Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: Marshmallows
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honey works well as a substitute for corn syrup. Marshmallows will be darker in color, but taste just as good.
suz8t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Marshmallow Reply with quote

I would like to know if anyone has tried Splenda? I seen that it was previously mentioned in the past. Can you tell me the exact recipe and if it is a marshmallow feel and taste?
missE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: flavoring Reply with quote

I added some peppermint extract, about a teaspoon, and a couple drops of red food dye for candy cane effect. Thinking of trying coconut and maple flavorings.
boysmom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: marshmallows Reply with quote

1. We make marshmallows every Christmas - I have found an organic corn syrup by Wholesome Sweeteners that is incredibly delicious! You can google them to find out where to purchase.

2. Sometimes my marshmallows are rubbery and I can't figure out why. Some recipes say to "bloom" the gelatin for 10 minutes, and others say 30 minutes to an hour. There are also variations in how much gelatin to use...would this cause rubber marshmallows? Or is it related to the temperature of the syrup or the beating time?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you shouldn't be a chef instead of a computer programmer? :-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished making a batch using this recipe, with my own added bachelor-style additions:

In the sugar mixture at the beginning, add a packet of hot chocolate mix for chocolate flavor marshmellows. Turns the sugar an awful brown, and you might worry about the result looking too...unedible. Nonetheless, it works fine, the resulting confection is a light tan. I also added a 1/4 tsp of Peppermint extract at the end for Chocolate Mint Marshmellows!

The timing on this is accurate, but can be messed with. I stirred the sugar mix regularly on low heat, and had it bolied & hot, ready to mix in at the 10 minute mark, just as the Gelatine was bloomed and ready.

No powdered sugar? Blend 2 cups of regular sugar in your blender, giving it a firm shake every couple of seconds. Instant powdered sugar!

Finally, I put the contents in a plastic bag, cut a corner, and squeezed out tubes of marshmellow onto sheets dusted with powdered sugar. Work fast, as the marshmellow confection reaches room temperature, it starts to harden, and make a HUGE mess. I must have thrown away 20% due to it sticking to various implements you work with. (OK, OK, I ate most of it off, but it was still tough to clean!)
Mimi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Stickiness! Reply with quote

Thanks for this recipe, it saved me from buying sheets of gelatin because the inspiration from the cookbook Baked suggested sheets but packets are so much more convenient. I think I waited too long to pour the mixture into the pan because it was SOOOOOO sticky that I could not get my hands clear of the mixture. I was stuck to most of the marshmallows in the pan and there was more in the bowl that I had to rinse out because I could not get it out of the bowl without creating streams of marshmallows. I think that beating for 12 mins on a Kitchenaid mixer might be too much.
Sweet & Sara

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Vegetarian / Vegan Marshmallows Reply with quote

Great News for those not in the know, Sweet & Sara, LLC products include vegan marshmallows and smore pies!

We are sold through many retail and online stores. For more information and retailers near you check out our website at www.sweetandsara.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? any subsitute for unflavored geletan
American Idle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Very nice - I added mint as well to half the recipe Reply with quote

I made a full batch up to the point where extract is added. It seemed to me that I could go any number of ways at that point. I ended up adding the vanilla extract and pouring off ~half of the recipe to an 8x8 pan For the rest, I added a bit (1/2 teaspoon? - I eyeballed it - it turned out to be a bit too much) and several drops of green food coloring. It turned out very nice, although a bit too strong on the mint flavor.

I imagine you could add some instant coffee to get coffee-marshmallows or orange/lemon extract and zest or any other number of things as well.

In any case, this is a good base recipe and a lot of fun.
jamesmcl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: substitute coffee for the water in the gelatin Reply with quote

On January 18, 2009 at 05:38 AM, American Idle (guest) said...
Subject: Very nice - I added mint as well to half the recipe
"I imagine you could add some instant coffee to get coffee"

I made a similar recipe and I bloomed the gelatin in cold drip brewed coffee.
tats1029

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Gelatine Reply with quote

Hello there..great site! Have a query regarding the gelatine though - we don't have Knox in the UK. We use Super Cook beef gelatine instead (which totals to 70 grams per 6 sachets in the box). How many grams does the 3 Knox gelatine equals to any idea please? So i can just probably substitute..maybe? Thanks!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Gelatine Reply with quote

tats1029 wrote:

Hello there..great site! Have a query regarding the gelatine though - we don't have Knox in the UK. We use Super Cook beef gelatine instead (which totals to 70 grams per 6 sachets in the box). How many grams does the 3 Knox gelatine equals to any idea please? So i can just probably substitute..maybe? Thanks!

I believe one envelope of Knox gelatin is about 7 grams. Two of your satchels should be roughly the same.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: marshmallows Reply with quote

I am wondering whether I could use friut juice in place of some of the water in the Marshmallows? Has anyone tried this?

This is the first time I've encountered this website. I am amazed and delighted. I was just wondering how one would make homemade marshmallows and now I have to try to do it myself. Thanks
Lydia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Using fruit juice Reply with quote

I tried with homemade strawberry juice. The flavour and smell is great and the color that comes out is a nice pink.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 15 of 19

Jump to: