Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fudge Recipe - any ideas why it's gone grainy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dotty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Fudge Recipe - any ideas why it's gone grainy? Reply with quote

Hello
I love this website - I've been meaning to post but when I get on here I just keep reading!
I'm trying to make a smooth creamy firm fudge. After many weeks today I actually got a fudge texture - first time.
When I beat the mixture until it loses the gloss - although it is creamy & melts in the mouth there is a grainy feeling also. Not alot but it's noticable.
Does it mean I've over beaten it?
I tried another batch & kept on beating but it just got thicker & thicker & was still the same.
I took extra care to ensure the sugar & milk were completely melted -no granules at all. I can't work it out. Should I not stir when melting or not stir when bringing up to the temperature??

Please, any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
puzzled dotty
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the recipe?
dotty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Fudge - Grainy Reply with quote

Hi Michael - 2 cups of sugar melted with 2/3 cup of coconut milk. On a very low heat, stirring now & then until all sugar dissolved. Turned heat very slightly up - bring to 235F.
Take off heat, add 3/4 cup of coconut oil & vanilla - not to stir at all until mixture cools to 110F.
Once cooled beat until mixture loses gloss.
What do you think?

Thank you!
hopeful dotty
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's... interesting. I'm used to the typical sugar, milk, butter recipes (and as an American I assumed chocolate - glad I asked for the recipe). I've never used coconut milk or coconut oil in this application - so hopefully someone else can comment.

By the way, where are you located?
islander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm coconut milk does seem interesting. Not sure if your still trying as I see if your post is back in Jan but im guessing mabey your thermometer is off and cooking to hot or its taking to long to get up to temp and is crystallizing your sugar. There must be sugar experts out there that gave give better help then me but thats my guess. Havent made fudge in years.
guest 38016

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: grainey fudge Reply with quote

I once read a fudge recipe that said if you stir the mixture as it is coming to a boil or while it is boiling, it will be grainey. Because I like grainey fudge, I always stir mine while it is boiling. Wink Perhaps you stirred at the wrong time.
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Alton Brown solved this Reply with quote

The problem is that your sugar is crystallizing -- the easiest way to prevent that is to add some corn syrup to the mixture before you heat it. See here for an explanation, or watch the Good Eats episode on Fudge.
danicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me I usually stir it in rapid boil form and upon turning the heat I'm still stirring it for couple of minutes. Coconut milk was good for me. I've try it before and not bad for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum