Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Dulce de Leche
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Dulce de leche Reply with quote

Well! I never knew this was a South American candy! When I lived in England 20 yrs ago, I was introduced to a pub desert called "Banoffi Pie" that used the same long-cooked tin of sweetened condensed milk. After boiling for 3 or so hours, then cooled, the tin was opened and the contents were spread into a prepared 9" crumb pie crust. Cover with 2-3 thinly sliced ripe bananas, followed with a topping of whipped double cream (48% BF). Sprinkle with chocolate curls. Yum!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first tasted this dish in Peru almost 40 years ago. They called it manjar blanco and you could buy it in cans at the grocery store already cooked. I came home all excited about this great Peruvian dish. When I described it to my family my aunt said, "Oh, your grandmother used to make that but we called it 'dirty pudding.'"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Variations Reply with quote

I have to say that there is no need at all to pierce the cans.
Keep them intact and then, as said earlier, store them in the cupboard.
I put 8-10 cans into a jam pan of water, and brought it to the boil then moved it into an oven at about 100-110C, and left it for at least 4 hours. This way there's no risk of the cans burning on the bottom of the pan.
There IS a drawback. The steam generated soaks into any crud you have on the walls of the oven, and then seeps out as a sort of horrible caramel liquor. Be Prepared. But it is a way of making a large batch of Dulce de Leche.
Now, you dry the tins carefully and store them in the cupboard. Over the course of a few months, the now-cooked sugar will start to crystallise and when you open the cans you have a lovely crunchy base for something like a banoffee pie.
Maria Isa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Even Easier Dulce de Leche Reply with quote

There's an even easier way of making this:
Put the can in a pan with enough boiling water to cover it, and just leave it boiling, that's it. Smile I left mine for 2 hours and it was perfect, but if you use a less dense sweetened condensed milk, it might take longer.
The only thing you have to do is check up on it every once in a while to put more water in, if too much has evaporated so it's always covered.
Maca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The traditional way of making dulce de leche (here in Chile we call it 'Manjar') is how danhiskka says: cooking milk and sugar in a big pot, stirring constantly until it turns light brown. And, in my humble opinion, it is waay better than the stuff made from condensed milk (best made in a pressure cooker).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Just made it! Reply with quote

I must have gone a cycle or two beyond. I now have excellent, yummy, caramel candy.

I was trying to shoot for something of the consistency of cajeta, which is still kind of runny. My fault; I was judging by color and not consistency. Definitely will try this again!
tvlgtrfls

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: dulce de leche dessert Reply with quote

Since there were several responders from So.America, can somebody post a recipe for this yummy cake we had in Bueno Aires that uses dulce de leche and meringue and looks like snow-capped mountains? When we asked the waiter what it was called, the name sounded like "RAQUEL" or RAKEL. I have googled it but can't seem to find anything on it. Or if no recipe is available, is there a bakery/restaurant/cafe in the U.S. that sells or serves it? I tell you, it is to die for!!! Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: argentinian cake Reply with quote

Found this link for "rogel"

http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2008/07/rogel-de-dulce-de-leche.html

sounds good
dulce de leche

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Despite all the naysaying about folks that have absolutely no trouble with the long method, etc. etc., I wanted to add my thanks for offering a much, much quicker method. It's really no trouble at all, and you get perfect results. I appreciate it!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the person who referred me to the Big Red Kitchen website for a recipe for the Argentinian cake made with dulce de leche, called "ROGEL" a big thanks. Finally I can attempt to recreate that truly scrumptious dessert! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
"gagafordulcedeleche"
"tvlgtrfls"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: alfajor rogel or torta rogel Reply with quote

this is my recipe for the rogel, it always works fantastic
9 yolks
9 table spoon of oil (canola or corn)
9 table spoon of flour
put in the working table the flour like a ring, then put in the middle the yolks and the oil and start to mix.
form 6 little balls and let them rest under a table cloth or similar for 30 minutes.
flat them with the roling pin in a circular form, very thin, mark it with a fork and cook on a medium oven 3 minutes each side (they shoul look cook but still white).
then for the italian merengue you can use any recipie... the most conventional is 3 egg whites, 1 cup of sugar litle water, just enough to wet the sugar. you have to ccok the sugar to "firm ball" consistence.
Start to beat the whites, and add this cook sugar very slowly... continue beating until the bowl is cold.
here is a picture: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jCNDh0FNybY/SLLuXWUhN_I/AAAAAAAAAFk/HZVDNDwihzk/s1600-h/P1010117.JPG
the condense milk can of dulce de leche is way to far with the traditional milk and sugar cook, but it takes to long to cook the milks... so if you cant buy a store dulce de leche, the condense milk its fine...
here is alink to real dulce de leche recipie: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Dulce-de-Leche/Detail.aspx
and its right, all the "y" at the end of the pronunciation are wrong! you can say dulce "the" leche
jimmy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: alfajor rogel or torta rogel Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
all the "y" at the end of the pronunciation are wrong! you can say dulce "the" leche

I don't think Michael means for you to pronounce the Y part of "say" "day" and "chay"... althought "chay" isn't a word, "say" and "day" are and it seems pretty clear how he's suggesting we pronounce it. In your part of the world, is "say" and "day" pronounced with a "y" sound? In American English (whether or not it's "correct") we pronounce it with a simple long a sound (no "y").
blondeaccountant.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: homemade candy Reply with quote

For those that don't mind the ole stirrin way, and love homemade candy, here's our Key West family recipe for homemade fudge with condensed milk. I used to work in my aunt's fudge factory as a kid and we used to make it in gigantic sheets. This is why I can't eat sugar now. Big smile

Use a very thick dutch oven type pot--we used the bottom of a pressure cooker that we had lost the top.

Turn the heat on med hi and put in 6 heaping tablespoons of white sugar and not quite 6 tablespoons of water--just enough to moisten the sugar and let it spread out so it will dissolve into the water base. Ok, if you want more, sure you can make it with 1/2 or 1 cup or even 2 cups of sugar if you want--it's just gonna make it harder and kill you faster. Experiment with what you like best, but we minimized the sugar and water because the condensed milk has both, and cooked it longer.

So stir until the sugar is bubbling all over and drops clear from a very long handled spoon. You don't want to get this on you, it's very painful! The trick is to not let the sugar stick on the bottom of the pot, not to get burned, and not to overcook it or have sugar crystals appear all over. You can use a candy thermometer, but that takes all the fun out of it. I don't know what the temp would be--somewhere just beyond softball stage but before hard.

Stir in a can of condensed milk (it's sweetened--not evaporated). Then squeeze in a packet of liquid bitter or semisweet chocolate, or a square of same. If you want it really dark put 1 more in. Stir really well until the whole thing is really starting to get dark and thick and the bubbles are large and popping. You may have to turn the heat down to med.

Drop small spoonfuls into a bowl filled with ice water every few minutes as it starts to get dark. Try to form small balls and pick them up with one hand in the ice water, while stirring the pot with the other that's getting overheated--it's fun! If soft balls form, it's getting done. When the sides of the pot scrape white, it is done.

While you're stirring, it's inevitable the phone will ring, someone will be at the door, your kid will fall down, your husband will have a crisis, someone will die on tv, whatever. You'll either have to keep stirring or take it off the burner. Do not leave it on the burner or unattended. It will cause a fire or burn someone very badly. And make sure your pot handle is not reaching over the edge of the stove or your kid will really get scarred.

Not that this happened to anyone I know of course, but you can see how it could. So anyway, after it's ready, then

Drop in a block of butter and stir in good, then stir in a teaspoon of vanilla extract (if you cheat on this or the butter it won't taste good--it'll have an aftertaste). Then pour into a 13x9 in rectangle baking pan that has been prebuttered and already sitting on a rack. Do not get this on you, it burns even worse than before you put the butter in.

If you want nuts, either stir them in after the vanilla, or spread them on the bottom of the buttered pan and pour the fudge over them--this is a good trick for making one half of the pan with nuts and one half not--for those that don't want nuts and you're forced to share. Pecans or walnuts, depending on what you like. I like pecans cuz I'm southern.

When it cools enough, cut it into l" squares with a buttered knife. If you make em bigger they'll just make you sick. You're gonna end up eating 2 or 3 every few hours anyway until they're gone or someone else snags em, so make them little so you won't feel so guilty. And they're great with that morning java. You can even cut down on the sugar in the coffee!

And if you mess it up, and it's too soft, then you have the perfect center for popcorn balls. Just leave it in the pot, you may have to add a little more butter to keep it soft, and then make the popcorn. Drop 2" balls into the popcorn bowl, and roll around, one at a time, until you can pick the ball up with your hands. Just put them on some wax paper or something til they harden up a little. Yummee.

Cleanup? The kids love scrapin the pot when it's cool. Then just put soapy water in it til the rest comes off. If you burn yourself while you're making it, just take an ice cube out of the bowl of water and put it on the spot while you keep stirrin. It'll keep the scarrin to a minimum. If you really can't handle it, then take it off the stove until you can get over the pain. But chances are the fudge won't make it and then you'll have that scar for nothing. So you might as well keep stirring and get some fudge outta the deal!

We didn't have tv when I was a kid and we made all of our baked goods and desserts, including fried donuts. No wonder we all have diabetes and heart disease lol. Enjoy! Teasing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Dulce de Leche Reply with quote

Just wondering if you can you use dulce de leche as an add in when baking biscotti or will the baking of the biscotti just melt it and ruin the biscotti?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Lazy Dulce de leche Reply with quote

If you're really lazy, another failsafe way to make this is to strip the cans of condensed milk, place them in a crock pot/slow cooker on low, nearly covered in water, and leave it overnight.

Does it take a long time? Yup. But you don't have to tend to it, and you wake up the next morning with creamy, sweet goodness to drizzle or spoon over your waffles. =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: