Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

heat retentive plates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Engineer Speak
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is this good engineering?
no
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
yes
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
very good
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

jjrb230

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: heat retentive plates Reply with quote

have you heard about "heat retentiveplates" that you preheat in a microwave oven for just one minute and stay hot (still hot after) for 1/2 hour or more?
The working principle is related to black body radiation and the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

http://www.heatstoragedish.com
http://www.heatretentiveplates.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually quite interesting. A quick way to warm plates that doesn't require warming up the oven or dishwasher's heating elements... Heating plates is a necessity when serving up prime rib or other foods that need to stay warm to be consumed at it's best taste.

So, what happens when you overheat them (let's save microwave for 2 minutes? 5 min? 10 min?) It's absorbing energy and getting hot, so this could be potentially unsafe, right? In my mind, the plate is essentially a "not microwave safe" dish because it is absorbing energy at a relatively high rate...
jjrb230

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: HEAT RETENTIVE PLATES Reply with quote

I designed the plates to be preheated in just one minute and they absorb enough energy (About 1200 Watts-minutes) which is enough since the heat is released gradually. I have been using the prototypes for about two years. You need to learn how to use them.
What happens if you leave a hot Iron on a shirt for 5 minutes? It will burn. Does that mean the shirt is inadequate?... or the Iron is no safe?
When the microwaveovens started selling, people had to learn a new set of rules.
In this case the rule is very simple:
Preheat just one minute (With 1:15 minutes the plate remains hot for 45 minutes), you do not need that.
Juan
(I invented them)

http://www.heatretentiveplates.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jjrb230

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: HEAT RETENTIVE PLATES Reply with quote

The plates are finally on the market; they stay hot for 30 min. plus , require just one minute preheating in the microwave oven and they are safe, can be handled with the bare hands by the rim which remains cool. for anybody that likes cooking they are the final touch to any good recipe.
I will never go back to cold plates anymore
jjrb230

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: HEAT RETENTIVE PLATES Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
This is actually quite interesting. A quick way to warm plates that doesn't require warming up the oven or dishwasher's heating elements... Heating plates is a necessity when serving up prime rib or other foods that need to stay warm to be consumed at it's best taste.

So, what happens when you overheat them (let's save microwave for 2 minutes? 5 min? 10 min?) It's absorbing energy and getting hot, so this could be potentially unsafe, right? In my mind, the plate is essentially a "not microwave safe" dish because it is absorbing energy at a relatively high rate...

I do not accept that they are not safe; are irons unsafe because if you leave them on top of your shirt for 10 minutes they will burn it?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, of course not. But what happens when you microwave for longer than a couple minutes? Is there a chance of cracking, exploding, catching on fire, etc.? There's a reason why many types of glass are considered not microwave-safe and it doesn't have to do with whether or not it gets hot - it's about how FAST it gets hot/absorbs the energy. If someone takes a potato, slaps it on your plate, covers and microwaves for six minutes what happens? You need to provide this information as well...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:

What happens if you leave an iron on a shirt and gets burned? Is the iron unsafe? Should shirts be made out of asbestos? I have been using HotSmart Plates for years without any problem. And yes, they are great for prime rib.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Engineer Speak All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum