Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: Cutting Boards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johngl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Make your own cutting board Reply with quote

Reading through some of these comments, I noticed that use of bleach frightened certain people and others didn't like the materials from which their cutting boards were made.

For many years, I have been using ordinary white vinegar to cleanse all ov my wooden cutting boards. Vinegar is just acidic enough to kill bacteria and it is food safe. Even Cook's Illustrated said it did great job when cleaning fruit and veggies.

As for boards, just get some unfinished hardwood (maple is nice) from your own lumber supplier and secure a couple pieces together. I picked up a couple of solid hardwood shelf boards and made a 24"x36" cutting board that cost all of about $20. It has been in near constant use for over eight years. I love the thing!
Shard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Various health concerns Reply with quote

After reading some recent info on Bisphenol A and Phthalates, I am slowly banning all plastics from the house. Originally I was going to switch to a glass cutting board, but am now considering a wooden board based on this article. However, I am coming across some information about the health effects of mineral oil as well. I believe I will stick with a regiment of vinegar and microwaving for disinfecting purposes. Please do your research and understand the health risks of any choices you make.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shard,

>>> switch to a glass cutting board,
now that is a really bad idea for your knives.

>>>>>>>> the health risks of any choices you make.
the people in California have conclusively established that _the number one_ leading cause of death is life.

so, if you just stop living, nothing will harm you, you'll never die, you'll never get sick, you'll never get cancer. what could be more simple? just do not live!

>>>>>some information about the health effects of mineral oil as well.
I can point you to nut-case web sites that'll "prove"
- using canola oil, since it comes from the mustard family, and we all know mustard gas is made from mustard, will kill you
- eat soy and DIE
- two otherwise healthy young women _died_ from drinking water

for every event, thought, idea, concept or proposal there are more internet nut cases than truth.

independent thought and common sense are a really good thing.
Howard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
Shard,

>>> switch to a glass cutting board,
now that is a really bad idea for your knives.

>>>>>>>> the health risks of any choices you make.
the people in California have conclusively established that _the number one_ leading cause of death is life.

so, if you just stop living, nothing will harm you, you'll never die, you'll never get sick, you'll never get cancer. what could be more simple? just do not live!

I agree. Why worry at all? Smile
Shard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I guess you're right. This will save me a lot of time, I can stop worrying about cross-contamination, and skip washing my cutting boards altogether.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mineral oil: it's a laxative AND a cutting board preservative!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: A few bits and pieces Reply with quote

Just adding a few cents (sense?) of my own.

This is caused by differential expansion. As a rule of thumb whatever you do to one side of a board you should do to the other. Rinse the other side of a board when you wash it. So use mineral oil on the board, but do it on both sides and ensure you treat the edges if it is a non-end-grain board.

You can also use tung oil which is a more effective sealant. Can be a problem to some people with severe nut allergies.

A common way that causes split is to store a non-end-grain board on its end when it is not dry. The end grain readily absorbs water by capillary action.

The hardness of an end grain board should not really that much effect. The advantage of an end-grain is that the knife slides between the fibres and does not dull the knife as an 'ordinary' where the knife is cutting the fibres.

A very sharp knife has a fine edge that is dulled not by the edge being worn away but by it being bent over in the process of cutting. A couple of strokes with a steel realigns the edge (honing). Eventually it does get worn out and need sharpening. That is a different process.

The tempered glass that shattered...that effect can be cause by taking glass out of a freezer and putting it under hot water. I am sure that wasn't done in this case.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: The best cutting boards I have found Reply with quote

Love the site! I actually live in the UK for now and read your recipe for limeade, in my attempt to recreate our beloved (and much missed) margaritas. Anyway, I digress.

For what it's worth, the best cutting boards I have found are the Joyce Chen Spot N Chop cutting boards. Not so much for the spot, but more for the chop! Bottom line, they are great boards with excellent performance.

I have two of each size in my kitchen - large, small, and party (party?). Regardless of the names, they are great. And I just found out that they make one called a Pastry cutting surface - looks like I'm going to be getting one of those, too. Enjoy!

You can check them out here. http://www.joycechen.com/jc/common/index.php?

Bob
mjevans

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys. If you're looking for chopping boards in the UK I can recommend these guys: Alliance Catering Supplies

Great selection and fast delivery.
danicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using bamboo chopping board. Pretty good to use on my own opinion. Did anyone use bamboo as well?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Storing my board Reply with quote

So, I just bought a 3 -1/2" thick maple end grain board. I wanted something tall to keep better posture. Bad Back. Anyway, the manufacturer's web site says that I should not store my board flat on the counter (no air flow). Really? That's a bummer. I'd like to keep it on my counter top, but now I'm worried. Anyone have any experience in this matter. Recommendations? Thanks.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, do what I did - get some little rubber bumpers/feet from the home store - the kind with real metal screws - keeps it off the counter and non-slip, too.
John

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting how many solutions people have come up with for keeping the board in place...the shelf liner makes me chuckle (though I'm sure it gets the job done). For my part, I usually put a damp paper towel under the board. They probably taught me to do that when I was a prep cook, but I don't remember. You can wipe up with the towel, so it's not like it goes to waste.
mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Epicurean Reply with quote

What about the Epicurean cutting boards? They claim to combine the best traits of wood and plastic. They say they won't dull your knives, they offer a good grip, and they are dishwasher safe. Also they are made of recycled cardboard.
I have a small Epicurean board but seldom use it due to its size (and we got it for use on the boat, not at home). My mother has a large one and she seems to like it ok.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Epicurean Reply with quote

mike wrote:
What about the Epicurean cutting boards? They claim to combine the best traits of wood and plastic. They say they won't dull your knives, they offer a good grip, and they are dishwasher safe. Also they are made of recycled cardboard.
I have a small Epicurean board but seldom use it due to its size (and we got it for use on the boat, not at home). My mother has a large one and she seems to like it ok.

In the last year, I've picked up three Epicurean boards. It does seem like the best of all worlds - feels like wood, relatively lightweight, and machine washable if need be. Also, you don't have to oil them to maintain them. They are my go to boards now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: