Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Oven Baked Chicken and Rice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a screaming liberal and this chicken dish is tasty. I had mine with broccoli in it. Anger is more unhealthy than sodium.

PS. Please don't refer to this low-sodium ranter as a liberal or left-winger too.

Here is the dictionary definition of a liberal. There is little mention of food choice.

Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
Liberal Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.

i can't believe that people get this worked up about a recipe. find something constructive to complain about.

its a easy recipe, pretty tasty too, but i think the chicken needs something extra...
I have a question, why the need to fry rice? seems like its not necessary

thanks for the recipe!
more important, now i can alter and reverse engineer it hehe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an analytically minded person I'd find it more helpful if...

1 The Recipe Card were posted at the beginning of the post.
2 When ingredients are listed that they be bulleted.
3 Exact measurements were listed the first time any ingredient is mentioned in the text.
4 The recipe itself were broken in to clearly labeled steps.
5 Cooking specific terminology be a hyperlink or mouseover to a definition of the term.

Additionally, I've noticed some display issues with the site in different browsers and at different resolutions. To a software engineer, these simple flaws can be very distracting as you then immediately start pondering hy they're happening and what fixes could be implemented.

Please take these suggestions with whatever amount of salt you want.

PS
I find that happy eating and healthy eating can compromise for the best quality of life. I also don’t mix politics and food, like I don’t eat where I crap. Finally, changing the world through the internet is… it can’t happen. There’s nothing clever about it, it won’t work. It’s the 5th law, unbending and static, “no world change through the internet.”
Josie

I got to this page through a google search for Chicken and Rice...I got what I came for and appreciate that I was able to Smile
As far as i know....food is food and sometimes it's comfort.eating this Chicken and rice a few times a year wont kill me any faster than playing in traffic.

Y'know, I bet starving kids in Nigeria would love to have that sodium-laden stuff, regardless of whether or not it killed them in the long run.

If I may make a note, this whole debate will lead to nobody changing their minds, everybody getting their hackles raised, a bunch of words best left unsaid and a number of blood pressures raised. Hell, this conversation may as well be as unhealthy as whatever you eat.

So, that being said, it doesn't MATTER how unhealthy you eat. You're going to die anyway. Now, later, in fifty years, in fifty seconds. Non-smokers get lung cancer. Do I promote smoking? No. Nasty-smelling habit, that. But I don't tell them they're idiots. They choose to die that way.

If I take the bus home tomorrow and die in a wreck, the Big Macs didn't effin' matter. Choose what you wish, eat what you like, live how you want, and die how you will. Ultimately, it ends the same regardless. I hate to be a downer, but the endless quibbling over something this trivial when it's not going to make a damn bit of difference either way. Go do something you LIKE instead of arguing about it.

If you like the recipe, use it. Don't if you don't. That simple. (No wonder the Buddist monks live for-bloody-ever. They don't STRESS about the small s***.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I was feeling a little frazzled and felt the need for some comfort food and this chicken and rice bake sounded like just the ticket. Of course, I had to tweak the recipe and method a little to accomodate the food I had on hand. No chicken thighs or drumsticks, but I did have 4 boneless, skinless breasts in the freezer.

No zucchini in the house, but poking in the freezer turned up 1/2 a bag of frozen sugar snap peas. Hmmm, what goes with peas ? Into the fridge for a couple of carrots which I cut on the bias about 1/4 inch thick. While in the fridge I noticed some leftovers - a cup of sauteed crimini mushrooms and a cup of lima beans (Lima beans are the only legume I don't really care for, but I figured I could hide them in this recipe).

Rice. I had brown, jasmine, sushi, and red japonica. I opted for the brown. Of course, brown rice takes longer to cook and more water than white rice, so I bumped the water up to 3 cups.

I pretty much followed Michael's method: sauteed the rice in butter, added the onion and garlic and then the other veggies a couple of minutes later. I sauteed this until the carrots started to soften. I diluted the canned soup with 3 cups of water then added a little thyme and sage and poured the soup mixture over the rice mixture.

Because I was using chicken breasts and brown rice instead of thighs and white rice, I was pretty sure the chicken would be done before the rice. I thought about give the rice a headstart on the stove top before adding the chicken but really couldn't decide how much of a headstart would be needed. 10 mins ? 15 ? 25 ?

So, I took the opposite approach. I inserted the probe from my Polter thermometer into the largest breast and pushed the breasts down into the rice mixture. Topped with a little garlic powder and paprika. I set the temp alarm to 160F and popped the pan into a preheated 375F oven.

After about 35 mins the alarm went off. As I had suspected, the chicken was done but the rice was still crunchy so I removed the breasts to a plate and tented them with foil while I returned the pan to oven to complete cooking the rice. After another 35 minutes, the rice was tender. I put the breasts back into the rice to reheat while the dish rested for 5 minutes. Very enjoyable and just what my body needed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous # 1: Eating less and leading an active lifestyle is healthier than throwing out the fat binders and chicken skin....in other words, quit yer belly-aching; sanctimony is hard on the heart. Rather than rationing out the ounce of chocolate, concentrate on eating well and playing hard. Those of us who get off our butts have little to fear from a can of soup.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yummy. I'm off to make this right now but i'll be using 2 cans of soup Teasing

Thanks for the recipe and remember what mama said, "You can't please

everyone" ( and why would you want too...)
exoteric

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: christ Reply with quote

i've read only half of these posts, but there seems to be a repeated theme:

those into their convenience food and good ol' american ways are taking a LOT of offense at an issue they claim should not be an issue at all. if it's such a silly debate, then why are your feathers getting so ruffled? apparently how one judges your eating habits does indeed have an effect on you.

campbells soups are indeed disgusting, and are hardly "nutritious" as marketing would have you blindly believe. have you ever looked at the ingredients? most of them contain Monosodium Glutamate (yuk), and a host of other scary ingredients, such as Partially Hydrogenated [insert rancid refined oil of your choice here].

but it's not just campbells soups, it's most anything with a substantial shelf life. if it can sit on a shelf for years and not rot, then something is sketchy. it's not exactly FOOD. it's chemicals. and yet - packaging and television bombards you with the lies that that box of chicken helper is oh-so nutritious.

and why do they bombard you? because they have to - continuously. if they stop, then one day you might actually start to think about what you're purchasing, and you might actually read the ingredients, and hell, you might actually go research them and start to read up on what you're eating, and HEAVEN FORBID maybe even develop your own opinions about what you're eating.

but, but... there's the FDA's food guide pyramid, and even doctors who say eating boxed shit and canned globs is fine, just as long as i take a laboratory extracted multi-vitamin (because it's no longer even necessary to get vitamins and minerals from their actual sources - fresh, whole FOOD).

it couldn't be that the FDA is a captalist organization whose allegiance serves to protect the interest of the corporations, NOT the consumer. if the FDA actually told you what is healthy and nutritious and what you should be eating to live a long, cancer-and-disease-free healthy life, then you would stop buying the products that litter 95% of the shelves in grocery stores, and so would Joe Blow, and his neighbor, and his neighbor, and their families and neighbors and so on and so forth. and soon those corporations would lose money and many of them would have to shut down, some of them might even have to cut into their profits to start producing better foods with higher quality ingredients, and this capitalist society would start to fall flat on its face. less people would get cancer, so the medical institution would start to lose money on kemo treatments and such. less people would develop heart problems, cholesterol problems, strokes, etc. less surgeries being performed, less PHARMACEUTICALS BEING SOLD, even less doctor visits all around.

this country would have to become a land of organic farmers to accomodate the skyrocketing demand from its people for actual WHOLE foods, which doesn't turn the mind-boggling profits that producing refined shit does (genetically-modified foods combined with large proportions of chemicals, preservatives, etc, in a hasty and careless manner = cheaper products = stupid profits).

but wait - there is an increased demand for organic foods. there are organic markets popping up everywhere, and i've noticed even my regular grocery store is selling foods labelled "organic." so our standards are indeed raising, and capitalism is evolving to keep up with it. right?

RIGHT.

that's why the FDA (your trusted buddy, remember?) has lowered the standards on what constitutes organic food, so that the same old companies that produce crap can now alter their image and actually legally put the word "Organic" on their products - and charge twice or three times as much, because we'll pay that to think we're eating healthy. currently, a farmer can use non-organic compost and whatever else shit they want to grow your "organic" food in, and still slap the label on the container - and you'll pay more for it. and this year, the FDA was trying to lower those standards even more, so that genetically-modified foods, and even foods bathed in pesticides could still legally qualify for the sought-after "organic" label. not to mention, a chicken that is allowed only FIVE TO TEN MINUTES A DAY outside of its coop (which is so small they can't even move around in) can legally be labelled as "free range" - the chicken, and its eggs. 5-10 minutes a DAY - and then it's back to sitting immobile for 23 hours and 50 minutes. (chickens and eggs labelled "free range" are about twice as expensive as their "inferior" competitors.)

IT'S ALL ABOUT SUPPORT THE CORPORATIONS SO THEY CAN GET THE HIGHEST DOLLAR FROM YOU. THE FDA COULDN'T CARE LESS ABOUT PROTECTING YOU, THE CONSUMER, FROM FRAUD, AND THAT YOU'RE STILL GOING TO DIE YOUNG FROM CANCER, ONLY NOW YOU'RE SPENDING MORE MONEY ON YOUR FOOD THAN EVER FOR IT, WHILE DECEIVING YOU INTO THINKING YOU'RE LIVING THIS HEALTHY LIFESTYLE. THE FDA IS A CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION, CONTINUOUSLY RESEARCHING HOW TO FRAUD THE AMERICAN PUBLIC WITHOUT YOU EVER FINDING OUT.

and how, oh HOW, do they get away with this, year after year? they get away with it by joining hands with commercial America and BLARING DISINFORMATION AND LIES AND WHATEVER ELSE THEY CAN DO TO DISTRACT YOU ON THE TUBE AND RADIO AND BILLBOARDS AND POSTERS AND CLEVER PACKAGING AND ADS IN MAGAZINES AND POP-UP SCREENS AND EVEN DOCTORS AND PHARMACISTS TO MAKE SURE THE NOISE NEVER EVER STOPS so that you don't ever stop to even consider doing a little research for yourself and finding out the truth.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be ok if I make my own cream o' mushroom soup?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: I actually made this!!! Reply with quote

Thanks OP, simple recipe, and it was quite good. I used store brand cream of mushroom though since it had less calories/fat than campbells, the only gripe i have is that it says it serves 6 people. While the chicken does serve size, I find that - maybe because I'm asian, that the rice portion should be a bit higher than just one cup. But aside that, it was pretty good, I definitely would put a bit more add ins included green onions, MORE GARLIC!, tiny bit of lemon pepper, etc.

Also, for all the people that are arguing in this thread- first off, I really do think its dumb. So Cambells isn't healthy, well guess what? Unless you're living a total HEALTHY diet which includes no softdrinks, sodas, processed foods, canned foods, etc... almost nothing is really healthy anymore unless your going to use fresh ingredients all the time. Just moderate yourself, and you'll be fine.

And to the first commentor- seriously, get a life. This guy took his time and effort to make a webpage and provide people tips, recipes and information, and you have to go and call it a "dumbass page."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Great website - just discovered it.

Chicken with rice! Great stuff! Me mudder used to make it all the time...can't wait to try this recipe...

Incidentally, for those concerned about sodium, fat, hypertension, high blood sugar, low blood sugar, gonococcylcardiovascularsyphillitic conjunctivitus, etc. etc. etc., I hate to tell you this but you've been dying since the day you were born. NOONE is gonna get outta here alive....!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! If you live your life in fear and without being able to enjoy something as simple as chicken fat, white rice, and salt, you really aren't living! And like the last quote, we are all going to die, a few mildly poor health choices aren't really going to do much for the cycle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: