing. I've got some pork spare ribs marinating now in bbq sauce, but what next? I usually try long and slow, 200 is fine by me, but brown first? Covered casserole? Sealed in foil? Open roasting pan? Open foil at last 1/2 hour? Temps recommended go from 185 to 400! Sitting in a pond of sauce or lightly basted? Help!

Hey buddy! I posted a recipe no too terribly long ago on just the subject:

http://www.cyberbilly.com/meathenge/archives/000977.html

Just lay your ribs down on a cookie sheet or low walled roaster, you want the heat to be able to get in and brown the ribs a little. High sides block the direct heat, covering them will cause them to steam and you don't want that.

325 oven until they come to an internal temp of 190 to 200. Probably about 1.5 to 2 hours. Cooking them at lower temperatures in your home oven isn't going to do anything much, no smoke.

Slice fresh lemons over the top of the ribs, the citrus brings your pre-sauced ribs to life and adds that extra touch you're looking for. It's pork, they'll come out great.

Biggles
pbone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr B! You are such a genius. Thanks so much. I feel we are kindred, meat-loving spirits. I tried again before getting your reply, and here's some conclusions...well, as usual, mine were barely edible. FIRST: "Country style" ribs are not much like ribs. So in future, I'll pop for the real thing. 2. I marinated these country styles for 24 hrs in a not too bad homemade sauce with a load of ginger. Fair flavor. 3 I put them, fairly drenched in sauce, in a package of foil and popped 'em in a preheated 200 oven, all sealed up.
After 2 and a half hours, I opened the foil and transferred everything to a low sided sheet and left them for another hour at 200. The result was, as always, disappointing. They were pinkly unappetising, reasonably tender, not too dry, but not great in that department (undercooked?) flavorful, but the sauce went thin and wan. I am only posting this as an example of the wrong way to go about buying ribs and also the wrong way of cooking them. ))))) Thanks again for yours. I will try it soon. xo.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbone wrote:
Dr B! You are such a genius. Thanks so much. I feel we are kindred, meat-loving spirits. I tried again before getting your reply, and here's some conclusions...well, as usual, mine were barely edible. FIRST: "Country style" ribs are not much like ribs. So in future, I'll pop for the real thing. 2. I marinated these country styles for 24 hrs in a not too bad homemade sauce with a load of ginger. Fair flavor. 3 I put them, fairly drenched in sauce, in a package of foil and popped 'em in a preheated 200 oven, all sealed up.
After 2 and a half hours, I opened the foil and transferred everything to a low sided sheet and left them for another hour at 200. The result was, as always, disappointing. They were pinkly unappetising, reasonably tender, not too dry, but not great in that department (undercooked?) flavorful, but the sauce went thin and wan. I am only posting this as an example of the wrong way to go about buying ribs and also the wrong way of cooking them. ))))) Thanks again for yours. I will try it soon. xo.

Oh, yeah, no. Don't do that. Country Style Pork Ribs are pretty much sliced pork butt, closer to the loin. That being said, if you use the recipe I sent you to, you can do the same thing to the country style and get excellent results.

Use a dry/wet rub, jack the heat a little, use a low edged roaster or cookie sheet. When you're not smoking or grilling, you need that extra 100 degrees to give you that "browning" of the meat. Use citrus to add an extra dimension to the flavor, you're not getting it from real fire and need that. And, once again, pull when 190.

Don't wrap in foil for the oven, that's a trick used in grilling or smoking to bring the meat up to temp. You have the knob on your oven to do that.

Remember, this is easy. It's fat filled lovely pork. If you get the basics down, you can begin to stick and move with flavors. It is different from grilling and real barbecue, but it can still be a wonderful meal.

Biggles

ps - Regarding the country style apare, you need to open them up. Each time I need to slice them wide, just hanging on near the bone. This way the flavors you add, the heat and/or smoke can get in there. Larger surface area, more everything that is good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum