Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pressure Cooker on "High" - What PSI is that?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Pressure Cooker on "High" - What PSI is that? Reply with quote

I just purchased a Nesco Digital 3-in-1 Cooker (model #PC-6-25-30TPR) in time to cook Corned Beef for St. Patty's day - yummy!

This is my first Pressure Cooker and I'm excited to try some new recipes. I really like the settings (pressure, browning, steamer, keep warm and slow cook modes) digital controls, timing features, and safety of this unit (especially with 2 toddlers roaming my little kitchen) In looking at recipes, reviews and tips on the web the biggest concern/complaint about electric cookers is that some don't reach 15PSI.

How do I know what PSI mine reaches?

My Nesco PC has a high and a low setting for pressure cooking but I cannot find any reference in the manual to what PSI those are... and I haven't gotten any response from the manufacturer.

How can I find out?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Blue Pilgrim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be 10 and 15 PSI -- those have been the common pressures in the pots I've seen.
MisterC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted this on another board and got the following reply

Regarding your PC-6-25-30TPR
5 lb. PSI - Low
15 lb. PSI - High
Gerry
Customer Service
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mc -

thanks for the follow-up info. all too frequently the 'numbers' get lost in the marketing wonderful-wonderful mumbo-jumbo so it's good to see factual reply.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: mileage may vary Reply with quote

the pressure you attain depends upon what condition the gasket is in.

if you want to actually know what pressure is attained..... pressure guages are incredibly cheap.

Buy a bicycletire airvalve at a bicycle shop.

bring it, and your cooker's cover to any competent machine shop - find one in the yellow pages, or ask around at those specialty speed shops that cater to hot-rodders.

Commission them to install the valve onto the cover. You can now ===measure=== the PSI attained, with a tire-pressure guage.

We are engineers here, not poets. Let's act like it!
Blue Pilgrim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that a bicycle tire valve could handle the temperature of a pressure cooker (its rubber seal), but whatever the relief valve is set for should be fairly accurate -- if you know the specs for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum