Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: Marshmallows
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jane from PA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: HomeMade Marshmallows Reply with quote

I saw this website on Friday and I just made my first batch of marshmallows. The clean up is definately more challenging than the actual cooking of the candy. I'm excited to see how they taste tomorrow after they sit overnight. Smile
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: HomeMade Marshmallows Reply with quote

jane from PA wrote:
The clean up is definately more challenging than the actual cooking of the candy.

Soaking the bowls in hot water for a few minutes should dissolve the sugar and gelatin mixture stuck to it. Then just wash normally.
Di

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Marshmallows Reply with quote

This is for mary-ellen from way back in July (hopefully you are still here). I haven't made these marshmallows yet, but I think I can answer your question about gooier, deflated marshmallows. You had mentioned that it was humid and raining the day you made it. That was probably what happened. Sugar is known to suck water right out of the air, even when in a syrup. This is why some candies (divinity is one that comes to mind) don't work when it's raining. For instance, I *tried* to make caramels for Christmas, but they turned into a sticky mess, all because it was raining that day. Now, my problem is that I always get in inspiration to cook when it's raining! I'm going to have to find a nice dry desert so I can try out this recipe! Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Fantastic Gelatin Free Marshmallow Recipe Reply with quote

After searching for a long time looking for a gelatin free marshmallow recipe, I finally found one that works beautifully. My thanks to all of those chefs who contributed to the knowledge of this recipe, especially Elizabeth Faulkner of Demolition Desserts.

60 ml water
pinch of cream of tartar
255 gr. granulated sugar
255 gr. light corn syrup (I used GMO free glucose)
1/2 vanilla bean
85 gr. egg whites (3 eggs at room temperature)
5 gr. xanthan gum

Ground xanthan gum with a Tbls of sugar. Set Aside. Heat water, cream of tartar, remaining sugar, corn syrup, and vanilla to 120 degrees celsius (248 degrees F) Discard vanilla bean. Whisk egg whites for about 2 minutes until still soft. Continue whipping egg whites at slow speed while adding syrup slowly. Sprinkle xanthan mix while still whipping. Turn speed up and continue mixing for 2-3 minutes or until meringue pulls away from sides. Sprinkle a pan or baking sheet with corn starch and spread out the meringue. Sprinkle top with cornstarch, cover with plastic and leave to set 4 hours in refrigerator. Cut marshmallows in desired shapes and dip surfaces in corn starch (preferably GMO free). I doubled this recipe and layed it into a half sheet pan and it worked out beautifully.
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: EGGFREE/ VEGAN /VEGETARIAN MARSHMALLOWS Reply with quote

Someone was wanting to make vegetarian/vegan (egg free) marshmallows. I have a successful recipe that can be made at home.

You need at least electric hand held beaters but better still a sturdy cake mixer.

The point most of us (egg free eaters) have been over-looking until now is that you need to beat up a fluffy mixture into which to pour the hot jell mixture. Then it's a matter of beating it in a cake mixer for 10 minutes until nice and...well, marshmallowy

A fluffy mixture can be produced by using soy protein isolate.

My recipe can be found at
http://www.meatandeggfree.com/agar-marshmallows.html
Kawa

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Marshmallow fluff Reply with quote

Is there some way to make this so it hardens less quickly, thus making marshmallow fluff?
Sandra

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: "Sweaty Marshmallows" Reply with quote

I made a batch of the marshmallows listed above and they didn't turn out as I hoped. I don't live in a humid environment so I can't understand why my marshmallows are sweating and melting before me. The only thing I did differently was use the gelatin sheets instead of the Knox brand gelatin. I made sure the equivalents were exact. Is there a difference between using gelatin sheets and the gelatin powder packets?
TEvans

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: vegetarian marshmallows Reply with quote

I tried Natural Desserts Unflavored Jel Dessert as the vegetarian gelatin substitute. The original recipe called for 21 grams of gelatin. I used 2 boxes - 20 grams. To see if this vegetable gum mix was a 1:1 with Knox gelatin, I checked a package of regular flavored gelatin and subtracted out the sugar. The regular gelatin was 77g with 17g sugar times 4 servings - 68g sugar. This left approximately 9 grams of gelatin. The Natural Desserts was 10 grams, but not all of it was vegetable gum. The serving sizes were both at 1/2 cup and 4 per package.

So approximately 1g gelatin: 1 Jel Dessert.

I did not cook for one minute or until hard ball. I was aiming for soft ball and got something inbetween soft ball and hard ball as I was trying to mix the gelatin with water at the same time. I took the advice of a previous writer and attempted to whip the Jel before adding the syrup. It did not whip. I did not use cold water as the package suggested that cold water made it lump. But hot water also made it lump.

I mixed for probably 1/2 hour at high speed on a hand-held mixer. It didn't seem to be fluffing more, but it wasn't very fluffy. It did become quite white and reminded me of the fondant I made once - in color not consistancy. It also tastes a little acidic as the Jel has acids in it - surprising yet pleasant.

I'm waiting to see how it sets, but at this point I believe that I have achieved Marshmallow Creme.
olathenicegal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Mallows! Reply with quote

You need to have a sugar that's naturally in liquid form in this process. You could use maple syrup instead of corn syrup and have Maple Mallows.

This is the recipe I have always used, with great success:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/CHRISTMAS-MARSHMALLOWS-50012067

I use the balloon whisk without issue, though the addition of beaten egg whites changes the consistency from taffy-like thick candy to fluffy mallow and I'm sure that makes a big difference in my experience.

There's truly nothing like a home-made mallow!!

If you're hosting a part and want the classic hot chocolate with a mallow on top, I recommend Nestle's Abuelita hot chocolate. It's a spiced hot cocoa that comes in blocks you must grind up then blend with hot milk to make, but it's worth the work if you've already invested the time in mallows!

I've even considered buying a snowflake cookie cutter and make mallow-snowflakes to float on the top of a mug! Dip cutter in hot water, then cut mallow and dredge in sugar mix. Lots of work, but serious wow factor!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: marshmellows Reply with quote

I just made your marshmallow recipe. It looks great and tastes great, although it's not time to cut them yet. My only dilemma is that I couldn't get all of it out of the bowl and into the pan, it was stringy and wouldn't all come out of the bowl. Of coarse my little grand daughter didn't mind licking some of it, but I lost some b/c it wouldn't leave the side and bottom of the bowl! I just am now soaking it in water to clean up the bowl. So, I guess my question is why, and what to do about it. Thanks for the recipe and I am sure we'll use it often, she has an allergy to egg whites, so this will be perfect for toasting marshmallows in the fire! jane[/b]
Salma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Honey Reply with quote

I made marshmallows the other day according to this recipe, however I replaced the corn syrup with honey, and the result was AMAZING.

I recommend using honey as corn syrup substitute!
Stella

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: peppermint marshmallows Reply with quote

I add peppermint instead of vanilla sometimes and a couple drops of red food coloring and swirling it in teh pan while they are still warm with a toothpick. the marshmallows are swirly pink and white and taste amazing in hot chocolate!
i have also thought about doing the same with orange oil and orange food coloring Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched an episode of Martha Stewart and this is the exact recipe she used. I can't wait to try it. I would love to find a vegan version, but I
'm afraid they may just be too difficult to bother with.

I mainly wanted to comment that I can't believe the number of people who post that they didn't follow the recipe AT ALL and want to know why theirs didn't turn out. Ummm, try following the recipe?!

This is a great recipe and I'm glad to find people who like to know some of the science behind cooking!
ramenfreak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: "real" corn syrup Reply with quote

Assuming this recipe was written with the U.S. as it's intended audience; the corn syrup needed in the recipe is most likely Karo, light corn syrup. Personally, I'm not a fan of using Karo, since the first ingredient is high fructose corn syrup. I sought out a company in CA and ordered a large jar of corn syrup which only contains natural corn syrup. The consistency is a little thicker and the color is significantly darker, almost a caramel color.

Has anyone had any experience making this recipe using "real" corn syrup? I'm guessing that if others are using honey as a replacement, then this corn syrup should ultimately work, but I guess I'm concerned about the color.
wader

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: This recipe worked very well, as-is Reply with quote

Following the author's path (including temperature and whipping time) everything came out quite well for me.

I used a hand mixer and the marshmallows came out somewhat light in density but not at all airy.

They melted quite nicely in hot cocoa, fwiw.

Thanks for sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 16 of 19

Jump to: