Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can Openers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burntfingers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Can Openers Reply with quote

I haven't seen anything on this site about can openers.
I thought I'd mention my two favorite human-powered ones.

As far as portable hand-powered openers go, I really like the
'Chef'n EZ Squeeze' can opener. Once you get it locked on the can the rest of the work is done with one hand, sorta like using scissors.
Some might be able to find a culinary store where it is stocked; the rest of us will have to order it by internet. I like the little magnet on the end of one of the handles that allows one to remove the severed lid without any mess/bloodshed. Good design.

My other favorite human powered can opener is just a general design - the ones that restaurants have, the ones that are either built into the work table or are bolted onto the table's side. They obey gravity and drop out of sight when not being used. They generally have a large crank handle that imparts great leverage and ease of operation.

I prefer these two designs over electric openers because they work no matter what, and I like saving energy. Bonn appetit! Smile
ktexp2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a really awesome one, I don't remember the manufacturer. It was one of those side cutting ones, but you applied it to the can perpendicularly then closed the handle before rotating the cutter. What made it awesome is that it had opposing teeth that you could use to pry the lid off without touching the goo that may have come out of the can while opening it (great for tuna). Wonder what happened to that thing....

I prefer manual openers because I feel like electric ones leave jagged edges. They always seem to have a jerky motion.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the "side openers" -

my prior favorite - typical puncture the top, cut around the circumference - was a type with a big diameter handwheel. eventually they all goop up and washing them is (a) a pain and (b) produces rust which eventually makes them less than attractive from a sanitary point.

and the cheap models wear to the point the gears do not mesh nicely and then you've really got a chore.

I've got the OXO side splitter model - way more expensive than it appears to be 'worth' but it does do a splendid job. same "grabber jaws" as described to lift off the lid.

the side openers appear - as far as I can tell - to not cut any metal. can lids are "crimped" on to make a tight seal - the side openers pull the side wall out of the lid crimped zone. the lids do not just "fall off" at that point, you do need to grab the crimped chine and pull them off. not much effort, but the first time I used it I said "huh? now what?" then I figured out you need to grab the lid edge and pull it off.
dsbernhardt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Amco Swing-A-Way Wall Can Opener Reply with quote

The Amco Swingaway wall-mounted can opener is great -- nice long handle so you don't have to work hard to open a can. Seems to stay sharp forever, too.

If you remember your grandmother having a can opener in the pantry, this might have been it: http://www.amazon.com/Amco-Swing-609WH-Magnetic-Opener/dp/B000NA47YM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1239586176&sr=8-3.
JDR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: can openers Reply with quote

I have been told, by a friend who has been in the retail grocery business for more than a quarter of a century, that modern can lids are actually glued in place, not crimped. It is my understanding that the side opening can openers actually break this seal. I tend to believe this because when I use my side opener, when you pull the lid away, you can see strands of glue breaking away from the lid and the can.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the Swingaway suggestion. I have a handheld model I bought in 1979 and it still works fine. Try to find one at a garage sale, because they used thinner metal in later years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum