Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: Eric's Chocolate Pecan Pie
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: And the Crust? Reply with quote

Please tell us about the crust. You mentioned that you usually blind-bake your crust. The crust in the photo of the chocolate pecan pie looks absolutely perfect around the edges. How was the bottom of the crust? Was it soft and doughy or nice and flaky?

If you make the pie again, what crust-modifications would you make?

Thank you. Love the site.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I baked that pie over 3 years ago... I don't recall the crust being really flaky, so I'm going to say that it was a little soft. As to modifications - I'd probably say making your own crust is preferable to the store bought ones.
Happy Pecan Pie Eater

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: My Mom made this pie twice over the Christmas holidays!! Reply with quote

Teasing Best pecan pie every - a small slice goes a long way!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this recipe with a few changes...

I used organic raw sugar instead of the brown sugar. And instead of 170g (6 ounces) of chocolate, I instead used only 100 grams. I found the sweetness to be at the proper level; however, I found there to be WAY too much chocolate, even with far less than the original recipe called for. All I can taste is the chocolate - the pecans are only noticable from their crunch. It is so decadent. Next time I would only use half the amount of chocolate as I used. Otherwise, this is a fantastic recipe.
shakenbake

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: bourbon pecan pie Reply with quote

My variation of this pie adds two steps. I roast the pecans on a cookie sheet 350 for 10 minutes. After the pecans cool, I soak them in a cup or so of bourbon overnight. After draining the pecans, make the rest of the recipe. The extra moisture in the nuts will cause the filling to set slower, adding 10-15 minutes to the baking time.
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Guittard chips :) Reply with quote

Guittard chips are far superior to Ghiradelli. Good choice. I don't even consider Ghiradelli to be real chocolate, but then again, I am chocolate snob. I'd even choose Baker's chocolate brand any day over that cheap crap. Big smile
Annie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Too bad... Reply with quote

Brian, it's too bad you haven't lived in the SF or Monterey Bay areas and eaten at a Ghiradelli's... as a chocolate snob you would be pleased. I have eaten better and I don't like the chips from the supermarket, but from the Market in SF, it's very good. And of course they have the chocolate fair every year. Now, if we want to talk real chocolate... Belgium, or From the champs in Paris... OH!!!
Brandon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Pie size Reply with quote

The pies are in the oven.
For those of you reading along, I made a double recipe to make two pies, but one of my pie pans happens to be a 9.5" instead of the standard 9" (more pie!). However, simply doubling the recipe does not fill both crusts now. I'd recommend making one and a half recipes when using a 9.5" crust. Or, you can take the opportunity of the extra space to fill the top with fruit/light whipped cream/ice-cream/etc.
socal comp eng

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: bourbon version of pecan pie Reply with quote

I always make a bourbon chocolate pecan pie. I roast the pecans in the oven, and then soak them in a cup of bourbon for a few hours. Drain the pecans, and then mix it all together and bake. With the extra moisture, it will take an extra 10-20 minutes, but it's worth it.
Vickie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Just what I've been looking for! Reply with quote

I've been searching for a chocolate pecan pie recipe that does not use corn syrup for my Thanksgiving dinner this year. I will test run this recipe before Thanksgiving to make sure it comes out right, but just by the ingredients alone, I'm sure it will be delicious. Thank You for all your work in posting this recipe.
ewr2san

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Blind Baking crust Reply with quote

I baked 2 of this pie. For one I covered the edge of the crust, and baked it till slightly golden (about 15 min in a preheated 400 oven). The other un blind baked.
Both crusts were my standard homemade flaky crusts with shortening, butter, white 2/3 pastry flour 1/3 whole wheat pastry flour, etc..

The blind baked crust was substanitally better. It was crispier, flaky, and looked much better. The un-blind baked crust was noticibly soggier, ever so slightly doughy when compared with the blind baked one.

Definatley worth the 15 minutes to blind bake it. Just remember to cover the edges. I use a crust shield, some people swear by foil, others claim it is evil (pie and pastry bible). YMMV.
LHALLO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Eric's Pecan Pie Reply with quote

Well, it's in the oven now. I'll let you know. I was a little spectical about the maple syrup, dark brown sugar and so much chocolate. But I only changed using light brown sugar and I doubled the receipe using 3 eggs.
Thane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Delete this post

Bourbon chocolate pecan pie with maple syrup is basically just Derby Pie. Been eating it for a while as a Ky boy born and bred.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: