Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: Chinese Almond Cookies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elaine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Chinese Almond Cookies Reply with quote

You can buy "Almond Meal" at Trader Joe's (on the West Coast only, unfortunately). It is just finely ground almonds (including the skin). The skin will actually add flavor, but it will affect the coloration of the finished cookie (no problem for me). Hopefully you have access to a Trader Joe's.

Crisco's new no-transfat formulation does not perform like traditional Crisco. It has ruined my formerly fabulous pie crust, and I think it would adversely affect the Almond Cookies as well. The new Crisco seems to perform more like an oil than a solid.
Elaine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Chinese Almond Cookies Almond Meal Reply with quote

I just Googled "almond meal" and found out "Bob's Red Mill" sells almond flour/meal. It's pretty expensive compared to Trader Joe's, but at least it is available.
MinkeyMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: High Altitude Chinese Almond Cookies Reply with quote

I just wanted to say that I tried your recipe today and the cookies turned out terrific!

I am at 8250 feet above sea level, so if anyone is wondering if this recipe works, it does!

I swapped light brown sugar for white and used 1/2 cup almond meal instead of grinding the almonds.

Thanks for the recipe!!
chunkie_cheese

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Almond Cookies Reply with quote

Made this, it was alright...but i'll never make it again.
kerching

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: baking for chinese new year Reply with quote

I've tried this recipe with the modifications shared by Jacq.. my mum couldn't stop complimenting it! great recipe! Thanks for sharing! I made 70+ cookies that are of smaller size to fit in my containers with smaller mouths..

My pictures:

http://thefledglingcook.wordpress.com/2010/02/02/almond-cookie/
Susan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Grinding almonds Reply with quote

I've seen other recipes where they have you grind the almonds with the sugar to get the fine grind required for some recipes. (Toasting them lightly to crisp them, then cooling them down helps, and brings up the flavor, too.) The almonds do get much finer and the sugar grinds finer too, which makes blending and disolving it into the butter easier. Shortbread and Sable cookies benefit from a creamier blending of the butter and sugar, I don't think the almonds included would hurt the mixture, since it's got it's own fat to blend in as well. In fact, it might flavor it better!
loisdd@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: lard Reply with quote Delete this post

The first chinese almond cookie recipe I had used lard. (Late 1960s) The were pretty good. I don't know if I'd like them now though
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: