Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: Surprises In Snacks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, have found sprouted seeds in a tomato. It was a red tomato, and it was last fall (not too far from when yours was!). There were only 2 or 3 sprouted. I ate it anyway. I lived. So far. I just found your site, and am systematically reading all of it (and procrastinating doing some work). Keep it up!
-sw

Have you checked to see what Monsanto and GM are doing with food? It is scary.

A friend of mine found a needle in her tastycake. She pulled it out and we managed to convince her to continue eating. "What are the odds there will be two needles in one tastycake?" Of course there was another one and she too got free coupons as compensation.

Nice friends.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: DON'T EAT TOMATO SPROUTS Reply with quote

Tomato plants are a night shade. I read on another site that the sprouts, leaves and green fruit are toxic. So you don't want to eat the sprouts. It also said that bell peppers are supposed to be red and yellow, green bell peppers are not ripe and have the toxin also.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bull feathers.

go look up "poison control center" and ask them about tomato, tomato anything.

peppers, see same

potatoes, the green stuff under the skin of potatoes (solanine) comes from exposure to light. some folks are sensitive to it; most are not.

and just in the last few months, not one but TWO young and otherwise healthy females died from drinking water.

now, based on the science presented by the National Enquirer, how you gonna live without consuming water?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: tomatoes sprouting seeds inside Reply with quote

Another lady told me that she had this happen. Her tomatoes were stored at room temperature and in a green bag. I was wondering if it might have something to do with the green bag causing that coating on the seeds to break down. Just a thought. I'm curious as to how many had this happen to tomatoes that were stored in a green bag. Anybody ?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"green bags" - by many names - supposed to retard spoilage...

the primary mechanism is the absorption of ethylene gas. ethylene gas is what makes fruits ripen.

so,,,,,,, if the ethylene is made to not be effective, and you keep the fruit "unspoiled looking" for a few dozen weeks, lotta things can happen inside a tomato.

I am extremely amused at the folks who rave about keeping their fresh vegetables for weeks in "green bags."

now, keep in mind, these are often the same folks who will not use a nasty chemically coated Teflon pan because some mysterious unidentified compound they heard about on the 2 AM shopping channel where "they" said "it's bad for you."

but they have no problem with putting their food in direct contact with magic pixie dust (bat guano and ground minerals from caves in south america, somewhere, and not at a fair trade price either, I suspect, just to take care of the raving econo-loonies along with the ecolog-loonies....)

whatever "stuff" is on/in the green bags is not revealed/disclosed, nor does not last forever; it absorbs some amount of ethylene gas and then it's shot - throw it away. at the price of those bags / containers, some simple math will prove very instructive as to how many pounds of vegetables you can buy and throw away when the excess spoils vs the cost of keeping it forever (not) in a green bag.
schroeem

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Costco Sprouts Reply with quote

I just bought a pack of Roma tomatoes from Costco (I think there were 8-12 in the pack). Every single one of them was either sprouting or in the early stages of sprouting. i have seen this once or twice before, but not in such large quantity. It's kind of weird. I am wondering about the comment the man from Ann Arbor made about cooling the tomatoes and then them rewarming. I am wondering if they might be chilled too much in the travel process and then warm up again too fast in the store where they are being sold? I mean, that seems to be the only scientific evidence that someone has given. Sure Monsanto and etc are doing wacky stuff, but surely this has to happen in nature for a species to reproduce and survive. So maybe it is more environmental than due to GMO's? Maybe certain varieties are more sensitive than others? Does anyone know anymore scientific evidence vs. hearsay?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - we've had another sprouter last month (here in Texas). That was a "normal" supermarket tomato (vs. the one in the original article that was an organically grown heirloom variety).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Viviparous mutants! Reply with quote

I read this link about viviparous mutants (http://www.thisgardenisillegal.com/2010/04/viviparous-mutants-and-other-things-i-find-living-in-my-pantry.html) a while ago and hunted it down again for you after reading this post. Academic citations provided! Hope this satisfies some curiosity. Love the site!
harris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: in my dorritos Reply with quote

I found a tiny little thigh bone with raw flesh, it was wet in my mouth and felt slimey so I scraped the the slimey bit off to see what it was and it was a little bone Shock
BGrubb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Black object in my Doritos- ugh Reply with quote

I found a black raisin lookin object in my small Doritos bag. Hope it wasn't anything that will make me sick! Sad
anon. frito employee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: seasoning accum Reply with quote

Well, yes, there is a plan in place to deal with seasoning accum.

There are also large-scale strategies to minimize it (about 4 people on any given shift are responsible for locating and removing seasoning accum. from the machinery) - but with 15,000,000 bags per week at our plant alone, a few are bound to get through.

It's kind of like winning the lottery.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting . i am new here and want to learn more from you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: